Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Nov 12, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #4,471 of 7,696
I don't think it's particularly useless- I imagine you aren't under the impression that I thought they sounded great. But 'tis true, it's not a great description, so I have a whole review written about them. I'm pretty descriptive there.

But here are some highlights-

The following observations are using the balanced output of the DX120. I did not use the equalizer during the following 3 albums. Obviously, using the balanced cable.

I listened to Kamasi Washington's The Epic. The first song on there, 'Changing of the Guard', came out sounding like garbled chewed bubblegum. No, really, it was an amorphous mass or indistinguishable sound trying to bust its way into my head and out of the cups. I was thinking, holy crap, these things are busted. Unfortunately, the other songs sounded just as atrocious.

Next, I listened to Michael Jackson's Thriller, in DSD128. The sound was an incessant vibrating throb of bass, with some smaller bass rumbles. You could barely make out Michael's voice, it sounded like, well, imagine talking to your friend with two tin cans and a string. That's what the treble sounded like. The thing is, if you listen to The Thriller album with balanced cans, and without EQ, there's not really a whole lot of bass on most of the songs. It's there, but not overpowering, especially on Thriller (the song) This is why we we're always hitting that 'Loudness' button when we were kids, to make Billie Jean thump.

Finally, I tried out the highest resolution classical album I own, Gabriel Faure Requiem in DSD 128... the treble sounded a bit like what you'd hear out of one of those old handheld transistor radio speakers that your grandpa listened to baseball on, but in stereo, and in a cave (i.e. claustrophobic, not echo) Ok, it wasn't full of static like grampy's radio, but, the music was about as enjoyable. Way too much muddy bass for what is basically a choral work.

Even with the new larger pads, what you described does not sound correct at all! Gabriel Faure - Requiem is one of my favourites, and what you described is alien to my ears. Nope, the pair you demo'd seem faulty. :thinking:

Nov 12, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #4,472 of 7,696
Saying a headphone is terrible on a thread for that headphone and do expect some pushback. Do I think it is the greatest headphone ever no but terrible it is not. You can find as many here to say that Grado is the worst headphone made. Instead of saying terrible you could say not for me and not call those that like them more or less morons. You can look at my profile and I have a few headphones and I would never say another was horrible. People like what they like and would not ever say what you liked was horrible I might say I didn’t like it but Audio is too subjective to have horrible thrown around.
I think he's referencing the differences in what he has read regarding the sound quality, and what he actually heard. Again, I'm sure it was due to the pad swap Meze decided was necessary. All of the glowing reviews were based off the original pads.

Nov 12, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #4,473 of 7,696
Even with the new larger pads, what you described does not sound correct at all! Gabriel Faure - Requiem is one of my favourites, and what you described is alien to my ears. Nope, the pair you demo'd seem faulty. :thinking:
I hope so. They seem like a very nice pair of headphones. I really wanted to fall in love with them.

Nov 12, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #4,474 of 7,696
Saying a headphone is terrible on a thread for that headphone and do expect some pushback. Do I think it is the greatest headphone ever no but terrible it is not. You can find as many here to say that Grado is the worst headphone made. Instead of saying terrible you could say not for me and not call those that like them more or less morons. You can look at my profile and I have a few headphones and I would never say another was horrible. People like what they like and would not ever say what you liked was horrible I might say I didn’t like it but Audio is too subjective to have horrible thrown around.

I certainly don't think people who like these are morons, as a matter of fact, I mention in my review that I am a bit envious of those who do like them. Perhaps since this was my first real review, the adjectives I used were a bit 'harsh' so to say. As I've noticed, people tend to be more subtle, but the message is still the same if one reads between the lines. I'm a bit autistic, so, social cues are not my greatest strength. But yeah, I do understand the whole 'not for me' thing... I remember the Etymotic Vs. Shure flamewars back at the turn of the century, people certainly had some polarizing opinions then!

