Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Oct 23, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #4,396 of 7,704
Read this on innerfidelity's comment section, EXACTLY sums up how I feel:

99 Classics Ear Pad Issue
Submitted by jdnyc614 on May 5, 2017 - 1:19pm

I actually had two pairs of the 99 classics side by side for a few days. One with the old pads and one with the new. The difference using the new pads was like listening to the 99 classics through a wall. The bass easily overwhelmed the other frequencies with the treble struggling to get through. If you read reviews on the head-fi forums you'll notice the reviews start to tank after the new pads were made standard. The recent reviewers can't understand why these are so popular. I hope Meze takes note of this review and reverts back to using the old pads as standard. They can sell the larger pads separately for people who don't mind sacrificing fidelity for some additional comfort.

While breaking in the pads certainly help to tame the bass, and I can't speak for those with larger ears using the large (now standard) pads, I tend to agree. There was (still is) something special about the original pads. I have kind of been on the fence back and forth on the issue, but not being able to use the originals for so long (until I got a clue and fixed the issue) and then hearing them again after a good year's absence, I hate to say it, again, but Meze made a mistake in catering to the vocal few who wanted larger pads. Believe me, in my demoing/loaning out of the 99 Classics to numerous family and friends, not a single person complained about either size or comfort, not one, and I made sure to ask everyone numerous times during their time with the headphones. In fact, virtually everyone who listened to the 99 Classics after I had the larger pads installed asked " What were wrong with the old ones? ". I know right? Unless there is a new catastrophic failure that needs fixing, the originals will forever stay on my 99 Classics. My 2 cents.

Oct 24, 2018 at 12:06 AM Post #4,397 of 7,704
While breaking in the pads certainly help to tame the bass, and I can't speak for those with larger ears using the large (now standard) pads, I tend to agree. There was (still is) something special about the original pads. I have kind of been on the fence back and forth on the issue, but not being able to use the originals for so long (until I got a clue and fixed the issue) and then hearing them again after a good year's absence, I hate to say it, again, but Meze made a mistake in catering to the vocal few who wanted larger pads. Believe me, in my demoing/loaning out of the 99 Classics to numerous family and friends, not a single person complained about either size or comfort, not one, and I made sure to ask everyone numerous times during their time with the headphones. In fact, virtually everyone who listened to the 99 Classics after I had the larger pads installed asked " What were wrong with the old ones? ". I know right? Unless there is a new catastrophic failure that needs fixing, the originals will forever stay on my 99 Classics. My 2 cents.
So can the originals still be sourced? If not, have we found something comparable other than the massive pads mentioned earlier? Do we know which pads are being used on the 99 Noir?

Oct 24, 2018 at 12:15 AM Post #4,398 of 7,704
So can the originals still be sourced? If not, have we found something comparable other than the massive pads mentioned earlier? Do we know which pads are being used on the 99 Noir?

No, the originals are out of production. And speaking of MassDrop, I am a little surprised, since they are manufacturing the 99 Noir, that they are not going with the original pads. I can tell they are the newer, now standard larger pads simply because the leather of the inner ring (I.D. of the pads) is wrinkly whereas the original's leather is smooth. Shame that they don't include both. It's like Meze lost the pattern for the original pads. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Oct 24, 2018 at 12:28 AM Post #4,399 of 7,704

The problem isn't that they changed the pads, it's that they didn't re-tune (re-frequensize?) the headphones. They just slapped the bigger pads on. The frequency response on the box is outdated and doesn't reflect how they sound with the big pads.

Oct 24, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #4,401 of 7,704
Hi.

Treble: Welp.
I don't have a whole lot to say about the treble. It's probably the most disappointing section of the frequency range. There doesn't seem to be much finesse or excitement coming from the treble. It just feels kinda dead. Having tried the P7 before this, it's like night and day. Night though, being the 99 Classics. 3/10.

For me, and at least out of my FiiO X3II, when I tested both at the shop, P7 was the one with less treble and darker sounding to my ears. 99C treble didn't reach Sony MDR-1AM2 levels, but sounded good to me, much better than P7.

Oct 24, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #4,402 of 7,704
For me, and at least out of my FiiO X3II, when I tested both at the shop, P7 was the one with less treble and darker sounding to my ears. 99C treble didn't reach Sony MDR-1AM2 levels, but sounded good to me, much better than P7.
I have both the 99c and the P7 and I agree with your opinion.
P7 sounds hollow and a lot darker compared to the 99.

The 99c is still a basshead headphone though. If I could only tame the bass impact slightly it would be a wet dream for me - the ideal sound signature!

Oct 24, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #4,404 of 7,704
Meze 99 a basshead headphone? Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart is the one ( mind you I still have original pads)

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #4,409 of 7,704
Oct 24, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #4,410 of 7,704
All I know is I have the 99 classics with the old pads and my impressions are at a complete 180 from what you’re describing. All that matters though is your opinion. You either like them or not. I just don’t respectfully agree with basically anything you describe in the sound impressions, but again as stated above, I have the old origanal pads :ksc75smile: I definitely agree you need to get some headtime while letting them burn in a while.
Cheers!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back