Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Nov 13, 2018 at 5:52 AM Post #4,501 of 7,696
Indeed. We all have different ears, and it's difficult at times to put into words what one is hearing and not offend, simply because we can not relay the intended inflection or tone of the sentence. Personally, that's why I like to use emojis. Nobody is going to second guess the intent when :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: or :angry: or :thumbsup: is placed after the sentence.

:metal::sunglasses:
:ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile: Very true! :k701smile::k701smile::k701smile:

Nov 13, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #4,503 of 7,696
Looking for replacement pads for my 99 classics, after reading almost every page of this post i understand brainwavz sheepskin are the best.
What kind should i buy? round(40$), oval(40$) or oval angled(50$)?
Oval

Nov 17, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #4,508 of 7,696
Can anyone please review meze 99 against phonon smb-02 ? Both of them are some of the best headphone under $500. I just bought a used phonon and find a good deal for used meze 99 clasic for $200.
Why would you buy used Meze? I think they have already been advertized two times at massdrop for 199.99. Just wait for it to get new Meze 99 Classics for $199.99.

Nov 17, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #4,509 of 7,696
Why would you buy used Meze? I think they have already been advertized two times at massdrop for 199.99. Just wait for it to get new Meze 99 Classics for $199.99.

Not everyone can order from Massdrop. We have stopped doing it because of the high import fees here. We end up not saving any money.

Nov 18, 2018 at 1:50 AM Post #4,510 of 7,696
Not everyone can order from Massdrop. We have stopped doing it because of the high import fees here. We end up not saving any money.

Yeah. In my country the sennheiser hd6xx price become $310 after import fees.

I just bought used phonon smb-02 for $200 and i wonder if i should buy the meze 99 classic for $200 dollar too.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018 at 12:50 AM Post #4,511 of 7,696
I've been using Meze 99 Classics for a year now, it's lightly used as the pads aren't comfortable to me, sound-wise i really love them.
In less than a year, about 10 months of usage the pads starting to show wear and peel off by itself, kinda surprised though, as this is lightly used and indoor only(desktop), and in 12 months they are completely torned up, everything is messed up, even the foam inside.

So, i bought Brainwavz Hybrid Non-Angled for a replacement, the Sheep Skin isn't available at the moment locally(need to import).
Out of the box with these, bass is mostly gone, mids and highs are piercingly harsh, thin, in short it ruined the sound.
I noticed the Brainwavz's foam cover is way thinner than stock Meze pads', only had cotton pads at the time so i experimented with these, i taped it in front of the driver.
I've been switching between these and stock pads to be sure i'm not missing anything, and ended up liking the new sound, the original bass is back with less bloom, tighter and more controlled, mids and highs increased a bit and of course soundstage is also widened.
My head is really picky when it comes to comfort, even HD599s aren't comfortable, yes you heard that right. :smiley:
Classics with Hybrid is the most comfortable cans i've used, no discomfort whatsoever even when i use it all day.

Mind you i'm not an audiophile by any means, i drove my Classics only with E10K. :)
I'm wondering if the Sheep Skin sounds that much different without any mods than the Hybrid out of the box?

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018 at 2:22 AM Post #4,513 of 7,696
I've been using Meze 99 Classics for a year now, it's lightly used as the pads aren't comfortable to me, sound-wise i really love them.
In less than a year, about 10 months of usage the pads starting to show wear and peel off by itself, kinda surprised though, as this is lightly used and indoor only(desktop), and in 12 months they are completely torned up, everything is messed up, even the foam inside.

So, i bought Brainwavz Hybrid Non-Angled for a replacement, the Sheep Skin isn't available at the moment locally(need to import).
Out of the box with these, bass is mostly gone, mids and highs are piercingly harsh, thin, in short it ruined the sound.
I noticed the Brainwavz's foam cover is way thinner than stock Meze pads', only had cotton pads at the time so i experimented with these, i taped it in front of the driver.
I've been switching between these and stock pads to be sure i'm not missing anything, and ended up liking the new sound, the original bass is back with less bloom, tighter and more controlled, mids and highs increased a bit and of course soundstage is also widened.
My head is really picky when it comes to comfort, even HD599s aren't comfortable, yes you heard that right. :smiley:
Classics with Hybrid is the most comfortable cans i've used, no discomfort whatsoever even when i use it all day.

Mind you i'm not an audiophile by any means, i drove my Classics only with E10K. :)
I'm wondering if the Sheep Skin sounds that much different without any mods than the Hybrid out of the box?

Thx bro. Now im sure not to buy the $200 used meze classic because the pads are not the original anymore and they changed it with brainwavs sheepskin one.
I've read some review about brainwavs replacement earpads for my msr7 and many of them said its really comfy but will ruin the sound due to bass reduction. But i forgot where the review was.
I suggest you to find some yaxi earpads because it'll increase the soundquality on most headphone (based on review from mike headfoniastore and my used phonon that come with yaxi 90mm fix. I don't know the original earpads sound but mike said that phonon sounds better with yaxi ) using the not microfiber one (will reduce some bass).

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018 at 6:09 AM Post #4,515 of 7,696
Thx bro. Now im sure not to buy the $200 used meze classic because the pads are not the original anymore and they changed it with brainwavs sheepskin one.
I've read some review about brainwavs replacement earpads for my msr7 and many of them said its really comfy but will ruin the sound due to bass reduction. But i forgot where the review was.
I suggest you to find some yaxi earpads because it'll increase the soundquality on most headphone (based on review from mike headfoniastore and my used phonon that come with yaxi 90mm fix. I don't know the original earpads sound but mike said that phonon sounds better with yaxi ) using the not microfiber one (will reduce some bass).

Well, i think Classics with my modded Hybrid sound really great i love them, maybe i like it more than with the original earpads(i think mine are 2nd gen pads, so bass is quite boomy), the downside(?) is just flaws in bad recordings are more exposed now because it sounds clearer with a little bit more mids and highs.
Sheep Skin should sound great without mods, as there are many recommendations about it.
I'm not really interested in YAXI, too expensive IMHO.

Just put some foam cover inside earpads, i suspect the problem is with Brainwavz' thin foam cover and it's size(it's designed for their HM5 after all), thicker foam cover should improve bass and tame harsh mids/highs.
it's similar with Senn HD558 foam mod, except it's the opposite of that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back