Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Mar 27, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #5,268 of 7,695
I'm worried sbout this new pad revision... there is a frequency response graph comparing the pads on Massdrop. The wording is confusing but the newer pads seem even warmer and bassier than the old ones. They're also bigger than the current pads and have foam dampening, which could just muffle the sound even more...

Mar 27, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #5,269 of 7,695
I'm worried sbout this new pad revision... there is a frequency response graph comparing the pads on Massdrop. The wording is confusing but the newer pads seem even warmer and bassier than the old ones. They're also bigger than the current pads and have foam dampening, which could just muffle the sound even more...
Are you sure the image you are looking at isn’t of the current pads? It they’re meant to emulate the originals they shouldn’t look thicker. But this is why I’ll wait until a few people have been able to try them first.

Mar 27, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #5,270 of 7,695
Are you sure the image you are looking at isn’t of the current pads? It they’re meant to emulate the originals they shouldn’t look thicker. But this is why I’ll wait until a few people have been able to try them first.
After checking, the depth of the new pad revision is 1mm less than the current pads but the same width and more height

Mar 28, 2019 at 6:18 AM Post #5,272 of 7,695
It's been up for a while now: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ifi-ipurifier-3-0.23374/reviews#review-21639

Just to stay on topic, I have to say that the Meze 99 Classics and the iFi xDSD are the PERFECT match! Anyone looking for a versatile DAC/AMP for their 99 Classics should really consider the xDSD. I have clocked in many a multi-hour listening session with the pair, and bar none the sound is addicting! Both XBass and 3D+ sound phenomenal with the 99 Classics (no surprise as they take to EQing really well). It's almost like the folks over at iFi finished the prototype of the xDSD and asked the question " But does it sound good with the 99 Classics? " as the synergy between the pairing is above par, heck, dare I say perfect match!

:metal::sunglasses:
Cool! Hope to get this IFI xdsd also soon :))

Apr 1, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #5,275 of 7,695
Got my Noir's in today. First thing I noticed is the multitude of what looks like scratches in the finish of the wood cups. Looks like yet another Massdrop return. *sigh*

Apr 1, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #5,277 of 7,695
What about pads? Does they come with 2 different type of pads??

Yes. The installed pads are very nice and roomy (and quite comfortable). I've not had a 99 before, so I don't know how they differ from previous versions.
They also come with smaller pads, which I swapped on, but I didn't think they sounded as good and were not very comfortable.

Apr 1, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #5,278 of 7,695
Yes. The installed pads are very nice and roomy (and quite comfortable). I've not had a 99 before, so I don't know how they differ from previous versions.
They also come with smaller pads, which I swapped on, but I didn't think they sounded as good and were not very comfortable.
Can you measure size of this 2 pads in cm?

Apr 1, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #5,280 of 7,695
Stock 99 (Noir & Classics) Meze Pad: Outer dims: 96.24mm, 85mm, 25mm (H,W,D) Inner dims: 60mm, 50mm (H,W,) Backing Material: Black Mesh
New “Original” Meze Pad: Outer dims: 104mm, 85mm, 24mm (H,W,D) Inner dims: 67.5mm, 50mm (H,W,) Backing Material: Black Mesh with foam

this is from the massdrop page

Users who are viewing this thread

Back