Nov 12, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #4,475 of 7,696
Yeah, it was like whoosh whoosh, hum, thump, CAR HORN!!!!!!!!! (when the organ played)

Nov 12, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #4,477 of 7,696
I think he's referencing the differences in what he has read regarding the sound quality, and what he actually heard. Again, I'm sure it was due to the pad swap Meze decided was necessary. All of the glowing reviews were based off the original pads.
That well may be but for one I don’t think the Meze 99 Classics are terrible. I’m sure a lot of others don’t as well. Just don’t like the terrible as other would think the Grado 325’s are terrible but would say they are not for me or I didn’t like them but terrible they are not. See my problem?

Nov 12, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #4,478 of 7,696
I certainly don't think people who like these are morons, as a matter of fact, I mention in my review that I am a bit envious of those who do like them. Perhaps since this was my first real review, the adjectives I used were a bit 'harsh' so to say. As I've noticed, people tend to be more subtle, but the message is still the same if one reads between the lines. I'm a bit autistic, so, social cues are not my greatest strength. But yeah, I do understand the whole 'not for me' thing... I remember the Etymotic Vs. Shure flamewars back at the turn of the century, people certainly had some polarizing opinions then!
I totally understand your position I just have a problem with terrible you can hate them and I have no problem but as a reviewer that has weight and you should choose your words more carefully as others don’t hear the same as you.

Nov 12, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #4,479 of 7,696
That well may be but for one I don’t think the Meze 99 Classics are terrible. I’m sure a lot of others don’t as well. Just don’t like the terrible as other would think the Grado 325’s are terrible but would say they are not for me or I didn’t like them but terrible they are not. See my problem?
The 325 is definitely a love it or hate it situation.

Nov 12, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #4,480 of 7,696
Yeah, it was like whoosh whoosh, hum, thump, CAR HORN!!!!!!!!! (when the organ played)

You mention you used a balanced cable. Was it the Meze cable? Perhaps the cable itself has wiring issues?
Ok, so what I will do is this- I'll try to find me another pair to try out. If I'm wrong, and I hope I am, I will come back and eat my words and heap praise on the 99 Classics. The general consensus is that the pair I tried were messed up. We'll see!

I just whipped up a new balanced cable last night after overnighting parts from Amazon, and with the original pads + xDSD, all I can say is the sound is absolutely sublime! Overall, my 99 Classics get more head-time than my HE-560 or HD600... combined! To give you an idea of how the 99 Classics SHOULD sound, they essentially are a closed back, wood cupped HD600 tonally with (trigger warning!) greater resolve!

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #4,481 of 7,696
If the opportunity arises where I can try these locally with new pads, I will.
I did not mean to offend you. Sorry if it sounded this way. I really did not mean it.
The thing is that old pads (and not new ones) should be used to have good sound. I guess you can't get them in the store where you tried the subj. Thus, that's where we are.

Nov 12, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #4,482 of 7,696
I think the reason was completely different sound, knowing how that Grado sounds, I think he would want his music to be brighter, more treble and less bass, would probably have required a more drastic EQ than I typically suggest :)
I am 100% for the idea. And this pair of headphones is far from the bright side.

Nov 12, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #4,483 of 7,696
The 325 is definitely a love it or hate it situation.
Understand listening to my RS-1’s right now from my new Dragonfly Red and it does quite good.

Nov 12, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #4,484 of 7,696
I did not mean to offend you. Sorry if it sounded this way. I really did not mean it.
The thing is that old pads (and not new ones) should be used to have good sound. I guess you can't get them in the store where you tried the subj. Thus, that's where we are.
I'm not offended, I'm fat and thick skinned. No, after the feedback I've gotten, I think the ones I listened to were busted. But I do want to try them when they release the new pads.

Nov 12, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #4,485 of 7,696
You mention you used a balanced cable. Was it the Meze cable? Perhaps the cable itself has wiring issues?

I just whipped up a new balanced cable last night after overnighting parts from Amazon, and with the original pads + xDSD, all I can say is the sound is absolutely sublime! Overall, my 99 Classics get more head-time than my HE-560 or HD600... combined! To give you an idea of how the 99 Classics SHOULD sound, they essentially are a closed back, wood cupped HD600 tonally with (trigger warning!) greater resolve!
They were the Meze balanced cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back