Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Dec 5, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #4,576 of 7,677
Amazon has the SPC for $80, so $20 cheaper than directly through Meze for whatever reason. Is the Copper OCC worth the upgrade over it? Going to move my current Silver cable from Triton Audio to my 4xx.

EDIT: Meze wants $30 for EMS shipping. $180 for the cable. Crazy lol

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018 at 1:08 AM Post #4,577 of 7,677
Is that cable you have from Meze? I had one given to me that I can't use because it has the 2.5mm TRRS end and I need a 3.5mm. I haven't found an adapter that still gives me a balanced connection. I have seen them on Amazon that will fit the 99 Classics that is balanced but can't seem to locate it again.

Does anyone know where I can find one?
Yes it is from Meze .

Dec 5, 2018 at 1:17 AM Post #4,578 of 7,677
Thank you for taking the trouble to answer, does the cable have any affect on the audio quality apart from the volume and are you using amp 6..
Hi , i am using the Am3 A on the Fiio X7 MKII , the 2 balanced cable from Meze enhanced the audio quality you have better separation , basses are tighten , better mids and highs . And of course more power then the single ended cables

Dec 5, 2018 at 7:05 AM Post #4,579 of 7,677
Hi , i am using the Am3 A on the Fiio X7 MKII , the 2 balanced cable from Meze enhanced the audio quality you have better separation , basses are tighten , better mids and highs . And of course more power then the single ended cables

Thank you very much is that the one priced at 149 euros (middle of the 3 prices)

Dec 6, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #4,582 of 7,677
Thanks, that is the one I was considering.
I was considering that cable as well, but it terminates with a 2.5mm. If you use the adapter to 3.5mm it is not balanced anymore. The headphone plug on each side is very small. It's not easy to find something that will fit.

What is the sense of selling cables (all three) if you MUST have a unit that accepts a 2.5mm male terminal and if you use the supplied adapter it becomes unbalanced. (Scratches my head)

Dec 6, 2018 at 7:39 AM Post #4,583 of 7,677
I was considering that cable as well, but it terminates with a 2.5mm. If you use the adapter to 3.5mm it is not balanced anymore. The headphone plug on each side is very small. It's not easy to find something that will fit.

What is the sense of selling cables (all three) if you MUST have a unit that accepts a 2.5mm male terminal and if you use the supplied adapter it becomes unbalanced. (Scratches my head)

I have an ibasso DX150 which takes a 2.5mm connection so the cable would be OK for me. I think you can find a 2.5mm TRRS to 3.5mm TRRS on Amazon and Ali Express

Dec 6, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #4,584 of 7,677
I have an ibasso DX150 which takes a 2.5mm connection so the cable would be OK for me. I think you can find a 2.5mm TRRS to 3.5mm TRRS on Amazon and Ali Express
All the adapters I have found in my searches are 2.5mm TRRS to 3.5mm TRS, balanced to unbalanced. All balanced cables from Meze are terminated at 2.5mm. I think that Meze didn't think outside the box making the balanced cables. No options available ie.. 3.5mm, 6.3mm, or XLR. Either you buy a piece of equipment that accepts a balanced 2.5mm or buy a custom cable.

Dec 6, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #4,585 of 7,677
I have 2.5mm and a 4.4mm adapters to XLR, 4.4mm to 2.5mm balanced, 2.5mm to 4.4mm and 2.5mm balanced to 3.5mm SE

Dec 6, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #4,586 of 7,677
All the adapters I have found in my searches are 2.5mm TRRS to 3.5mm TRS, balanced to unbalanced. All balanced cables from Meze are terminated at 2.5mm. I think that Meze didn't think outside the box making the balanced cables. No options available ie.. 3.5mm, 6.3mm, or XLR. Either you buy a piece of equipment that accepts a balanced 2.5mm or buy a custom cable.
I'm really struggling to comprehend your argument. The stock cables with these are 3.5...you want a 2.5 balanced (which is the most common balanced out cable right now) then you pay $100 minimum. Want balanced but in XLR & 4.4, then buy a 2.5 to said termination adapter. Want the premium feel of the balanced cable but in 3.5 termination, then get the 150/200 balanced cable and use the included adapter or buy an adapter for the $100 cable lol.

Dec 6, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #4,587 of 7,677
I'm really struggling to comprehend your argument. The stock cables with these are 3.5...you want a 2.5 balanced (which is the most common balanced out cable right now) then you pay $100 minimum. Want balanced but in XLR & 4.4, then buy a 2.5 to said termination adapter. Want the premium feel of the balanced cable but in 3.5 termination, then get the 150/200 balanced cable and use the included adapter or buy an adapter for the $100 cable lol.
Meze was likely thinking portability, which is why the balanced cables are terminated on 2.5....I would imagine, no? Most daps have 2.5mm balanced. You don't have to buy these from Meze if you don't want to spend 100 or more. That's what we have the internet for lol. I'm referring to the original post here. To lazy to search for it

Dec 6, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #4,588 of 7,677
Meze was likely thinking portability, which is why the balanced cables are terminated on 2.5....I would imagine, no? Most daps have 2.5mm balanced. You don't have to buy these from Meze if you don't want to spend 100 or more. That's what we have the internet for lol. I'm referring to the original post here. To lazy to search for it
Kind of true, the housing for these is not normal so aftermarket cables that really fit can be difficult

Dec 6, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #4,589 of 7,677
IMG_2596.jpg

5N OCC cable, 3.5mm plugs, 3.5mm TRRS, $15 CAD eBay. Find someone who is good at soldering if you don't have the skills. With a little ingenuity anything is possible.

:metal::sunglasses:

Dec 7, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #4,590 of 7,677
Sounds like you have all the answers. Re-read what I posted. I guess when you made this statement above, you did ALL your homework as well and contacted Meze about the $150 & $200 cables to see what kind of adapter ships with these cables. I did. I struggle with ignorant opinionated people that talk before they research. To help you to feel better and not struggle, show me the adapters you are talking about on Meze. Obviously I can't find them. That means Meze Customer support lied to me. You do understand male and female ends, right? I am sure there is a website that can explain it to you in detail so you don't struggle. Thats right you don't research before opening your mouth. The upgraded 99 Series cables listed on Meze that come with adapters are NOT BALANCED. Let me repeat that for your simple mind. They ARE NOT BALANCED. Go check for yourself and talk to Meze customer Service. Obviously you researched that already and know my statement is correct. Please keep your comments to yourself unless they are helpful. I will close this post just like you did "lol".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back