Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Jan 19, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #6,138 of 7,677
So I have had the Meze 99 Noir headphones for a few days now and decided to change the large pads to the smaller ones which were included.

What a difference!! These pads move the 99 Noir form a good/OK headphone to something pretty special. I have listened to a very wide range of music and they now perform extremely well indeed. They have a reasonable sound stage with good depth for a closed design and the frequency range across the spectrum with the smaller pads is just right. Totally non fatiguing treble with enough detail and plenty of midrange information, Bass comes in quite full and deep but not too much.

I feel these headphones now live up to the review I first read by Tyll Hertsens on the Innerfidelity website. Very well balanced and a joy to listen too.

Jan 19, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #6,139 of 7,677
So I have had the Meze 99 Noir headphones for a few days now and decided to change the large pads to the smaller ones which were included.

What a difference!! These pads move the 99 Noir form a good/OK headphone to something pretty special. I have listened to a very wide range of music and they now perform extremely well indeed. They have a reasonable sound stage with good depth for a closed design and the frequency range across the spectrum with the smaller pads is just right. Totally non fatiguing treble with enough detail and plenty of midrange information, Bass comes in quite full and deep but not too much.

I feel these headphones now live up to the review I first read by Tyll Hertsens on the Innerfidelity website. Very well balanced and a joy to listen too.
Well, your experience as well as other comments made me locate my Noir case w/smaller hole ear-pads and install them. Amazing difference listening to some Hiromi's Trio Project right now. I was always pleased with the sound of the Noir with the installed ear-pads so had never bothered to try the others.

I have been a big fan of the Fostex RP planar series that everyone mods. The originals come with very thin pads that make all the difference in sound I enjoy, versus the frequently modded thicker pads that make them a bit more comfortable.

Jan 19, 2020 at 10:55 PM Post #6,141 of 7,677
I've recently got the Meze 99 Noir. I am using an Ipad pro with Qobuz, and a basic USB-C dongle DAC. It is actually as good as my Qobuz -> Bluesound Node 2i -> Audioquest Coffee Coax - > Mytek 192 DSD Dac setup. I'd like to improve the sound some for mobile use (Ipad Pro -> Meze 99 Noir. Which do you think would be better if I can only do one?
1) Add a Chord Mojo?
2) Add a Meze Silver 3.5mm Cable instead of the stock copper cable?

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #6,144 of 7,677
I happened to write to Meze recently commenting basically "hey you have a $300 and a $3000 headphone, why not fill that gap" and the reply was that later this year they will indeed be introducing headphones between those price points.

Jan 29, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #6,146 of 7,677
Hello! meze I have 99 classics headphones and I want to get the most out of it, I want to add a tuning cable to get the best possible sound from the headphones. I'll give you up to $ 100. I don't know ofc or occ, pure silver or silver plated copper, or occ litz. there are many kinds. in principle, at present, the pure silver occ 8 core is the cleanest and best cable that can be used as an audio cable. this is true? who uses what? and where did you get it from? preferably within europe. which cable is worth the money? can come, I expect everyone to experience different custom cables. link would also come in handy if you can recommend it. Thanks

Jan 29, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #6,147 of 7,677
Hello! meze I have 99 classics headphones and I want to get the most out of it, I want to add a tuning cable to get the best possible sound from the headphones. I'll give you up to $ 100. I don't know ofc or occ, pure silver or silver plated copper, or occ litz. there are many kinds. in principle, at present, the pure silver occ 8 core is the cleanest and best cable that can be used as an audio cable. this is true? who uses what? and where did you get it from? preferably within europe. which cable is worth the money? can come, I expect everyone to experience different custom cables. link would also come in handy if you can recommend it. Thanks
Buy one of the cables that Meze themselves sells...

Jan 29, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #6,149 of 7,677
no no no 120 € I don't give out for that cable ... it's a plain occ copper material silver plated. half the cable costs as much as the meze 99 classics headphones. funny

I think you are going to have a very hard (near impossible) time finding a pure OCC silver cable for 100$.

Your best best would be to go to a reputable supplier (http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/...ket-up-7-n-6-upgrade-spc-silver-plated-copper) and make your own cable. It is not very difficult and is a fun part of the headphone experience. Otherwise, for your price range your best bet is to purchase used.

The Meze Cable is not something to be dismissed so quickly either. Determining the "best" cable is up to your own subjectivity. Many people prefer pure copper for example. You are always going to be fighting with diminishing returns when you begin with a stellar deal headphone like the Meze 99 Classic. Due to the port size on the cups it is difficult to find a aftermarket cable that is going to be as plug and play as the Meze brand version.

Best-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back