Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Sep 23, 2023 at 9:02 PM Post #7,592 of 7,691
I think I may be the outlier but I liked the stock pads with the Noir. I got a copper cable from Forza AudioWorks and made a world of difference.

Sep 24, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #7,593 of 7,691
I'd say it depends how long you like to use them for. If your sessions are only like one to two hours, the stock pads are really good for that. Beyond that though, I did find they started to annoy my ears, they got slightly sweaty and irritated parts of my earlobes. But it's very personal, I wouldn't advise spending money on pads unless you had to. Stock cable is great, I had no issues with it. The headphone itself is quite microphonic though.

Sep 24, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #7,594 of 7,691
That reminds me, I feel like I read about some changes Meze made to the 99 to make the headband less microphonic, and that you can get the new parts from them to improve your own existing 99. Is that a real thing or did I make that up?

Sep 24, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #7,595 of 7,691
That reminds me, I feel like I read about some changes Meze made to the 99 to make the headband less microphonic, and that you can get the new parts from them to improve your own existing 99. Is that a real thing or did I make that up?
It's the steel wires that are very microphonic. Unless they are being coated I don't see how it could be reduced. I also have AudioQuest Nighthaws and they have the same issue. Unless you lay down when listening to them it isn't much of an problem.

Oct 12, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #7,596 of 7,691
I have a pair of balanced cables and also the stock single ended cables the 99 Classics arrived with. I want to try my 99s with my Schiit Valhalla headphone amp. The input is 6.35mm and unbalanced, so I thought I’d put the original unbalanced cable back on the cans. Will the sockets (?) on the 99s get loose if I take the cables on and off again several times?

Oct 12, 2023 at 11:24 PM Post #7,597 of 7,691
I have a pair of balanced cables and also the stock single ended cables the 99 Classics arrived with. I want to try my 99s with my Schiit Valhalla headphone amp. The input is 6.35mm and unbalanced, so I thought I’d put the original unbalanced cable back on the cans. Will the sockets (?) on the 99s get loose if I take the cables on and off again several times?
Probably after a thousands of connections... If your actually worried, get a balanced to 6.35mm adapter for the end of your balanced cable.

Oct 13, 2023 at 4:10 AM Post #7,599 of 7,691
Thanks! Can you plug headphones with a balanced cable into an unbalanced source?
Yes you can with an adapter. Never do the opposite by plugging an unbalanced cable into a balanced output.

Oct 13, 2023 at 7:03 AM Post #7,600 of 7,691
Thanks! Can you plug headphones with a balanced cable into an unbalanced source?

Yes you can with an adapter. Never do the opposite by plugging an unbalanced cable into a balanced output.
Absolutely listen to what @TrollDragon has written @NightBeast!

A typical single-ended cable has a single shared ground cable between the left and right channel wiring, and all are twisted together.
Such cables can NEVER, EVER, be converted into balanced cables due to the single ground wire topology; you will likely damage equipment, and potentially your health (ears, an electrical fire, etc).
I'm using caps for any reader (not yourself specifically), however, I must state this clearly: DO NOT DO THIS!

Typical balanced cabling topology has separate left and right internal cabling, each having it's own ground cable; neither channel nor both ground wirings are shared.
(You can get a balanced cable in which both separate and sheathed channel cables, with individual ground wiring per channel, are overall sheathed together into one single cable; here the connectors will also be balanced. However, this is atypical. The internal cabling still follow practice for balanced wiring topology).
Due to the nature of balanced wiring, these can safely be converted into single-ended cables using an adapter or modification.

Also, Meze 99 Classics (and almost all Meze Audio headphones) are repairable with replaceable parts, and are very durable; the connectors to the earcups of the 99 Classics are, thus, replaceable (even by the user!).
No glue used, just engineering finesse and screws.
Removing cables often is not ideal due to stress incurred on the cable itself (cable strain), but good quality headphones and/or audio equipment ought to have durable I/O connectors for long-life usage.
Meze are engineering marvels 💗🎧

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #7,602 of 7,691
IMG_6486.jpeg

This is what I call the sports cap mod. It works with the Dekoni pads, with the original small ones and the large revision of the pads. The change in sound quality is significant, reducing the bass presence by several decibels (the amount of bass reduction depends on the thickness of the cap and the height at which you place the pads; the thicker the cap and the higher you place the headphones, the more reduction). The rest of the frequencies remain largely unaltered. I recommend it; I can no longer listen to my 99c without a cap since my 109 pro arrived. The result is very similar to what you get with Oracle’ equalization but without touching parameters.

Oct 31, 2023 at 7:45 PM Post #7,603 of 7,691
I just bought mine today, after years of seeing them all over the internet.
I could listen to them in a store, was instantly convinced.
Don’t own a ton of headphones just a few AKG712 pro, Sennheiser HD660s and a few more.
I really like the bass performance and the general tone and relaxing way of these, just the mids/voices are a tad more recceded than what I wish but it’s fine really mostly depends on the recording.
So far they sound amazing for rock and electronic music! 👌

Was really surprised tho that they say 32 ohms and with my FiiO M6 they sounded kinda bad, on desktop with FiiO K5 ESS much better already. Really can’t wait for my Shanling M1s - DAP Upgrade time. 😍
Guess they really need more power to shine!?

I’ve also read that balanced cables will improve the midrange and sound a little so will upgrade that as well.

Attachments

• IMG_7193.jpg
    IMG_7193.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 4, 2023 at 11:12 PM Post #7,604 of 7,691
Hey guys. A question:
Is it real Meze did some minor technical revisions on the 99 Classics that affected bass performance a little bit, arguably for the better?

If so, would I get this version if I order it from Amazon next black friday???

Nov 4, 2023 at 11:15 PM Post #7,605 of 7,691
I ordered the Meze 99 classics about 3-4 months ago and they do NOT have the big bass talked about in the older hype - the bass is still solid and there but I found the headphone actually a lot brighter than I envisioned! It's very comfortable and I haven't had a ton of time with it, but was considering selling it as first impressions were not super positive for me on the sound signature, at least on whatever version I got that is current. Then again, I've listened to it a few more times recently and get surprised by the imaging and so I think I need to just let it breathe for a while and chill out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back