Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Mar 15, 2023 at 6:39 AM Post #7,561 of 7,677
Hi, looking for some advice, my work phones (QC25s) have just died on me so was looking for a new pair of closed backs. I have the Nightowls but they're never leaving the house as the headband bit is on it's way out. Been looking at these for a while for a couple reasons, low impedance + stylish but my questions are;

Are these comfortable for long sessions? They'll be mainly used for work so thinking 8 hours on me head.
I mainly listen to metal (metalcore and prog being the main genres) with a bit of dnb and dubstep, are they good for these genres?
Is a dac/amp important for these? I have a topping nx4
Is the build quality good?
Are they good value?
Are there any other closed backs with low impedance on the market of similar (or lower) price point that people would recommend over these?

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #7,562 of 7,677
Hi, looking for some advice, my work phones (QC25s) have just died on me so was looking for a new pair of closed backs. I have the Nightowls but they're never leaving the house as the headband bit is on it's way out. Been looking at these for a while for a couple reasons, low impedance + stylish but my questions are;

Are these comfortable for long sessions? They'll be mainly used for work so thinking 8 hours on me head.
I mainly listen to metal (metalcore and prog being the main genres) with a bit of dnb and dubstep, are they good for these genres?
Is a dac/amp important for these? I have a topping nx4
Is the build quality good?
Are they good value?
Are there any other closed backs with low impedance on the market of similar (or lower) price point that people would recommend over these?
As a Nighthawk and Nightowl fan, I feel like these are pretty similar in tonality. I sold off all my AQs due to lack of replacement parts.

The fit is a little smaller and not as comfortable but not bad. I have a big head so I barely fit properly.

They are really easy to drive and the amp is nice to get the most out of them but not necessary.

I bought my 99s at X-mas from Drop so they were a great value at $165 and still IMHO a good value at 199.

I am very happy with them.

Mar 15, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #7,563 of 7,677
As a Nighthawk and Nightowl fan, I feel like these are pretty similar in tonality. I sold off all my AQs due to lack of replacement parts.

The fit is a little smaller and not as comfortable but not bad. I have a big head so I barely fit properly.

They are really easy to drive and the amp is nice to get the most out of them but not necessary.

I bought my 99s at X-mas from Drop so they were a great value at $165 and still IMHO a good value at 199.

I am very happy with them.
Yeh it's annoying the lack of replacement parts but I love my owls and I'd instantly regret selling them.

The owls are like having pillows on my head so I'd be surprised if they were as comfortable. I have a big head too though not so big that there's no slack on the owls so I assume they'll fit.

Thanks for the reply, I decided to take the plunge on them, will report back in a few days my thoughts once I've got my hands on them.

Mar 22, 2023 at 7:56 PM Post #7,566 of 7,677
Hi everyone. Reading the first posts (from several years back) and more recent ones - seems we're talking of different headphones, some differences / revision must have been introduced as pointed out in a previous post. Reviews either written / video are also quite varying - so one more from me... I acquired them yesterday on a local store - my target was the best I could find up to +/-320 with detachable cables and allowing the use of a 4.4mm balanced cable to connect to my Hiby R6 III (arriving soon) . I could test and listen to 4 different available for testing and heard them in the following order: 1) Hifiman 400SE 2) Sigva Oriole 3) Meze 99 Classics 4) Sigva Robin SV021 using my iPhone XS with ifi Go Link dongle (no EQ). Not going through all the different experiences - but from these, the MEZE immediately caught my attention and preference. I'm listening right now playing Qobuz through Audirvana (bit perfect) using my ifi Zen Air DAC with the 3.5mm output. Focusing on sound - I do find them quite a listening pleasure, the bass is as strong as it should be (not overwhelming as many other opinions), mids are maybe a bit more upfront than I would like, treble on right amount for my ears, staging more than I expected for closed, overall much more pleasant listening comparing to the other ones I tested - and I'm happy listening and that's what counts - and should be what we're looking for despite other's opinions which will always vary with "ranges" preferences, marketing bias, ear sensibility or even anatomic differences. I also find that the stock ear pads should be thicker, so based on some advice from this thread, I ordered the Brainwavz Hybrid (currently on sale). Further testing: balanced 4.4mm Meze cable on Hiby R6 III and newer pads.
On the Hiby R6 III I will play with MSEB** to see what kind of fine tune I can extract to match even more my personal "sound signature" on the 99's.
** "MSEB is a combination of multiple algorithms based on parametric equalizer (PEQ) and sound field adjustments to create the most satisfying sound"

