Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Nov 27, 2018 at 2:37 AM Post #4,546 of 7,683
Hey guys, new fan to the Meze thread.
I'm a little curious on these headphones since i visited a shop last week and the Meze 99 Classics were gonna be on cyber monday sale today.
How is the sound signature? just a little curious as i might pick them up.
if at all possible, has anyone tried them with B&O H6(2nd gen) or B&W P7 wired? or would the 99C be a completely different sound from the other two and have something wildly different.
I have the H62ndG the 99 classics and the P7 wireless, they're all great headphones, but my favourite is definitely the 99 classics, they sound amazing and are so comfortable. I use them with the cheaper Meze balanced cable mostly on my iBasso DX200 with Amp9 it's an amazing combo, especially with good quality jazz recordings. I use the H6's with my iBasso DX80 with as I don't have a balanced cable for them, they are fantastic headphones as well, airy, musical with a great balance between bass, mids and top end. The P7's are very dark and boomy IMO and because of the clamp I find them very uncomfortable after an hour or so.

Nov 27, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #4,547 of 7,683
I'm with you. Trying to find another headphone for out and about use. I'm eyeballing the Denon ah-mm400, and the new Audio Technica ath Msr7b. I don't think I'll ever get bored with the H6 though.
same, the H6 is great, the only thing is i wish it sealed better for me and that it was a bit more... "weighty?" it seems too light and i wish it was more "premium" in terms of feel and build quality.

Nov 27, 2018 at 6:23 AM Post #4,548 of 7,683
I have the H62ndG the 99 classics and the P7 wireless, they're all great headphones, but my favourite is definitely the 99 classics, they sound amazing and are so comfortable. I use them with the cheaper Meze balanced cable mostly on my iBasso DX200 with Amp9 it's an amazing combo, especially with good quality jazz recordings. I use the H6's with my iBasso DX80 with as I don't have a balanced cable for them, they are fantastic headphones as well, airy, musical with a great balance between bass, mids and top end. The P7's are very dark and boomy IMO and because of the clamp I find them very uncomfortable after an hour or so.
Agreed, the P7 wired is similar. after an hour or so i feel sore spot ontop of my head and it becomes uncomfortable to listen for longer than 1-2 hrs. I dont experience this with any other headphone i have or even tried except for the audiotech headphones.. they seem also a bit uncomfortable to me for some reason.

i've never tried the ibasso or any ibasso dap/product before so i can't relate to the sound. but i'd like to try the Meze with my new equipment thats on the way. (RME ADI-2 DAC), does the 99classics scale with equipment? or is it generally efficient in all aspects? because ive read people mention that its so easy to power, you can run it fully on a mobile..

Nov 27, 2018 at 6:34 AM Post #4,549 of 7,683
Agreed, the P7 wired is similar. after an hour or so i feel sore spot ontop of my head and it becomes uncomfortable to listen for longer than 1-2 hrs. I dont experience this with any other headphone i have or even tried except for the audiotech headphones.. they seem also a bit uncomfortable to me for some reason.

i've never tried the ibasso or any ibasso dap/product before so i can't relate to the sound. but i'd like to try the Meze with my new equipment thats on the way. (RME ADI-2 DAC), does the 99classics scale with equipment? or is it generally efficient in all aspects? because ive read people mention that its so easy to power, you can run it fully on a mobile..
IMO the meze's scale well, the balanced cable makes a noticable difference as well. The IBasso DX200 is a fantastic DAP, with the AMP 9 module and the Mezes it produces a lovely analogue like sound.

Nov 28, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #4,550 of 7,683
So i gave the HM5 Pleather another shot while waiting for BW Sheepskin.
My first impression was right, it has similar sound with my stock Meze pads, a tad brighter with tighter bass.
Mind you this is not the one Brainwavz sell separately on their website/Amazon, this is the one that comes with the headphones, it does not have memory foam, thinner, and smaller it has similar size with my stock Meze pads, a bit thinner even.

Here is comparison with Brainwavz Hybrid, sorry for incorrect focus on second picture.
pads1.jpg
pads2.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #4,551 of 7,683
For anyone that has these and the Sennheiser HD 6xx, would it be worth it to own both? From what I could gather from people's opinions is that they are both quite similar. Thoughts?
I have both of them. Even with Schiit Magni 3 (which is a stationary amp) and HD 6xx you can't get the sound I get from the subj and Cayin N6. To tell you frankly I regret buying Schiit Magni 3 and HD 6xx. Meze 99 are just superb! Mind I am an 80% bass-head. IMO.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #4,552 of 7,683
I have both of them. Even with Schiit Magni 3 the HD 6xx you can't get the sound which I get from the subj. To tell you frankly I regret buying Schiit Magni 3 and HD 6xx. Meze 99 are just superb! Mind I am an 80% bass-head. IMO.

