Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Dec 23, 2023 at 10:23 PM Post #7,621 of 7,703
The connector itself is recessed pretty far into the cup, behind a long tunnel that provides a lot of strain relief. Disconnecting would be ideal, but if there's any headphone that's built to handle being lugged around with the cables connected, it's this one.
Thank you. I just don’t want to go against its intended usage, specially in the long term.

Dec 24, 2023 at 4:38 AM Post #7,623 of 7,703
Guys, looking for some advice.
Do you unplug the cable of your Meze 99 before putting it on its case? Do you think its made so it can also be stored with the cable plugged in?

I assumed there was no other way, but I just closed the zippers with the cable plugged to it, just rolled up in the center and it closed just fine, without feeling I’m forcing it or anything.

Any thoughts and recommendations?
I would personally disconnect every time.

Better safe than sorry. This is why i do not find these marginal fit cases very useful.

Dec 28, 2023 at 4:11 AM Post #7,624 of 7,703
The 99 Classic is a FUN headphone to listen to (here used with a Mojo 2, Roon and Quobuz/Tidal HD services).

I really wanted a 109 Pro, budgeted for them and expected great things but after hearing them at the Bristol show with up to £2.5k of HP amplifiers left disappointed. I then listened twice more at dealers (with my Chord) thinking all those reviews can't be wrong but ... .

To me (!) the 99 Classics clearly have the upper hand. There is a solidity, rhythm and fun to these the 109 just can not match, not even close. The 109 Pro do sound a little more spacious, unsurprisingly, they are open, but they also sound flat and uninspiring in direct comparison. No drive, not much fun and PRAT (pace, rhythm and timing for Naim afficionadas).

I have a pair of Sundaras, they do open and detailed whilst still sounding more animated than the 109 Pro.

Shame. I really (!) dig the looks and build quality.

I would have bought the Lyrics which sounded superb and (to me) are the real upgrade to the 99 but they were a little bit too expensive at the time due to other expenses.

As is, the 99 Classic (and I guess the Neo though I never heard them) are good headphones in the 250$ range. They have unusual looks and different sound to other good alternatives. Not necessarily better but different enough to make them viable alternatives. The build alone makes them worth the money. Lovely wood and metal, silver in my case.

I am no HP 'expert' though. These are merely my own impressions.

My other f/s HP's are the afromentioned Sundara, Beyerdynamic 700 Pro X, Grado SR80X and Beyerdynamic HD58X Jubilee. I use these with a Mojo 2 or Hegel and Audiolab amplification.

I also use some Samsung Galaxy Buds Live (the 'beans') for out and about/holidays. I got a pair of the successors, the Pro's but sold them on immediately. Not on the same level. After nearly 4 years of use the 'beans' still keep charge and work like new! So good I think they are I bought another pair some time ago for when the originals finally give the ghost up. Superb and I never ever feel I give much up vs. the others.

20230115_130954.jpg

20230222_091014.jpg

20230210_213956-01.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #7,625 of 7,703
Thank you. I just don’t want to go against its intended usage, specially in the long term.
I still wouldn’t do it unless there’s no other choice. Headphones are not made to store in a case with the cable attached. Plus….why?

Dec 29, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #7,626 of 7,703
Hi guys !

I am too lazy to read the last 100 pages but I would like too know: what are nowadays the best pads replacement options ?

I did it a couple of years ago and it was then a Japanese brand, which I don't remember the name...

Thanks !
I forget the name but had those pads

The Sheepskin Brainwavz are what I use. The Dekoni Sheepskin is also very good from what others have said but they are $80, too much for me to justify vs the BW pads

Jan 2, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #7,629 of 7,703
If you can get a good seal, all will give good bass. I have a funny shaped head with slightly indented temples and fairly large ears so these particular Meze's with original pads are a little difficult (but not impossible) to fit well. The two Brainwavz pads are a smidgen larger, not by much, but are also deeper. If you are one of those folks that find touching the driver plate with your ears is unbearable (I'm not) then the aftermarket pads are a good solution. For me and my nuggin the angled pads are a good solution but I also like the original ones.

