Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Apr 10, 2019 at 8:45 AM Post #5,342 of 7,677
Came with the larger pads installed, but swapped for the smaller ones. I heard a bigger difference swapping the standard cable for the meze balanced cable. Less boom and bloat.

CF6A0E64-F20A-4E1A-B4FE-2CCAFEA2C7EE.jpeg

Apr 10, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #5,343 of 7,677
Yaxi stPad2 - worth a try if you have not already done so.

20170820_2471208.jpg

One of the features of Yaxi stPad2 I wish to highlight:-

Hybrid Design - inner diameter made of two different materials - "The front part of inner diameter is lined with protein leather to enhance the reflection. The back part absorbing the sound is lined with Alcantara to reduce the bass. This innovative design gives the headphone a better sound balance and a cleaner sound stage, give you the ultimate in comfort."

I got them here:- https://www.yaxi.jp/product-gallery/stpad2/ (with free shipping to quite a huge list of countries)!

Apr 10, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #5,344 of 7,677
The original pads were actually 55mm x 40mm inner, I'm almost certain.

Yes. Tyll mentioned years ago that the pads ruined the sound of these things. Took them from winner to "also-ran" status (in his words). I've mentioned this many times and you all called me a troll but now you're all saying "oh yeah, that's true..."

But I don't want to make this about me.

What you have to remember is that when the 99 Classics were originally released with the actual original pads, almost everyone on the thread had noted that the pads openings were small. It wasn't a "vocal minority." Check the original reviews for this headphone and early in this thread if you don't believe me.

And yes, Meze seems to have abandoned this thread a while ago. And despite loyal fans wanting the old pads to be available again, Meze won't sell them anymore. It's not like they don't know how to make them. So who knows what's up with that. Being vocal about it is the only way they will consider selling them again though.

I've just sent an email to Meze(I live in Romania). I bought these headphones a month ago based on the reviews from this site. But very soon was clear that the bas from these headphones is bloated and at low volume the mids are only in the background. The sound is ok at high volumes but still, the bas is uncontrolled. I've then started to read this forum and I saw that there are so many users unhappy with current sound of current version of 99 Classic. I've also find out that almost all reviews are based on original pads. As you said, the differences from the sound with original pads and the current ones are measured on Innerfidelity site and are pretty obvious.
https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/meze-99-neo-around-ear-sealed-headphones

Also, on the Massdrop there are some new measurements with current pads and with the "new" version(4th) for Meze 99 Noir. I think that measurements were done here at head-fi.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-meze-99-noir-closed-back-headphones/talk#discussions

I will let you know about the response from Meze. We, all, are deserving an answer.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #5,345 of 7,677
I've just sent an email to Meze(I live in Romania). I bought these headphones a month ago based on the reviews from this site. But very soon was clear that the bas from these headphones is bloated and at low volume the mids are only in the background. The sound is ok at high volumes but still, the bas is uncontrolled. I've then started to read this forum and I saw that there are so many users unhappy with current sound of current version of 99 Classic. I've also find out that almost all reviews are based on original pads. As you said, the differences from the sound with original pads and the current ones are measured on Innerfidelity site and are pretty obvious.
https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/meze-99-neo-around-ear-sealed-headphones

Also, on the Massdrop there are some new measurements with current pads and with the "new" version(4th) for Meze 99 Noir. I think that measurements were done here at head-fi.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-meze-99-noir-closed-back-headphones/talk#discussions

I will let you know about the response from Meze. We, all, are deserving an answer.

I've emailed them about it in the past. They haven't really given a direct answer, but it seems the old pads will never be coming back for sale.

One email they replied to me said that in two weeks they would be selling the second generation pads again, (which are the 60mm x 50mm, I believe) but that was probably two months ago at this point and they've made no comment about it either on Head-Fi or their website.

Apr 11, 2019 at 12:13 AM Post #5,347 of 7,677
Do the Yaxi stPad2 fits perfectly like the originals? The aesthetics of the Meze are important to me and I would only consider them if they fit 100%.
I would say that they are a bit loosey goosey, but not enough to slide off if you take em off too quick. They look good, but unfortunately, if you got big ears (woe is me) then these will be hella uncomfortable. Honestly, the only Yaxi pads that I can bare to wear are the Microsuedes, but they don’t synergize well with the Mezes.

Apr 11, 2019 at 7:08 AM Post #5,350 of 7,677
Apr 11, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #5,351 of 7,677
Apr 11, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #5,354 of 7,677
Received my Massdrop x Meze 99 Noir today. Eagerly got home and hooked them up to my WM-1A...

And... I can't decide if I like them...
Not bright but there's not enough separation... However there seems to be clear distinction between the highs, mids and lows....like they're partitioned into three boxes.

And that bass is... Just not doing it for me... Seems somewhat peeled away and boosted. It's there but not impactful in a crisp way.

It doesn't have a dark sound and feels somewhat lacking in character. Overall not unpleasant but they don't seduce. Not anywhere like the first time I put on my Nighthawk.

But these are brand new. May improve after a burn in. Might try some other pads. Any good leather pads to roll apart from the Yaxi ones?

I reckon these could also do with a little warming up and am thinking of getting a pair of decent copper on a balanced 4.4 to go with them.

Overall, I had high hopes for these cans and I waited months for the delivery... Now I'm just kinda, "meh".

Apr 11, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #5,355 of 7,677
Received my Massdrop x Meze 99 Noir today. Eagerly got home and hooked them up to my WM-1A...

And... I can't decide if I like them...
Not bright but there's not enough separation... However there seems to be clear distinction between the highs, mids and lows....like they're partitioned into three boxes.

And that bass is... Just not doing it for me... Seems somewhat peeled away and boosted. It's there but not impactful in a crisp way.

It doesn't have a dark sound and feels somewhat lacking in character. Overall not unpleasant but they don't seduce. Not anywhere like the first time I put on my Nighthawk.

But these are brand new. May improve after a burn in. Might try some other pads. Any good leather pads to roll apart from the Yaxi ones?

I reckon these could also do with a little warming up and am thinking of getting a pair of decent copper on a balanced 4.4 to go with them.

Overall, I had high hopes for these cans and I waited months for the delivery... Now I'm just kinda, "meh".
I would recommend skipping the Stpad2s if you have big ears and going for the BW Sheepskin nonangled. They are comfy but have been noted to not do much for the bass. Hopefully, the extra damping in the Noir should rectify that, but if it you still don’t feel it’s enough, open up your cans and stuff some cotton balls in the wooden cups. Toss out the circle foam and put like 3-5 balls in there. That gave me the ideal response in my Classics (I used 5 balls).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back