Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Mar 21, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #5,236 of 7,695
Wew...almost 4 days and 350 pages later, I've made my way through the thread.

Checking in as another proud owner of the 99C. Was looking for a pair of over-ears I could take out of the house for commutes when my inner ears needed a break from IEMs and I've been very impressed. What probably surprises me most about these is how forgiving they can be on stuff that's not well-mixed/mastered (which I attribute to the way they represent mids and treble). It's not often you find a pair that you don't even own for a week and know they'll become mainstays in your collection, but these definitely fit the bill.

Now I've gone through all the discussion of pads and cables and DACs and amps and it kinda just makes me smile (in a good way). Sometimes, I think we lose sight of the reality that everybody's ears are different and what works for one person may be a complete departure from "good" for another. That being said, I find the 99C absolutely irresistible. They're certainly not the clearest, most neutral, most versatile pair of cans I've ever tried, but they just ooze with character and I really do believe that it's the perfect pair for those who like to tinker with hardware and EQ mods to dial in closer to their preferences. I also really admire that it doesn't seem to matter whether I plug these into my Opus#1 or straight into the headphone jack of my OnePlus6 (which, sadly, could benefit from a much better amp stage on a lot of pairs), it still manages to erk out a smile on my face. I also find that they isolate well enough for me to handle commutes into work, so long as the bus I'm on isn't eliciting death-groans (the brakes on yesterday's commute home sounded like a pair of whales crying for mercy).

During my testing on different sources, I figured for S&Gs to run through the Neutralizer app that I use for EQing all my other products (Android only, don't think there's an iOS version). Ended up with the following curve:

Screenshot_20190321-120802__01.jpg

It's a little different than the one that's been recommended, but I've noticed everything just seems to balance out. Some of the boominess has disappeared, but it's not entirely gone. I suggest, if you feel so bold, that you grab the app and give it a shot yourself since it'll be an EQ based more around your own ears. Just find it interesting that the final curve looks the way it does as it seems to be a mirror image of the one that was already in here. Obviously YMMV.

Anyway, glad to be a part of the club. SPC Balanced cable, once it's back in stock on the site, will get ordered. I'm a fan of the 99C, despite its shortcomings and even with the stock pads (I have Gen 3).

Mar 21, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #5,238 of 7,695
Wew...almost 4 days and 350 pages later, I've made my way through the thread.

Checking in as another proud owner of the 99C. Was looking for a pair of over-ears I could take out of the house for commutes when my inner ears needed a break from IEMs and I've been very impressed. What probably surprises me most about these is how forgiving they can be on stuff that's not well-mixed/mastered (which I attribute to the way they represent mids and treble). It's not often you find a pair that you don't even own for a week and know they'll become mainstays in your collection, but these definitely fit the bill.

Now I've gone through all the discussion of pads and cables and DACs and amps and it kinda just makes me smile (in a good way). Sometimes, I think we lose sight of the reality that everybody's ears are different and what works for one person may be a complete departure from "good" for another. That being said, I find the 99C absolutely irresistible. They're certainly not the clearest, most neutral, most versatile pair of cans I've ever tried, but they just ooze with character and I really do believe that it's the perfect pair for those who like to tinker with hardware and EQ mods to dial in closer to their preferences. I also really admire that it doesn't seem to matter whether I plug these into my Opus#1 or straight into the headphone jack of my OnePlus6 (which, sadly, could benefit from a much better amp stage on a lot of pairs), it still manages to erk out a smile on my face. I also find that they isolate well enough for me to handle commutes into work, so long as the bus I'm on isn't eliciting death-groans (the brakes on yesterday's commute home sounded like a pair of whales crying for mercy).

During my testing on different sources, I figured for S&Gs to run through the Neutralizer app that I use for EQing all my other products (Android only, don't think there's an iOS version). Ended up with the following curve:

It's a little different than the one that's been recommended, but I've noticed everything just seems to balance out. Some of the boominess has disappeared, but it's not entirely gone. I suggest, if you feel so bold, that you grab the app and give it a shot yourself since it'll be an EQ based more around your own ears. Just find it interesting that the final curve looks the way it does as it seems to be a mirror image of the one that was already in here. Obviously YMMV.

Anyway, glad to be a part of the club. SPC Balanced cable, once it's back in stock on the site, will get ordered. I'm a fan of the 99C, despite its shortcomings and even with the stock pads (I have Gen 3).

If you want all of the boominess to go away, you need to cut the bass at about -3 to -5dB from 80 Hz to 150 Hz and increase it at +3.5 to +4.5 below 80Hz

Mar 21, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #5,239 of 7,695
If you want all of the boominess to go away, you need to cut the bass at about -3 to -5dB from 80 Hz to 150 Hz and increase it at +3.5 to +4.5 below 80Hz
I run your EQ on the Opus; this is just what I end up with using Neutralizer, which grabs its curve a little differently (generates tones, adjust dials until they're barely audible). Both work in different aspects. I agree it shouldn't make sense based on the curve shape, but it's rather pleasant.

Mar 22, 2019 at 12:30 AM Post #5,240 of 7,695
Just some food for thought (and I am sure it can relate to headphones as well, and hopefully end the debate).

Mar 22, 2019 at 10:45 PM Post #5,243 of 7,695
Why does it take so long for them to get to you? :)

It's MassDrop, duh! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
But in all seriousness, as an International Shipper, I can tell you with complete certainty that Canadian Customs is a b!tch.

Mar 22, 2019 at 10:51 PM Post #5,246 of 7,695
I'm sorry to hear that...

Also, believe me, you don't want to know Romanian customs, or at least DHL Customs and even FedEX customs in Romania!!!!

Oh I know! FedEx is a little better than DHL, but for some reason (damn near half the shipping cost) my company's Romanian clients prefer DHL. Inside Sales always asks me why it's taking so long and all I tell them is " It's Romania! Be glad it even arrives at all! ". :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Mar 22, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #5,247 of 7,695
Yeah it is the expected shipping date

Keep cash on hand (credit card will do too) for the duty fee or the wait will be even longer. Most often standard ground shipments are transferred to Canada Post regardless of how it originally shipped from the US. There is nothing worse than having head-gear sitting at your nearest Shopper's Drug Mart overnight.

Mar 23, 2019 at 3:15 AM Post #5,248 of 7,695
Mar 24, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #5,250 of 7,695
:o2smile: Please share with us once it's online!

It's been up for a while now: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ifi-ipurifier-3-0.23374/reviews#review-21639

Just to stay on topic, I have to say that the Meze 99 Classics and the iFi xDSD are the PERFECT match! Anyone looking for a versatile DAC/AMP for their 99 Classics should really consider the xDSD. I have clocked in many a multi-hour listening session with the pair, and bar none the sound is addicting! Both XBass and 3D+ sound phenomenal with the 99 Classics (no surprise as they take to EQing really well). It's almost like the folks over at iFi finished the prototype of the xDSD and asked the question " But does it sound good with the 99 Classics? " as the synergy between the pairing is above par, heck, dare I say perfect match!

:metal::sunglasses:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back