Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Jan 7, 2024 at 5:55 PM Post #7,636 of 7,696
I appreciate the recommendation, but the dekoni pads are literally half of what I paid for the headphones themselves and I just can't justify that cost for pads. 😢

I completely understand. I got the Meze 99 Noir and it sucks that I had to spend $79 on pads after $199 on the headphones, but just saying that the Dekoni Elite sheepskin are a significant upgrade to the PU leather stock pads. Comfort is a big deal for me with a headphone. If it's not comfortable I don't care how great it sounds. And the Meze 99 drivers touched my ears too. To the point it was annoying and I put the Meze 99 away, didn't listen to them for months. Decided to take the dive on the Dekoni and wow, total upgrade in sound and comfort.

I'd wear the Meze 99 with Dekoni more if it wasn't for needing to hear my wife try and have conversations with me. :relaxed:

Jan 7, 2024 at 7:37 PM Post #7,637 of 7,696
I completely understand. I got the Meze 99 Noir and it sucks that I had to spend $79 on pads after $199 on the headphones, but just saying that the Dekoni Elite sheepskin are a significant upgrade to the PU leather stock pads. Comfort is a big deal for me with a headphone. If it's not comfortable I don't care how great it sounds. And the Meze 99 drivers touched my ears too. To the point it was annoying and I put the Meze 99 away, didn't listen to them for months. Decided to take the dive on the Dekoni and wow, total upgrade in sound and comfort.

I'd wear the Meze 99 with Dekoni more if it wasn't for needing to hear my wife try and have conversations with me. :relaxed:
thanks; i'll keep that in mind. Maybe I'll pick them up eventually.

Jan 7, 2024 at 10:02 PM Post #7,638 of 7,696
Guys, looking for some advice.
Do you unplug the cable of your Meze 99 before putting it on its case? Do you think its made so it can also be stored with the cable plugged in?

I assumed there was no other way, but I just closed the zippers with the cable plugged to it, just rolled up in the center and it closed just fine, without feeling I’m forcing it or anything.

Any thoughts and recommendations?
I did the same with my 99 and I had no issues whatsoever.

Jan 7, 2024 at 10:29 PM Post #7,639 of 7,696
Got my first pair of 99 classics a few days ago; unfortunately, I'm a bit underwhelmed by the sound quality and comfort (another case of drivers touching the ears) but I'm completely in love the look and repairability of them and am keeping them for those reasons, lol.

I tried the larger brainwavz pads but unfortunately, they make the treble a bit to sizzly for me (i have weird sensitivity to treble that I think most others may not have.) Hoping I warm up to the sound/comfort w/ the stock pads the more I use them. (fingers crossed)
Yep, they have harsh peaky treble which ruins them for me

Jan 8, 2024 at 1:59 PM Post #7,640 of 7,696
I still wouldn’t do it unless there’s no other choice. Headphones are not made to store in a case with the cable attached. Plus….why?
Sorry for the late response. Well, I've been storing them with the cable plugged in and all fine. Its not forced in there or anything, the zipper strip can be stretched just enough to cover the jacks area at the edge while them being loose. Also I contacted Meze and they say is perfectly safe, as long as the jacks stay loose at the edge, so that's how I do it.

I don't like the idea of plugging it the cables and unplugging them every time I use them. Besides I feel both the plugs and the inputs may even wear down in the long run.

Jan 9, 2024 at 5:05 PM Post #7,643 of 7,696
“Tame the bass” is a funny visual. Like a cowboy lassoing a bass bull. By the way, the big Meze 99 classics bass people talk about is BS. Beyer dt770 and many other headphones have a lot more bass. I would describe the 99 bass as present but not detailed

Jan 10, 2024 at 2:52 PM Post #7,644 of 7,696
Interesting, i have the brainwavz pads with the silver cable and do not notice any treble peak (i bought the silver cable to tame the bass and kep the treble non-bright)

d
I'm typically really bad at describing what I'm hearing but I'll give it a shot; For me personally, I'm not entirely sure that it makes the treble unbearable but the thicker pads definitely make the sound a bit more 'V' shaped, as opposed to the sound w/ the thinner pads (where the drivers were basically touching/on top of my ears.) I noticed the same type of thing when I'm listening to my Grados w/ the large 'G' pads as opposed to the normal 'L' / 'F' pads. Something about having the drivers moved further away from the ears tends to 'recess' the mids for me, while accentuating the bass/treble. Not sure if that's a normal result or something weird w/ my ears.

