Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Apr 5, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #5,296 of 7,681
I have had both and they sound alike. I can't tell if there is any difference but the Noir is just out-of-the-box so it may sound slightly difference from lack of break-in.
Otherwise, it is the same.

Apr 5, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #5,297 of 7,681
I have had both and they sound alike. I can't tell if there is any difference but the Noir is just out-of-the-box so it may sound slightly difference from lack of break-in.
Otherwise, it is the same.
Have you happened to listen with both pairs of pads? I’m mostly curious on if the smaller pads sound like the originals

Apr 5, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #5,298 of 7,681
Have you happened to listen with both pairs of pads? I’m mostly curious on if the smaller pads sound like the originals
Weirdly enough, the new pads are actually bigger in height. Only thing smaller is how deep they are by 1mm. The main difference is that the new ones that simulate the old, small pads have a layer of foam on the back. I don't own them btw, just from the site

Apr 5, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #5,301 of 7,681
I have not had a chance to change the pads. I haven't gotten a lot of listen time with them, plan to try the others out tomorrow and the day after to see what the differences are. Will try to post something soon...got a craft beer run to Maine tomorrow so definitely after that.

Apr 5, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #5,302 of 7,681
I have not had a chance to change the pads. I haven't gotten a lot of listen time with them, plan to try the others out tomorrow and the day after to see what the differences are. Will try to post something soon...got a craft beer run to Maine tomorrow so definitely after that.
Sounds good, what brewery? Good stuff in Maine, I’m in Mass myself :)

Apr 5, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #5,303 of 7,681
I like Bissell Brothers, Austin Street, Battery Steele, Definitive and Rising Tide. Hope to grab some good releases...then onto the tunes.
Got some older stuff playing now on the Noir. Sounding pretty nice

Apr 5, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #5,304 of 7,681
Hope you have a good road trip playlist. It should include "East Bound and Down" by Jerry Reed from "Smokey and the Bandit" - they went to TX for beer and you're going to Maine. :beerchug::beerchug::beerchug:

Apr 6, 2019 at 12:51 AM Post #5,305 of 7,681
Random appreciation photos coming through.

Loving 'em... they're keepers for me.

Meze 99c | Yaxi stPad 2 | Meze 7N OCC Copper

Source: iBasso DX200 with Amp8w

20190406_121807.jpg

20190405_182054.jpg

Apr 6, 2019 at 12:52 AM Post #5,306 of 7,681
I like Bissell Brothers, Austin Street, Battery Steele, Definitive and Rising Tide. Hope to grab some good releases...then onto the tunes.
Got some older stuff playing now on the Noir. Sounding pretty nice

I prefer Livingston Taylor's cover. A true audiophile classic!

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2019 at 1:32 AM Post #5,307 of 7,681
I think about to buy the Meze 99 classics.

I own a Audioquest Nightowl and I still have a Grado GH2 and a Stax SR-60. They sound much different to the Audioquest. So, does not it make any sense to buy the Meze 99 in addition, since it is very similar to the NO (maybe the Nightowl has all properties that the Meze 99 have...and/but a little more/better)?!

Does the Meze 99 classics still complement my collection well or is one of the other headphones enough or better?

What do you think?

Apr 6, 2019 at 6:51 AM Post #5,308 of 7,681
I have the NO as well and I think the sound is different enough that I would consider it worth the expense.

Apr 6, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #5,309 of 7,681
I have the NO as well and I think the sound is different enough that I would consider it worth the expense.
Is it correct, that the new Meze 99 classics with greater ear pads are not so good as the older Meze 99 classics with little ear pads?
“A lot of people felt the new pads essentially ruined the lows and low mids. Original older pads are not available...“

Apr 7, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #5,310 of 7,681
Is it correct, that the new Meze 99 classics with greater ear pads are not so good as the older Meze 99 classics with little ear pads?
“A lot of people felt the new pads essentially ruined the lows and low mids. Original older pads are not available...“
Take everything you read with a grain of salt. Everybody hears differently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back