Sound wise, its not a night and day difference. There may be a (slightly) bigger soundstage with the Brainwavz pads but its hardly noticeable. Bass, as always, is determined by pad seal. It's easier to reduce bass in a headphone, be that by positioning of the earpieces or EQ than it is to add bass so these 99 Classics should fit many. The Brainwavz pads are well made, cheap and should last a good while. They fit well but Meze's way of securing them to the enclosures is not exactly leading edge. Still, considering what you get for the money its not worth loosing sleep over it.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #7,630 of 7,703
If you can get a good seal, all will give good bass. I have a funny shaped head with slightly indented temples and fairly large ears so these particular Meze's with original pads are a little difficult (but not impossible) to fit well. The two Brainwavz pads are a smidgen larger, not by much, but are also deeper. If you are one of those folks that find touching the driver plate with your ears is unbearable (I'm not) then the aftermarket pads are a good solution. For me and my nuggin the angled pads are a good solution but I also like the original ones.

Sound wise, its not a night and day difference. There may be a (slightly) bigger soundstage with the Brainwavz pads but its hardly noticeable. Bass, as always, is determined by pad seal. It's easier to reduce bass in a headphone, be that by positioning of the earpieces or EQ than it is to add bass so these 99 Classics should fit many. The Brainwavz pads are well made, cheap and should last a good while. They fit well but Meze's way of securing them to the enclosures is not exactly leading edge. Still, considering what you get for the money its not worth loosing sleep over it.
Thanks a lot of great info there. I overall like the sound of my sound of my Classics and don’t want to change them much. However, I’m not partial to having my ears touch the driver foam. I may have to give the brain waves a chance. Thanks

Jan 5, 2024 at 11:39 PM Post #7,631 of 7,703
Hi guys !

I am too lazy to read the last 100 pages but I would like too know: what are nowadays the best pads replacement options ?

I did it a couple of years ago and it was then a Japanese brand, which I don't remember the name...

Thanks !

I swapped the stock Meze 99 pads with Dekoni Elite sheepskin pads. Actually feels like soft pillows on my ears now and I can wear them for hours. The bass bleed into the mids has been toned down quite a bit. Sounds amazing to me. I highly recommend them.
https://dekoniaudio.com/product/elite-sheepskin-for-meze-99-headphones/

Jan 7, 2024 at 9:31 AM Post #7,632 of 7,703
And the cable is easily replaceable/up-gradable. Probably the most durable headphone & cable combo I have, all the others
have suspect joins at cup to headband, seems to be where most eventually break. And well, there's Grado which usually dies
because there is no strain relief where the wire enters the ear cup.

Jan 7, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #7,633 of 7,703
Got my first pair of 99 classics a few days ago; unfortunately, I'm a bit underwhelmed by the sound quality and comfort (another case of drivers touching the ears) but I'm completely in love the look and repairability of them and am keeping them for those reasons, lol.

I tried the larger brainwavz pads but unfortunately, they make the treble a bit to sizzly for me (i have weird sensitivity to treble that I think most others may not have.) Hoping I warm up to the sound/comfort w/ the stock pads the more I use them. (fingers crossed)

Jan 7, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #7,634 of 7,703
Got my first pair of 99 classics a few days ago; unfortunately, I'm a bit underwhelmed by the sound quality and comfort (another case of drivers touching the ears) but I'm completely in love the look and repairability of them and am keeping them for those reasons, lol.

I tried the larger brainwavz pads but unfortunately, they make the treble a bit to sizzly for me (i have weird sensitivity to treble that I think most others may not have.) Hoping I warm up to the sound/comfort w/ the stock pads the more I use them. (fingers crossed)

Brainwavz pads are just generic replacement pads. They are not tuned for any specific headset, just for fitment. Try the Dekoni Elite sheepskin pads for Meze 99. They refine the tuning, use genuine sheepskin and did a great job getting the drivers off of my ears.

Jan 7, 2024 at 3:22 PM Post #7,635 of 7,703
Brainwavz pads are just generic replacement pads. They are not tuned for any specific headset, just for fitment. Try the Dekoni Elite sheepskin pads for Meze 99. They refine the tuning, use genuine sheepskin and did a great job getting the drivers off of my ears.
I appreciate the recommendation, but the dekoni pads are literally half of what I paid for the headphones themselves and I just can't justify that cost for pads. 😢

Users who are viewing this thread

Back