Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Nov 26, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #4,532 of 7,704
Hey guys, new fan to the Meze thread.
I'm a little curious on these headphones since i visited a shop last week and the Meze 99 Classics were gonna be on cyber monday sale today.
How is the sound signature? just a little curious as i might pick them up.
if at all possible, has anyone tried them with B&O H6(2nd gen) or B&W P7 wired? or would the 99C be a completely different sound from the other two and have something wildly different.

Nov 26, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #4,534 of 7,704
Nov 26, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #4,535 of 7,704
any particular reason as to why? :p
I'm "only" guessing but I'd venture to say he much prefers the 99 classics? They're a really good headphone man! Elevated bass but tight and punchy (others will say they bleed somewhat into the mids but I don't really hear it), beautiful mids with non sibilant smooth highs. Personally, they're my 1 and only portable HP and enjoy them immensely off my desktop gear too.

Nov 26, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #4,536 of 7,704
any particular reason as to why? :p

I have the B&O H6 Second gen and the Meze 99 Neo which is very similar to the Classic (some may disagree).

The H6 sounds great ...nothing wrong with the sound at all. The cups are comfortable for me but the headband is not... the edge of it annoys me because of the lack of padding.

My Meze is super comfortable and for some reason I just get more immersed in the music.... and can listen for hours and hours with them. Maybe the Meze is just a little more fun?

Nov 26, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #4,538 of 7,704
Hey guys, new fan to the Meze thread.
I'm a little curious on these headphones since i visited a shop last week and the Meze 99 Classics were gonna be on cyber monday sale today.
How is the sound signature? just a little curious as i might pick them up.
if at all possible, has anyone tried them with B&O H6(2nd gen) or B&W P7 wired? or would the 99C be a completely different sound from the other two and have something wildly different.
Well, I'm going to go into an opposite direction via the previous posters. I prefer the 2nd generation H6 over the Classics. I prefer the smooth and balanced sound. The new generation pads on the Classics elevated the low end too much for my taste, and it can get a little unruly imo. I also prefer the highs of the H6. The mids are the heart and soul of rock n roll, and I can't fault either can in this category. Unfortunately, the low end of the Classics with the new pads can have a negative effect on this. I also won't wear the Classics in public. I would if they had a regular headband, but the suspension strap and wire make me feel like I'm trying to reach out to E.T.

Nov 26, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #4,540 of 7,704
Well, I'm going to go into an opposite direction via the previous posters. I prefer the 2nd generation H6 over the Classics. I prefer the smooth and balanced sound. The new generation pads on the Classics elevated the low end too much for my taste, and it can get a little unruly imo. I also prefer the highs of the H6. The mids are the heart and soul of rock n roll, and I can't fault either can in this category. Unfortunately, the low end of the Classics with the new pads can have a negative effect on this. I also won't wear the Classics in public. I would if they had a regular headband, but the suspension strap and wire make me feel like I'm trying to reach out to E.T.

I don't wear either of them outside:) I would choose my 1More H1707 for that.

Nov 26, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #4,541 of 7,704
I wear the 99 Classic outside everywhere, all the time. I couldn’t care less about fashion statements or lack of and only concern myself with the sound. Additionally, I get nothing but comments on how cool these look but again, that doesn’t matter to me. We all have differing opinions and it’s all good. :)

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #4,542 of 7,704
I would also agree, i love the smooth sound of the H62ndG but ive heard the 99classics have a similar touch with a thicker tone in the lows. im mostly in the market for another closed back casual headphone to replace my B&W P7's. as they're getting a bit boring to me.
I listen to a lot of rock, film soundtracks and the odd metal/punk/dance/techno/classic.

also, since there are two inputs per cup, would it be possible to make these balanced without modding internally?

Nov 26, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #4,543 of 7,704
I would also agree, i love the smooth sound of the H62ndG but ive heard the 99classics have a similar touch with a thicker tone in the lows. im mostly in the market for another closed back casual headphone to replace my B&W P7's. as they're getting a bit boring to me.
I listen to a lot of rock, film soundtracks and the odd metal/punk/dance/techno/classic.

also, since there are two inputs per cup, would it be possible to make these balanced without modding internally?

All you need is a balanced cable with two long inputs. I bought one that is also used for Denons on Amazon.

Shane D

Nov 26, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #4,544 of 7,704

I'm with you. Trying to find another headphone for out and about use. I'm eyeballing the Denon ah-mm400, and the new Audio Technica ath Msr7b. I don't think I'll ever get bored with the H6 though.

Nov 26, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #4,545 of 7,704

Meze sells 3 balanced cables..a budget version for $100, a higher quality Copper for $149 and a Silver for $199

Users who are viewing this thread

Back