I assume your 99Cs have the larger pads, yes?

Nov 29, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #4,553 of 7,683
Nov 30, 2018 at 5:10 AM Post #4,554 of 7,683
Hello, is it normal that the cups move so much ?

Dec 1, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #4,556 of 7,683
I have finally been able to get the original pads in their first version (the small ones). Later I will indicate the differences in the sound that I have found, but now I can tell you that they are not so many and I think it is a subject that lives more of the exaggeration and the legend than of the reality.

Dec 2, 2018 at 7:06 AM Post #4,557 of 7,683
I don't like the way the earpads put pressure on the ears. For longer duration of use, I actually find the LCD-3 more comfortable, despite the much greater weight, because the earpads go around the ears.

Phronesis:
I don't understand why you keep comparing the 99 Classic to your LCD-3. I get that the sound stage is bigger and better with richer tones. Also the comfort of wearing them for a long time doesn't hurt your ears. But I don't understand how you can compare a $300 headphone to a $2000 headphone. That is like comparing a Porsche Panamera to a Honda Accord. Yes both are great vehicles but in their OWN category. I also get you have lots of money to through around.

You said:
"If I needed a closed-back and my budget was say $500 or even maybe $750, I'd gladly buy the Classic 99 and consider it an excellent value. I'm actually looking for good closed-back, and my budget is more like $2K, but I may still buy the Classic 99 anyway." You make it sound like you are doing Meze a favor by buying their peasant headphones. Shame on you. Funny you are slamming the 99 Classics and you don't even own a pair.

I had to save to buy my 99 Classics which I absolutely love. Every time I read posts that the person talks about how much they spent or how many crazy expensive headphones they have it makes me want to leave Head-Fi. I come here for knowledge and real world comparison. I know I am not the only one who thinks this way either.

Dec 2, 2018 at 7:29 AM Post #4,558 of 7,683
Phronesis:
I don't understand why you keep comparing the 99 Classic to your LCD-3. I get that the sound stage is bigger and better with richer tones. Also the comfort of wearing them for a long time doesn't hurt your ears. But I don't understand how you can compare a $300 headphone to a $2000 headphone. That is like comparing a Porsche Panamera to a Honda Accord. Yes both are great vehicles but in their OWN category. I also get you have lots of money to through around.

You said:
"If I needed a closed-back and my budget was say $500 or even maybe $750, I'd gladly buy the Classic 99 and consider it an excellent value. I'm actually looking for good closed-back, and my budget is more like $2K, but I may still buy the Classic 99 anyway." You make it sound like you are doing Meze a favor by buying their peasant headphones. Shame on you. Funny you are slamming the 99 Classics and you don't even own a pair.

I had to save to buy my 99 Classics which I absolutely love. Every time I read posts that the person talks about how much they spent or how many crazy expensive headphones they have it makes me want to leave Head-Fi. I come here for knowledge and real world comparison. I know I am not the only one who thinks this way either.
Personally I love the Meze 99 classics as much as any headphone that I own. It's a fine headphone in it's own right (well any right) no matter what the cost is. I reach for these more times then not on my home rig and always use them on the go as they're basically my one and only portable HP. I'm blown away every time I listen to them. I actually had them modded to take a 4 pin XLR which is so overkill but I don't care.
I think you made a great choice on buying these bro and can be an endgame headphone for many people, including me if I wasn't such a freak. Unfortunately it seems that I MUST buy one of these, one of those and while I'm at it, please gimmie one of those too while you're at it.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2018 at 7:43 AM Post #4,559 of 7,683
Personally I love the Meze 99 classics as much as any headphone that I own. It's a fine headphone in it's own right (well any right) no matter what the cost is. I reach for these more times then not on my home rig and always use them on the go as they're basically my one and only portable HP. I'm blown away every time I listen to them. I actually had them modded to take a 4 pin XLR which is so overkill but I don't care.
I think you made a great choice on buying these bro and can be an endgame headphone for many people, including me if I wasn't such a freak. Unfortunately it seems that I MUST buy one of these, one of those and while I'm at it, please gimmie one of those too while you're at it.

Koover I am in Arizona also. Where are you located? I am in Avondale
I have been searching for about 3 months on and off looking for a TRRS for my 99 Classics. The one that comes with them is really short. Since you buy a lot of head gear maybe you can point me in the right direction. Yes, I know Meze has one, but it's $100. I was looking for cheaper. Thanks.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #4,560 of 7,683
Koover I am in Arizona also. Where are you located? I am in Avondale
I have been searching for about 3 months on and off looking for a TRRS for my 99 Classics. The one that comes with them is really short. Since you buy a lot of head gear maybe you can point me in the right direction. Yes, I know Meze has one, but it's $100. I was looking for cheaper. Thanks.
Are you looking for a balanced cable?
I'm in Surprise so not far from you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back