Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Oct 24, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #4,426 of 7,691
:deadhorse:
It’s not the headphones. It’s not the tuning. It’s the pads. Nothing more, nothing less. Why would Meze for the life of them retune a headphone over $20 pads? Never would do it and would be a horrible business decision. Yeah maybe they shouldn’t have changed them and didn’t listened to the few complainers but it is what it is. If anyone doesn’t like the pads, buy others!! If you don’t want to, move on to something else that suites your tastes.

There’s been many recommendations throughout this thread where you can purchase pads that get you very close to the origanal pads. In the grand scheme of things, these are relatively decently priced midfi cans that MANY people like and love. The extra cost of aftermarket pads still make this a good priced headphone.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #4,427 of 7,691
It’s not the headphones. It’s not the tuning. It’s the pads. Nothing more, nothing less. Why would Meze for the life of them retune a headphone over $20 pads? Never would do it and would be a horrible business decision. Yeah maybe they shouldn’t have changed them and didn’t listened to the few complainers but it is what it is. If anyone doesn’t like the pads, buy others!! If you don’t want to, move on to something else that suites your tastes.

There’s been many recommendations throughout this thread where you can purchase pads that get you very close to the origanal pads. In the grand scheme of things, these are relatively decently priced midfi cans that MANY people like and love. The extra cost of aftermarket pads still make this a good priced headphone.
So for someone who doesn't have time to read 296 pages which pads have been recommended other than Brainwavz? Thx

Oct 24, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #4,428 of 7,691
The search button is your friend.
I don’t know specifics other then I’ve read numerous suggestions. No reason for me to have a vested interest in them as I’m very happy with mine. I have the origanal pads.
Seriously, just do a search for pads
In this thread.
Also, (not speaking to anyone specific but just generally) DO read througj the thread or use the search function. It’ll save you time. Doing a bit of research without hearing them, would warrant some legwork IMO.
I won’t drop hundreds blindly on something without reading a dedicated thread on Headfi if im a member.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #4,429 of 7,691
9184281.jpg

Smooth inner pad on left is the original, wrinkly inner pad on right is the new large standard.

Oct 24, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #4,430 of 7,691
Oct 24, 2018 at 10:36 PM Post #4,433 of 7,691

Ok we get it your a Meze fanboy, but for someone like me and many other people who haven't experienced them in their original pads wouldn't know how much of a difference the pads make...

Also, I think if Meze was going to change the pads on the Classics and not even retune them then that's a terrible business decision! Either include both pads in the packaging (it wouldn't kill them to) or retune the headphones if you've made a permanent change to their earpads. I can say it definitely might result in a return from me.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #4,434 of 7,691
It also looks like there is some stitching on the pad, opposite side of the ear, on the originals and not the new pads. Is that correct?

The stitching is actually down the middle in the inside as well, but yes the originals have more visible stitching whereas the new one's stitching is more seamless.

Oct 24, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #4,435 of 7,691
Ok we get it your a Meze fanboy, but for someone like me and many other people who haven't experienced them in their original pads wouldn't know how much of a difference the pads make...

Also, I think if Meze was going to change the pads on the Classics and not even retune them then that's a terrible business decision! Either include both pads in the packaging (it wouldn't kill them to) or retune the headphones if you've made a permanent change to their earpads. I can say it definitely might result in a refund from me.
Whatever dude, You know me. these don’t come close to what other headphones I own but YES, I like them. Well I guess you’re right if you’re “fan” of their sound signature at the price and quality they put out. I just feel if you don’t like them, then I agree with you, ask for a refund. And NO company is going to retune a headphone whit many liking the sound of the new pads. It’s just reverting back again with complaints on the new pads when a few were crying they didn’t like the old pads.
A great plan would have been to include 2 pads, but they didn’t.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #4,437 of 7,691
I'm really confused, where are the "many" people who like the sound of the new pads?

I have the Neo not the Classic but Neo has the newer larger pads because the headphone itself is also newer. I love the sound. You can see from my list that I have many choices but the Neo will always stay with me. Of course most of the others will as well... lol.... hoarder....?

Oct 25, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #4,438 of 7,691
Guys I have asked that before but I did not get any answer from people that had experience with both pads. Are these two pads from the same generation?
IMG_20180619_152736362_HDR.jpg

They have wrigles inside they are not first gen then but are they close to the first gen pads?

Obviously there is a difference with my original neo pads and this is the reason I bought them as a replacement since I do not like the foam density on my neos original pads .
IMG_20180619_152358050.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #4,439 of 7,691
Do you guys think the Meze 7N copper balanced cables ($150) are worth the extra cost over the basic balanced ($100)? I'm hesitant to spend too much on cables but the 7N ones seem much more premium. This will be my first set of balanced cables. I realize most of the change in sound quality will be from utilizing the balanced output on my DAP rather than the cable itself.

Oct 28, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #4,440 of 7,691
I am thinking about balanced connection for my Meze as well. I guess it is always good to look for Chinese diy cables. I bought great one for etymotic for around 50-60 bucks which is very good, and it was combination of copper and silver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back