Meze 99 Neo Discussion + Impressions Thread
Dec 11, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #556 of 582
Initial impressions are good. Bass is some of the most articulate I have heard regardless of headphone. Just plain awesome. However, I feel vocals are held back too far in the mix and just don't sound natural. Muffled somewhat. Normally don't EQ but am open to suggestions.

Dec 11, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #557 of 582
Maybe my eyes are too old, but I have looked and cannot discern the L/R orientation. Help is appreciated. BTW - they obviously arrived early. Thanks.

To quote PinkyPowers, the cups don't care. The cable will determine left and right.

Edited to add: Meze adds a ridge to the left connector if you have difficulty seeing the L and R on the cnnectors. I sometimes do...especially at night. Nice to be able to feel it.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #558 of 582
To quote PinkyPowers, the cups don't care. The cable will determine left and right.

Edited to add: Meze adds a ridge to the left connector if you have difficulty seeing the L and R on the connectors. I sometimes do...especially at night. Nice to be able to feel it.
Thanks MB. Was very hard to see but I found. The ridge makes life much easier.

Dec 8, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #559 of 582
Hello guys!
So i just add Neo's to my portative setup
I want to ask you about new not so expensive cable (frm aliexpress maybe)
Picsart_22-12-08_19-39-58-345.jpg

Jan 10, 2023 at 8:57 PM Post #560 of 582
So after almost two months using the new velour pads I would like to provide an update.

These pads collect some extra fluff in comparison with the sennheiser velour pads.
Also you may like the change in sound signature or you may not but for me now the Neo is a totally different headphone.

I like it a lot and since I cannot use my other open headphones due to family constraints I am exclusively listen to them the last two months.

I do not care if 58x, 6xx or 4xx are better because simply I cannot use them where I can use my neo. With the new pads any criticism is due to ommision in comparison to a better headphone and not due to any offensive flaw.

As my previous balanced cable became faulty I decided to buy the original Meze balanced cable under the fifty percent discount. I still find 50£ a lot for a cable but from a brief listening today I can say that it deserves every penny. In combination with my beloved xCan the sound is amazing!!!

I am also happy to see Meze introducing a reasonable shipping cost option to UK! Well done!

Now I am looking forward for Meze original special tuned velour pads that will make full justice to the beloved 99 series which unquestionably deserves.
I had replaced my factory ear pads with the Brainwavz Hybrid velour pads too and, initially, they fit on the Meze ear cups very loosely but still sealed. The y really improved the depth and prevented my ear from touching the inside, but b/c of the loose fit I had to adjust (jostle) them to me ears for proper frequency dispersion. The sound signature also changed, as you stated, but not in a good way to me. I lost too much sub-bass, soundstage became narrower, and the overall sound was less detailed and bloated. I think it was leaking sound audio, b/c even though the shape Is oval it’s got a lot more air space surrounding the ear than the stock ones.
I loved these cans from the get go, but was just disappointed with the stock ear pads. I’ve dealt with this “synthetic“ leather 🙄 BS before and can attest to it’s ridiculous flaking & shedding process of degradation and try to avoid them like the plague. The faux leather degrades to rapidly also and becomes a constant ear pad replacement merry-go-round. I’ve tried to share my concerns and thoughts with manufacturers (those I respect😁) as to this issue, but most have either replied stating it’s a cost/supply/environmental issue or replied with the “We respect the lives of our furry friends in the animal kingdom blah, blah, blah..🤨😖🙄
I tried out 2 more aftermarket ear pads and hit Gold with the BW’z Sheepskin leather pads! The fit was a lot tighter and it totally solved all the issues I was having! Plus..they are as soft and supple as a newborn‘s…...derrière 😁. They’ve already lasted over a year and still look great! The sound signature actually improved for my likes! Soundstage extended a bit, got my sub bass back with even more tightness, and the musical articulation sounded even more detailed!
I know how personal the opinion becomes among those of us in the hobby when it comes to the Gold Standard for superior audio quality. It has always been contested and always be. That’s because we all have different ears, ear canals, and inner-ear “parts”…aka, are humanly engineered with a multitude of bodily variations. What fun would it be if we were all created the same🤣🤣
I thought I’d pass this on, if anyone is still looking for a good, viable replacement for their Meze 99’s ear pads. Plus, I picked them up from Amazon for around $37.00, a year ago! Hopefully, they’re still at this low price…..

BRAINWAVZ Sheepskin Ear Pads for ATH M50X, M50XBT, M40X, HyperX, SHURE, Turtle Beach, AKG, ATH, Philips, JBL, Fostex Replacement Memory Foam Earpads & Fits Many Headphones

Mar 26, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #561 of 582
Just bought new balanced cable for it :o2smile:
695ec68-2a85-445c-999a-25515ba3e284.jpg

Mar 26, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #563 of 582
Mar 26, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #564 of 582
Mar 27, 2023 at 2:56 AM Post #565 of 582
Mar 27, 2023 at 3:10 AM Post #566 of 582
They also have fresh new model on stock, but only in white(i want it in black😌)

https://www.linsoul.com/products/tr...7134363&pr_seq=uniform&variant=43531117002969
This looks great as well and is silver plated. Will suit the HD600 and HD650 better I guess. But is not available on amazon UK for the hd650 yet.

I ordered the balanced 4.4mm black 1.5m for HD660s and is coming today. But now I want the white as well....

I will test first in my 58x and see if sounds better than the silver plated I have. I paid a little bit more and ordered from amazon with the custom fees and vat you never know the final price.

For the meze neo I do not have the ability and time to make the mods...:)

Mar 28, 2023 at 2:57 AM Post #568 of 582
I want now the white too!!!

Amazing cable man thank you. My wife will kill me now but thank you...:)

Awesome one!!!!
I have same one and i checge the stock 3.5 connector to Neutrick one
Picsart_23-01-31_22-49-59-968.jpg

Mar 28, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #569 of 582
Awesome one!!!!
I have same one and i checge the stock 3.5 connector to Neutrick one
Picsart_23-01-31_22-49-59-968.jpg
Amazing! You have both HD600 and HD650 so cool.

I have the white original unbalanced cable from meze for my Neo and does not look bad at all. Black and white does an antithesis that is pleasant to my eye. But I don't use it currently because is too long for my current use (3M).

1.5m still is a bit long for my use but is manageable. 1.2 would be perfect.

I am seriously thinking to buy the white/grey above as well when they put sales again. I do not know how often they put sales but they had one on Sunday and I lost it. I am waiting for the next one. This cable is not in amazon for the HD650 so I will buy directly from them and I will wait.

Mar 28, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #570 of 582

Users who are viewing this thread

Back