Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Jan 29, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #6,151 of 7,710
no no no 120 € I don't give out for that cable ... it's a plain occ copper material silver plated. half the cable costs as much as the meze 99 classics headphones. funny
The balanced OFC Copper cable is $50 USD, it's a solid cable. I have no issues with it.

Feb 9, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #6,154 of 7,710
Soo I need some help with choosing my first "real" full size headphones, and hope that someone can point me in the right direction here :)

I have been reading a lot of pages in this thread and the Meze 99 Classic seems very appealing to me. My concern is that maybe the bass will be too much and I don't like to fiddle too much with pads an EQ.

My other option is the Audio Technica msr7b.

Design don't matter all that much to me, but the Meze looks gorgeous and the build quality seems better.
The MSR7b is a bit cheaper in price and from what I can read, they have a different sound sig with lower emphasis on the bass.

I am not totally sure as to what sound I prefer. I listen to a wide range of music. Mostly metal and rap but also jazz and some EDM from time to time.

Can anyone help me or maybe make a small comparison. Or advise another headphone that is in the same price range. I cannot stretch my budget further than the Meze :)

Feb 9, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #6,155 of 7,710
Soo I need some help with choosing my first "real" full size headphones, and hope that someone can point me in the right direction here :)

I have been reading a lot of pages in this thread and the Meze 99 Classic seems very appealing to me. My concern is that maybe the bass will be too much and I don't like to fiddle too much with pads an EQ.

Design don't matter all that much to me, but the Meze looks gorgeous and the build quality seems better.
The MSR7b is a bit cheaper in price and from what I can read, they have a different sound sig with lower emphasis on the bass.

I am not totally sure as to what sound I prefer. I listen to a wide range of music. Mostly metal and rap but also jazz and some EDM from time to time.

Can anyone help me or maybe make a small comparison. Or advise another headphone that is in the same price range. I cannot stretch my budget further than the Meze :)

Sony MDR-1AM2 is a alternative for a fun sound with deep bass!

Feb 9, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #6,156 of 7,710

I'd definitely look at the Noir edition, since it comes with the more neutral pads and swapping to them is a one-and-done deal, imho (also they're cheaper). Given your genre preferences, the 99 Noir/Classics will be a great match.

Feb 10, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #6,157 of 7,710
I'd definitely look at the Noir edition, since it comes with the more neutral pads and swapping to them is a one-and-done deal, imho (also they're cheaper). Given your genre preferences, the 99 Noir/Classics will be a great match.
The Noir looks very nice but is only available through Drop as far as I understand. And I live in Denmark, so import taxes etc will raise the final price quite a lot.

I can buy the Classic for 360$ and the MSR7b cost 250$ both from Danish webshops.
Is the sound quality of the Classics much better?

Feb 10, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #6,158 of 7,710
The Noir looks very nice but is only available through Drop as far as I understand. And I live in Denmark, so import taxes etc will raise the final price quite a lot.

I can buy the Classic for 360$ and the MSR7b cost 250$ both from Danish webshops.
Is the sound quality of the Classics much better?

Other than the fact that the Noir comes with alternate pads (which you can buy separately from Meze's European store and swap with the stock 99 Classics pads) that bring the mids and treble up, they're pretty much identical in terms of sound. Just make sure you pick up the smaller "new original" pads, and you're all set.

Feb 10, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #6,159 of 7,710
Other than the fact that the Noir comes with alternate pads (which you can buy separately from Meze's European store and swap with the stock 99 Classics pads) that bring the mids and treble up, they're pretty much identical in terms of sound. Just make sure you pick up the smaller "new original" pads, and you're all set.

Is there any cheaper pads? The problem with the meze store is the shipping costs. For Portugal is 25€.

Feb 10, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #6,160 of 7,710
Thank you for your help :)

Feb 10, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #6,161 of 7,710
Is there any cheaper pads? The problem with the meze store is the shipping costs. For Portugal is 25€.
Are you sure there are no other shippings costs? For me I can choose €7 and €20+ for shipping.

Feb 11, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #6,163 of 7,710
To have a pair of Meze ear pads costing $20 U.S. sent to Canada is 25 Euro ($27.25 U.S.). When shipping costs more than the item itself something is WRONG. I mean they're not shipping a pile of heavy books, instead a pair of ear pads that weigh NEXT TO NOTHING. Come on Meze, seriously! Find a shipper that isn't ripping off your customers!

Feb 11, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #6,164 of 7,710
To have a pair of Meze ear pads costing $20 U.S. sent to Canada is 25 Euro ($27.25 U.S.). When shipping costs more than the item itself something is WRONG. I mean they're not shipping a pile of heavy books, instead a pair of ear pads that weigh NEXT TO NOTHING. Come on Meze, seriously! Find a shipper that isn't ripping off your customers!
Logic is also twisted. Portugal is a part of EU and I can choose between €7 and €17 shipping costs for Netherlands.

Feb 11, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #6,165 of 7,710
Capture.PNG

Here is the proof!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back