Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Apr 7, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #5,311 of 7,702
Take everything you read with a grain of salt. Everybody hears differently.
Everybody indeed hears things differently. But if we were to take everything we read with a grain of salt, essentially I see little reason to visit the forum. My best advice is to read as much of any particular thread possible. Look for patterns and commonalities. My best guess is that a large majority of people who like the Classics with new pads, likely never heard the originals. And vice versa, those who did hear the original, didn't care for the sound with the new pads. If you never heard the original, you wouldn't know the difference. What can't be argued, is that the new pads did alter the sound. The rest is personal preference.

Apr 7, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #5,312 of 7,702
Everybody indeed hears things differently. But if we were to take everything we read with a grain of salt, essentially I see little reason to visit the forum. My best advice is to read as much of any particular thread possible. Look for patterns and commonalities. My best guess is that a large majority of people who like the Classics with new pads, likely never heard the originals. And vice versa, those who did hear the original, didn't care for the sound with the new pads. If you never heard the original, you wouldn't know the difference. What can't be argued, is that the new pads did alter the sound. The rest is personal preference.
I had original pads...switched to Brainwavz Sheepskin then moved onto Shure 1540 pads now. Only reason i moved from Original pads was bc they were so shallow it was uncomfortable on my ears.

Apr 7, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #5,313 of 7,702
I had original pads...switched to Brainwavz Sheepskin then moved onto Shure 1540 pads now. Only reason i moved from Original pads was bc they were so shallow it was uncomfortable on my ears.
Do the 1540s keep you relatively close to the original sound?

Apr 7, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #5,314 of 7,702
Do the 1540s keep you relatively close to the original sound?
Didn't listen long enough to the original. Way too uncomfortable for me but I believe bass was relatively the same. I know someone else gave their 1540 impressions recently, cant remember if they have original pads

Apr 7, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #5,317 of 7,702
Take everything you read with a grain of salt. Everybody hears differently.

I agree with his in part .. You hafta take a listen to your cans before opening up to making changes. I've gotten caught up in this too where I was pad rolling before my Neos arrived. With my Classics.. I listened to em for a straight week and took notes of what I liked and didn't before deciding to spend the cash-eesh and padroll.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #5,319 of 7,702
So, first of all listen, compare with the other headphones that you own and then decide if you may buy other ear pads or not ?!
Ok, that's how I'll do it. I definitely bought them because they were really cheap. I will report.

Apr 8, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #5,321 of 7,702
According to a post from Massdrop on Reddit a drop is going live tomorrow. I think I will bite but I’m still kind of on the fence for some reason...
Yeah just got the email. In stock and ready to ship

Apr 9, 2019 at 4:27 AM Post #5,323 of 7,702
Joshua Velour just posted a review of the 99 Noir on YouTube...according to Josh, the extra pads are apparently even more bassy...

:::facepalm::

I really don't understand Antonio and Meze's position in general regarding the Pads, their decisions, secrecy…

From time to time, this controversy appears and we always get silence from Meze. And the curious thing is that we are all satisfied customers, that we have supported a small company, that we enjoy the sound that their products offer us.

In Meze they know better than anyone that there are sound differences between the different pads, if the controversy is real or exaggerated, if the sound curves are so different, etc ... and it would be good to indicate it, because I say again, we are their customers and we deserve that information, after talking about it for so long and with the promise of releases of pads that never arrive.

No one has problems with Meze's excellent customer service, or with the quality of their products, but this pads situation seem more like the secret formula of Coca-Cola or NASA files.

How difficult is it to tell the reality and the plans? The curious thing about all this is that simply selling the original pads on their website would end the controversy, they would earn money and we would all be so happy. And if the change of sound is not so evident between the different pads, a message in the forum or on their website would silence the rumors and polemics once and for all.

But no, it's groundhog day, over and over again.

Apr 9, 2019 at 6:20 AM Post #5,324 of 7,702
I just switched over to the second pads (versus the ones that were installed) yesterday and while I did not notice any real bass extension, the mids seemed a little more forward? The comfort was about the same, maybe slightly better as the 2nd pair seemed more pliant, softer. I will need to do some more comparisons. Not sure where I stand on sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back