Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Nov 5, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #7,606 of 7,704
I ordered the Meze 99 classics about 3-4 months ago and they do NOT have the big bass talked about in the older hype - the bass is still solid and there but I found the headphone actually a lot brighter than I envisioned! It's very comfortable and I haven't had a ton of time with it, but was considering selling it as first impressions were not super positive for me on the sound signature, at least on whatever version I got that is current. Then again, I've listened to it a few more times recently and get surprised by the imaging and so I think I need to just let it breathe for a while and chill out
Definitely and it gets way better on better dacs and amplifiers. And I heard a balanced cable can improve sound a little too. I like them, compared to my HD660S and AKG712 pro. All are good at something else. But for rock and electronic music I like the Meze the most so far.

Nov 5, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #7,607 of 7,704
Hey guys. A question:
Is it real Meze did some minor technical revisions on the 99 Classics that affected bass performance a little bit, arguably for the better?

If so, would I get this version if I order it from Amazon next black friday???
All I can say that I’ve read it’s true there have been revisions and they all seem to slightly be better. Plus if you still not happy get a balanced cable I heard it improves sound again especially in the mids - that’s my plan as well!

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #7,608 of 7,704
@Retrofutur.fr has the 99 Classics - Retrofutur 10th Anniversary Edition now available:
IMG_20231108_075644.jpg

Nov 19, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #7,612 of 7,704
Is it really the Meze 99 have a very relaxed sound signature?

I want that (relaxed listening) as opposed to my very neutralish headphone collection as an alternative.

I’ve listened to some reviews that say it has somewhat high peaks in treble and very V-shape. Some say is not that at all and that is in fact very relaxed.

What’s been your experience overall? Thanks so much in advance!

Nov 19, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #7,613 of 7,704
Is it really the Meze 99 have a very relaxed sound signature?

I want that (relaxed listening) as opposed to my very neutralish headphone collection as an alternative.

I’ve listened to some reviews that say it has somewhat high peaks in treble and very V-shape. Some say is not that at all and that is in fact very relaxed.

What’s been your experience overall? Thanks so much in advance!
I would say its quite relaxed, not to the point of sennheiser HD 600 Series.
But if you have a better dac/amp the 4-8k raize in treble energy wont be noticed.
Id say bass and treble have a lot more detail but i can listen no problem even on not that great gear, if you need to listen all day > Sennheiser.
The bass is a lot better and voices almost sound as good as with the Sennheiser but not as natural.

Short Sennheiser 600 mid centric more relaxed.
Meze more fun but cant listen all day but thats mostly the pads and if you dont plug it into a better hardware.

I'm planning to upgrade the cable to balanced and i heard it solved a lot of problems in the graph, brings them down more flat.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #7,614 of 7,704
I would say its quite relaxed, not to the point of sennheiser HD 600 Series.
But if you have a better dac/amp the 4-8k raize in treble energy wont be noticed.
Id say bass and treble have a lot more detail but i can listen no problem even on not that great gear, if you need to listen all day > Sennheiser.
The bass is a lot better and voices almost sound as good as with the Sennheiser but not as natural.

Short Sennheiser 600 mid centric more relaxed.
Meze more fun but cant listen all day but thats mostly the pads and if you dont plug it into a better hardware.

I'm planning to upgrade the cable to balanced and i heard it solved a lot of problems in the graph, brings them down more flat.
Thank you for your detailed replay. I have the HD600 and HD6XX, and love them but yeah, I also want a fun closed back headphone with lots but quality bass, and relatively relaxed overall.

My gear is Schit Modi 3+ and Schiit Magni Heresy.

Nov 23, 2023 at 5:39 AM Post #7,616 of 7,704
Guys,

Do I need to buy those smaller pads for Meze, or the standard ones are good enough?

I'm about to order headphones so I'm wondering should I buy additional pads?

Thanks!
To me, yes. The smaller pads make a great difference, transforming a dull and bassy sound into a very pleasant, warmer headphone experience. The Meze 99 Classics with the larger pads make the sound too messy and bloated, IMHO.

Nov 23, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #7,618 of 7,704
I've ordered headphones one hour ago, and extra small pads.
I use the angled oval sheepskin pads by Brainwavz Audio on my Classics, aside from not having ear discomfort issues, I prefer the sound adjustment compared to the smaller sizes. I did try their synthetic leather pads of similar dimensions and hated it, as a comparison, for whatever that's worth. Cheers mate 🎧

Dec 23, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #7,619 of 7,704
Guys, looking for some advice.
Do you unplug the cable of your Meze 99 before putting it on its case? Do you think its made so it can also be stored with the cable plugged in?

I assumed there was no other way, but I just closed the zippers with the cable plugged to it, just rolled up in the center and it closed just fine, without feeling I’m forcing it or anything.

Any thoughts and recommendations?

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #7,620 of 7,704
Guys, looking for some advice.
Do you unplug the cable of your Meze 99 before putting it on its case? Do you think its made so it can also be stored with the cable plugged in?

I assumed there was no other way, but I just closed the zippers with the cable plugged to it, just rolled up in the center and it closed just fine, without feeling I’m forcing it or anything.

Any thoughts and recommendations?
The connector itself is recessed pretty far into the cup, behind a long tunnel that provides a lot of strain relief. Disconnecting would be ideal, but if there's any headphone that's built to handle being lugged around with the cables connected, it's this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back