Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Feb 20, 2024 at 3:28 AM Post #7,667 of 7,682
I keep trying with these cans but they have this weird specific harshness in the trebel that just bothers my ears whenever I try to listen. Selling at loss at the earliest opportunity for more burger money 🍔
If you don't have the possibility to EQ try the toilet paper 'mod'. Easy, cheap and it could minimise the issue. Note though the whole upper mid/treble region will be reduced.

Feb 20, 2024 at 4:57 PM Post #7,670 of 7,682
No real complaints about the 99s from me. I love the sound and the comfort. Happy to have it.
The funny thing is i use my meze neo every night 🌙 watching netflix with them and movies because is so convenient to lie sideways with my head to the pillow. The treble is majestic the bass i corrected with different pads but they leak a lot now ...but i can not compare the mids with the lets say 58X mids... i am not getting into the zone with them with music...

They were better though than the 560s pair i tried in the past if that says something though...

I have the classics as well but because i find them so beautiful i am not using them in order not to scratch them...

There are closed headphones though not fair for me to compare them with the open ones...

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 2:39 AM Post #7,672 of 7,682
try the new 560S and report back.
I believe you but as you already said still is no better than the 6 series.

I do not like the looks and the one side cable. The reason I bought it was because I found it 90ÂŁ refurbished and I wanted to have a taste of the driver since supposedly uses the same driver like NDH30. I thought that if I am impressed by 560s then I will be floored by NDH30 and can start thinking about buying it.

But I returned the 560s immediately backed (3m cable so probably old version)

Feb 21, 2024 at 8:21 AM Post #7,674 of 7,682
I believe you but as you already said still is no better than the 6 series.

I do not like the looks and the one side cable. The reason I bought it was because I found it 90ÂŁ refurbished and I wanted to have a taste of the driver since supposedly uses the same driver like NDH30. I thought that if I am impressed by 560s then I will be floored by NDH30 and can start thinking about buying it.

But I returned the 560s immediately backed (3m cable so probably old version)

I got the newer 560S with the 2m cable and 3.5mm end with 6.3mm adapter. I have both the 99 Noir and the 560S. They are both quite different. I have the 560S for gaming and sound stage. I have the 99 Noir for times I need isolation of my music from my wife.

I think the 560S definitely need burn in. The more I have used them the more they sound better.

Feb 21, 2024 at 3:10 PM Post #7,675 of 7,682
I got the newer 560S with the 2m cable and 3.5mm end with 6.3mm adapter. I have both the 99 Noir and the 560S. They are both quite different. I have the 560S for gaming and sound stage. I have the 99 Noir for times I need isolation of my music from my wife.

I think the 560S definitely need burn in. The more I have used them the more they sound better.
I have both the Classics and the Neo. The classics has much better sound quality. And the noir is the most good looking of all.

According to my opinion there cannot be a closed back to sound so good as a great open back headphone. Otherwise it would be done by many companies. Everyone wants a closed back for practical reasons this is why we use headphones. Otherwise we would use speakers.

So really is not fair to compare them but when i bought many years back my meze 99 I have read a review where someone compared the 99 classics with HD650 and said the 99 were better. Ok not for me, I do not agree at all this statement but this my taste I love the 6 series.

I hear you both about the new version of 560S and I believe you that is much better (could not be worse anyway ...:)...) but i have so many headphones and so little time. Cannot be better than 660s2 or elex so i am not very interested anymore. And my version was a refurbished model so probably physically had a decent burn in.

The mental burn in i could handle personally because I would ...burn out ...in order to be able to do it.

Enjoy though every person has a different taste and i am glad that they have improved it considerably.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 3:47 PM Post #7,677 of 7,682
Good review here;

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 9:01 PM Post #7,678 of 7,682
So I bought a 99 Classic open box. Loved it. Was tempted by the 109s. So I returned the 99s and bought the 109s thinking that they would be a big upgrade. They are good. They are a keeper for me indeed. But then, I began to miss the 99s. So I recently picked up a like new Noir for a great price. I love them. Even with the 109s, the Classics' sound has stuck to me like glue. I simply love and enjoy the sound so much. What could I do? I am happy and grateful to have both.

Apr 25, 2024 at 9:30 PM Post #7,679 of 7,682
So I bought a 99 Classic open box. Loved it. Was tempted by the 109s. So I returned the 99s and bought the 109s thinking that they would be a big upgrade. They are good. They are a keeper for me indeed. But then, I began to miss the 99s. So I recently picked up a like new Noir for a great price. I love them. Even with the 109s, the Classics' sound has stuck to me like glue. I simply love and enjoy the sound so much. What could I do? I am happy and grateful to have both.
I have the 109 and 99 they compliment each other nicely. Enjoy!

Apr 25, 2024 at 10:32 PM Post #7,680 of 7,682
I have the Empys and recently picked up a 99 classics. I have been enjoying them since. They are particularly great for on-the-go use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back