Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Oct 24, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #4,411 of 7,704
If "burning in" the headphones doesn't do some magic to the sound, then I'll most certainly be returning them for the Bowers and Wilkins.
I've tried different types of headphones and different brands. I have Sennheiser HD 6XX, ATH-M50x too. Meze is by far the best of them all taken together IMO. Could be because I am a 90% basshead.

Oct 24, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #4,412 of 7,704
I've tried different types of headphones and different brands. I have Sennheiser HD 6XX, ATH-M50x too. Meze is by far the best of them all taken together IMO. Could be because I am a 90% basshead.

The M50x were really disappointing to me, but they did have an element of bass impact and slam that Meze doesn't have imo...

Oct 24, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #4,414 of 7,704
For my lesser bass sessions I default to HD700 and my Grado headphones

I have the gold Grado SR325i on my head right now... such a lovely sound... I take it the Meze 99Classics are nearly opposite in sound signature, makes me wonder if I'd like them....

Oct 24, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #4,415 of 7,704
I have the gold Grado SR325i on my head right now... such a lovely sound... I take it the Meze 99Classics are nearly opposite in sound signature, makes me wonder if I'd like them....

You should go to a CanJam sometime.

Oct 24, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #4,417 of 7,704
The 99c is still a basshead headphone though. If I could only tame the bass impact slightly it would be a wet dream for me - the ideal sound signature!

The 99 Classics have unfortunately been turned into bass-head cans thanks to the larger pads. The problem isn't so much the increase in bass, it's the voluminous effect of the bass! If it was harder hitting impact or greater rumble, that wouldn't be so bad. However due to the greater volume of air inside the pads, the bass tends to want to fill that space as opposed to remaining focused. I suppose you could say the bass is literally overwhelming, with it's presence being felt all the way up into the treble. It is almost like there is an added subwoofer as this added bass presence seems to be detached from the sound, hence why I always denied the fact that the larger pad's bass bleeds into the rest of the upper frequency; It does not, it is simply overwhelming (I hope you folks get what I am getting at... )

You know what? I bet people with larger ears wouldn't hear the the added bass quite as much. Logically thinking, the more space your ears take up inside the pads, the less air there will be for the bass to resonate.

You wanna know what else? Wearing glasses (or a cap) will essentially bring the bass back down to original pad levels, and give the treble a touch more air. In other words, crack the seal! I am dead serious! I came to the realization last night that I really didn't feel there was much of a change between the two pads (from memory after the original's broke on me) because the larger ones allow me to wear my glasses without pain! The seal was cracked! That's why I didn't mind the larger pads for so long. Sometimes I have a lot of blonde moments. I try to limit them to 1 a day, but sometimes one goes on for months... :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #4,418 of 7,704
Oct 24, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #4,420 of 7,704
It's unfortunate because most people who lauded the original classics feel that they aren't the same. People like me who are expecting to get the original Classics sound from user reviews and Meze's own freq response charts are being deluded.

Exactly! :metal::sunglasses:

Oct 24, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #4,421 of 7,704
The 99 Classics have unfortunately been turned into bass-head cans thanks to the larger pads. The problem isn't so much the increase in bass, it's the voluminous effect of the bass! If it was harder hitting impact or greater rumble, that wouldn't be so bad. However due to the greater volume of air inside the pads, the bass tends to want to fill that space as opposed to remaining focused. I suppose you could say the bass is literally overwhelming, with it's presence being felt all the way up into the treble. It is almost like there is an added subwoofer as this added bass presence seems to be detached from the sound, hence why I always denied the fact that the larger pad's bass bleeds into the rest of the upper frequency; It does not, it is simply overwhelming (I hope you folks get what I am getting at... )

I absolutely agree. I kinda said this in my first impressions review of the 99Cs in this thread. I like enhanced bass, but here it is too sloppy and boomy. The fact that it is this boomy without bleeding into the mids draws even more attention to it. The bass is lacking tightness and impact, compare to m50x and anyone should see what I mean.

Oct 24, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #4,422 of 7,704
I absolutely agree. I kinda said this in my first impressions review of the 99Cs in this thread. I like enhanced bass, but here it is too sloppy and boomy. The fact that it is this boomy without bleeding into the mids draws even more attention to it. The bass is lacking tightness and impact, compare to m50x and anyone should see what I mean.

Just to clear up, I'm not even an M50x fan. The Audio Technica's don't have enough bass, but the bass has control and slam. I returned my M50x's because they were lacking bass quantity, the 99s on the other hand are lacking bass quality.

Oct 24, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #4,423 of 7,704
Guys, I have the impression as if we are talking about different brand head phones.
Are you talking about the ones produced 2 or 3 years ago or just recent ones?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back