Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Apr 12, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #5,371 of 7,681
It may have been a while so I may have forgotten the original 99C pad comfort, but I switched from the pads the Noir came with to the smaller pad and I think I like the delivered pad better, tighter bass and better cup placement/seal.. Could be the beer talking...
By delivered pad you mean the ones that came on the Noir or the extras?

Apr 12, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #5,372 of 7,681
Yes. They were the ones installed when you open the package. I'm on my third swap and I think i'm leaning to those.

Apr 12, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #5,373 of 7,681
Hi, can someone help to measure? Have not received mine yet.
Thanks!
Screenshot_20190413_090047.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2019 at 6:43 AM Post #5,375 of 7,681
I got my first Meze 99 classics and extensively tested and compared with my other headphones. I've never been so disappointed with a headset. He sounds too massive. He is in my opinion too present and powerful. I do not like him at all. He does not come close to my Audio Quest or Grado. I will sell him.
At the same time I ordered the Meze 99 Noir from Massdrop and I'm curious how he sounds.

Apr 13, 2019 at 7:00 AM Post #5,376 of 7,681
I got my first Meze 99 classics and extensively tested and compared with my other headphones. I've never been so disappointed with a headset. He sounds too massive. He is in my opinion too present and powerful. I do not like him at all.
I agree to an extent. The 99C is supremely comfortable, but the sound signature is weird. It's the first time I find that a headphone actually improves using the iTunes preset "reduce bass" EQ. The bass on the 99C creates a massive wall of sound that can be really distracting.

The headphone sounds nice and non-fatiguing, but the vocals lack power and intimacy, the highs lack snap. I also find the sound to change a lot with amplification, losing bass and becoming less engaging.

It's a discreet all-rounder and it's what you want if you listen to a lot of YouTube music and videos, but it does nothing really special and I think it's way too expensive. The Massdrop price should have been the 99C's original price.

Apr 13, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #5,377 of 7,681
Guys, are there any 2.5mm balanced cables on aliexpress/any other chinese shipping site that would be compatible with Mezes? I joined Noir drop and the meze balanced cable isn't available locally in my country unfortunately :frowning2:

Apr 13, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #5,378 of 7,681
I got my first Meze 99 classics and extensively tested and compared with my other headphones. I've never been so disappointed with a headset. He sounds too massive. He is in my opinion too present and powerful. I do not like him at all. He does not come close to my Audio Quest or Grado. I will sell him.
At the same time I ordered the Meze 99 Noir from Massdrop and I'm curious how he sounds.
I mean, they’re the same headphone. It does come with a second set of pads that might lessen the bass but if you already don’t like the Classic’s sound then you probably won’t like the Noir.

Apr 13, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #5,379 of 7,681
Guys, are there any 2.5mm balanced cables on aliexpress/any other chinese shipping site that would be compatible with Mezes? I joined Noir drop and the meze balanced cable isn't available locally in my country unfortunately :frowning2:
Ebay and Amazon have some

Apr 13, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #5,380 of 7,681
Sounds like a bad date. I agree with the other poster, the Noirs likely won't fix what you dislike.

Apr 13, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #5,381 of 7,681
Sounds like a bad date. I agree with the other poster, the Noirs likely won't fix what you dislike.
Yes, I think so, too, but I bought the first Meze and next day after, there was the „drop“ from Massdrop and I was waiting month ago for this deal from Massdrop and I bought him, too. So, maybe it could be a surprise with the Meze Noir

Apr 13, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #5,382 of 7,681
I agree to an extent. The 99C is supremely comfortable, but the sound signature is weird. It's the first time I find that a headphone actually improves using the iTunes preset "reduce bass" EQ. The bass on the 99C creates a massive wall of sound that can be really distracting.

The headphone sounds nice and non-fatiguing, but the vocals lack power and intimacy, the highs lack snap. I also find the sound to change a lot with amplification, losing bass and becoming less engaging.

It's a discreet all-rounder and it's what you want if you listen to a lot of YouTube music and videos, but it does nothing really special and I think it's way too expensive. The Massdrop price should have been the 99C's original price.
Yes, I agree!

Apr 13, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #5,383 of 7,681
The 99C are not a bad headphone...you are just one of the few who doesn't like their sig

Apr 13, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #5,384 of 7,681

Users who are viewing this thread

Back