It sucks because I like the warmer sound of the stock pads more, but they're definitely not as comfortable as the brainwavz pads (which sound worse to my ears.) Still testing both to see which I eventually prefer. I understand Dekoni may solve both issues, but 80 bucks for pads is damn expensive for this divorced dad... :triportsad:

Jan 12, 2024 at 9:42 AM Post #7,645 of 7,696
How does the sound compare, also they look a little larger is the comfort improved?
Thanks.
Although extremely more comfortable (to me) than the Meze standard pads, I found the Brainwavz Sheepskin Ovals (not angled) robbed the 99s of their midrange warmth and just about everything else I love about the 99s. But that's me and you might actually like what they bring to the table sonicly depending on your preferences. And for the record I have the 99 Noirs.

Jan 12, 2024 at 10:50 AM Post #7,646 of 7,696
It sucks because I like the warmer sound of the stock pads more, but they're definitely not as comfortable as the brainwavz pads (which sound worse to my ears.) Still testing both to see which I eventually prefer. I understand Dekoni may solve both issues, but 80 bucks for pads is damn expensive for this divorced dad... :triportsad:

I completely understand. I am sure Dekoni would sell more for their Meze 99 pads if they were $49 or so. These seem to be their most expensive pads. Not sure why.

I just felt that the Meze 99 Noir were a $200 investment for me due to the warm sound+bass that I enjoy and ability to isolate noise from my spouse. The stock PU (polyurethane/plastic) leather pads kept in way too much heat and my hears touched the drivers. I don't own any other closed backs. :relaxed:

Jan 12, 2024 at 4:45 PM Post #7,647 of 7,696
Since my ears are up against the drivers also & feel the pads a little warm, I'm always looking for any recommendations for ear pads for the 99s that may be more comfortable than the standard pads. In case anyone is interested, I did get the following recommendations from another forum member who seemed to have tried out a number of pads:

ZMF Universal (slightly angled) Pads
Yaxi Comfort TH900/610 Alcantara Version
Yaxi Comfort MSR7 Comfort

Unfortunately at this point I'm a little reluctant to buy any more pads (which aren't returnable) just so they can sit unused in my Meze box like the Brainwavz are because they changed the sound of the Noirs too much. But I might take a chance on the ZMFs though to see if an angled pad works better than the Brainwavz did. And I did also buy the Brainwavz in PU leather at the same time and while also being quite comfortable (not as comfortable as the sheepskin) they still exhibited the qualities I mentioned above.

Dave

Jan 19, 2024 at 2:16 PM Post #7,648 of 7,696
Thankfully, after giving my big, dumb head several days to get accustomed to the headphones, the discomfort from having the earcups touch my ears (w/ stock pads) has mostly gone away. The 99s are much more enjoyable now and are quickly becoming one of my favorites in my collection. Gorgeous and relaxing; but still a bit punchy. Very special indeed.

Jan 19, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #7,649 of 7,696
I just found out that Amazon carries the Yaxi Comfort TH900/610 pads which were recommended by another forum member (see above). And they're returnable! Ordered the leather version & will post my findings if anyone is interested.

Jan 25, 2024 at 12:24 PM Post #7,650 of 7,696
I just found out that Amazon carries the Yaxi Comfort TH900/610 pads which were recommended by another forum member (see above). And they're returnable! Ordered the leather version & will post my findings if anyone is interested.
To follow-up, I have NO idea why another forum member recommended these pads unless he was confusing the 99s with another headphone. The TH900/610 are WAY too big (wide) and seem made for a large round headphone cup. Back they go & the search for a more comfortable pad that DOESN'T change their sonic signature slowly continues..........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back