Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Feb 19, 2020 at 1:07 AM Post #6,181 of 7,711
Got my 99Cs this Xmas and really love them. They're my best pair of closed backs, coming closer than I would have imagined to the satisfaction I get from my beloved HD600. I no longer have to give up much in situations when I can't use my open backs -- it's really great!

BUT I do agree with those who find the low end slightly excessive at times, and I can use some help EQing. My primary source is the FiiO X5ii, which has a 10 band octave EQ with 31, 62, and 125 on the bottom. Which frequency or two would you suggest trimming on the 99Cs to make them a bit more neutral down low? (say, Harman target)
Do you find the treble on the 99C grainy compared to the 600's treble? also, do they sound as smooth as the HD 600?

Feb 19, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #6,183 of 7,711
Do you find the treble on the 99C grainy compared to the 600's treble? also, do they sound as smooth as the HD 600?
No not grainy at all to my ear. A bit brighter, no question, but just as clear & clean as the Senns I think. But not too bright at all imo. Just enough to be a nice change of scenery -- sometimes I reach for the 99C just because. But no, they do not have the smoothness of the 600.

But you have to either be into, or indifferent about, their relatively big low end. I sometimes am into it, especially outdoors, where lows tend to get eaten up. And also at very low volumes. I'm only stressung this point (even though you didn't ask) because we're comparing against the 600, and the 99 have significantly more low end. (I personally find the 600 too light on bass most if the time.)

Anyway, I am really glad to have them both. If either were lost or damaged I'd replace them immediately!

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #6,184 of 7,711
I cut the 125 Hz band by -4dB and 62 Hz by -2dB. I wouldn't call it Harman, but it reserves the bass boost for only the lowest octaves.

Yeah that's similar to what I've been experimenting with. I have 3 presets that I keep going back & forth among:
- cut 62 Hz by 2dB
- cut 125 Hz by 2dB
- cut both 62 and 125 by 2 dB

I'm going to add yours as a fourth preset to try. Thanks for your reply. :)

Feb 19, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #6,185 of 7,711
Yeah that's similar to what I've been experimenting with. I have 3 presets that I keep going back & forth among:
- cut 62 Hz by 2dB
- cut 125 Hz by 2dB
- cut both 62 and 125 by 2 dB

I'm going to add yours as a fourth preset to try. Thanks for your reply. :)

No problem! To my ears anyways, that area around 100 Hz can make headphones sound "boomy" when it's aggressively boosted. Sometimes it's great when you have a recording with no real sub-bass, since those can sound really thin with a more Harman-like curve. But with higher quality recordings, taking down the 125 Hz band will clean up the 99 Classics imho. The smaller 62 Hz cut just smooths out the bass from that bigger 125 Hz cut to an untouched sub-bass.

Fwiw, I'd be curious to know what you think of the EQ setting!

Feb 20, 2020 at 3:34 AM Post #6,186 of 7,711
No not grainy at all to my ear. A bit brighter, no question, but just as clear & clean as the Senns I think. But not too bright at all imo. Just enough to be a nice change of scenery -- sometimes I reach for the 99C just because. But no, they do not have the smoothness of the 600.

But you have to either be into, or indifferent about, their relatively big low end. I sometimes am into it, especially outdoors, where lows tend to get eaten up. And also at very low volumes. I'm only stressung this point (even though you didn't ask) because we're comparing against the 600, and the 99 have significantly more low end. (I personally find the 600 too light on bass most if the time.)

Anyway, I am really glad to have them both. If either were lost or damaged I'd replace them immediately!
I am kinda disappointed that they are not as smooth as the HD 6XX. I ordered them for that reason. My pair will be arriving in a few hours.

Feb 20, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #6,187 of 7,711
I just received my pair. I am listening to them while I type. They sound very dark and kinda v shaped atm. The bass is bloomy, the mids are sucked out, and the treble is almost muted. Do these require break in? I am not impressed.

Feb 20, 2020 at 8:06 AM Post #6,188 of 7,711
I just received my pair. I am listening to them while I type. They sound very dark and kinda v shaped atm. The bass is bloomy, the mids are sucked out, and the treble is almost muted. Do these require break in? I am not impressed.

Yes they do, I ran mine in for about 50 hours and they settled in and improved significantly. Bass is still there but not as dominant while the mids and hf became more evident and refined.

Feb 20, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #6,189 of 7,711

If you bought them direct from Meze with the new pads, then thats how they sound. Boomy, indistinctive, like youre listening through a wall.

I am kinda disappointed that they are not as smooth as the HD 6XX. I ordered them for that reason. My pair will be arriving in a few hours.

Is anything as smooth as the 6XX/650 though?

Feb 20, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #6,190 of 7,711
If you bought them direct from Meze with the new pads, then thats how they sound. Boomy, indistinctive, like youre listening through a wall.
My pair has large pads. After break in , will the bass become tighter? it's very loose, boomy and all over the place atm. Even the treble is harsh. I have used them for 6 hours so far. Not much has changed

Feb 20, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #6,191 of 7,711
What's the point of getting a headphone that sounds like another headphone that you already have

Feb 20, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #6,193 of 7,711
Pretty certain all of us would like a closed back that sounds like the 650.
ZMF Atticus is the closest thing Ive heard to a closed back 650. Of course theyre much more expensive than the 99s though.

Feb 20, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #6,194 of 7,711
Closed vs open is a driving factor, I assume.

Pretty certain all of us would like a closed back that sounds like the 650.
Haven't heard the 650 and based on reviews I don't really care to lol. So not me.

99's are not a smooth relaxed listen. That's not the point of their sound. They are fairly energetic and fun to listen to. The treble is not harsh/bright and it's not rolled off/tamed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back