Apr 5, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #7,567 of 7,677
I need to replace the pads on my Meze 99 Classics headphones, as they are wearing out for the third time. They always start to tear where my glasses touch them. I’m thinking of buying the Dekoni ones, even though they are a bit pricey, to be honest. But since I use my Meze 99 Classics as my main headphones, I think it’s worth the investment. I also plan to buy the Meze 109 Pro, but maybe for Christmas. That’s another story, though :).

Are the Dekoni ones more durable? And do most people agree that they sound better than the original small ones?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2023 at 9:33 PM Post #7,568 of 7,677
I need to replace the pads on my Meze 99 Classics headphones, as they are wearing out for the third time. They always start to tear where my glasses touch them. I’m thinking of buying the Dekoni ones, even though they are a bit pricey, to be honest. But since I use my Meze 99 Classics as my main headphones, I think it’s worth the investment. I also plan to buy the Meze 109 Pro, but maybe for Christmas. That’s another story, though :).

Are the Dekoni ones more durable? And do most people agree that they sound better than the original small ones?

Thanks in advance.
I haven't had to replace my Meze 99 pads yet, but I did replace my HD6xx pads and went with Dekoni, and it was a great choice. Very good pads for the price - comfort and sound are great.

Apr 6, 2023 at 4:44 AM Post #7,569 of 7,677

Thanks in advance.
I was planning to buy the Brainwavz hybrid but were out of stock so ended buying the normal PU leather memory foam. The cup fitting part is quite bigger and when assembled the Earpads kind of “float” a bit over the cups, but guess what, sound is amazing with much more presence everywhere. I would say SS changes, mainly in the upper bass / mid region- overall satisfied. They costed around 35 on sale. The brown colour matches with the wooden cups.

Apr 6, 2023 at 7:36 AM Post #7,570 of 7,677
I've mentioned this in the Topping G5 thread as well, but combining Meze 99 Noir with this dac/amp is absolutely amazing. I have previously used these headphones with LGV30 and Littled Dot MK3, but it is with Topping G5 that they sound the best I have ever heard. I was about to sell these headphones because they never amazed me, but now they are definitely a keeper.

Apr 18, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #7,572 of 7,677
I just got the Dekoni Elite Sheepskin pads and they’re pretty good. The low bass sounds a little bit stronger than the small Meze pads (more refined and goes deep) but the mid bass is more balanced and less prominent. It also feels like there’s more space and clarity. It’s not a huge difference and maybe not worth the price, but they’re also much nicer to touch and more comfortable.

Apr 19, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #7,573 of 7,677
Looking for some thoughts on the Meze 99 vs Foxtex T60RP sound wise. The reason I am asking is I loved my T60 but the leaking was too much and I was on my second pair of B stock and they are going back. I need a closed back with a bit of Isolation because of late night listening. I know its comparing apples and oranges but I am hoping for some opinions comparing these two. If it make sense I will probably pick up the Noir on Drop.
Thanks for any help.

Apr 20, 2023 at 3:16 AM Post #7,574 of 7,677
Looking for some thoughts on the Meze 99 vs Foxtex T60RP sound wise. The reason I am asking is I loved my T60 but the leaking was too much and I was on my second pair of B stock and they are going back. I need a closed back with a bit of Isolation because of late night listening. I know its comparing apples and oranges but I am hoping for some opinions comparing these two. If it make sense I will probably pick up the Noir on Drop.
Thanks for any help.
Isolation on Meze 99 is not perfect at all...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back