Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Oct 7, 2018 at 6:07 AM Post #4,336 of 7,684
So you're basically saying that the classics have gone to **** now?
Not gone to****! But extra bass-y!
I like V-shaped sounds apparently because I don't care any for some of the highest rated headphones.
Current Meze 99 line of headphones does not have a V-shaped signature. It's more like a slope.
If you want a V-shaped headphones wired or wireless, there are many, including V-moda, Sony, etc.
If you want lots of quality bass, nice mids and recessed highs, go with Meze 99.
Is the only difference on the new pads the bass?
Yes.

Again, I am just trying to help. You asked the question.
You can buy whatever you want.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2018 at 6:29 AM Post #4,337 of 7,684
I have both the neo and the classics with the new version pads although different between them and I expressed my opinion in the past regarding the sound quality in this thread and I do not want to repeat it again here.

If someone can not audition them properly can also listen the zeos sound demos to see if there are of any help with his choice. Although not ideal comparison better than nothing, I believe.

It seemed that the Neo is doing an extremely good combination with xDSD and for me even driven from a phone is vastly superior to B&W PX sound quality wise.

I have some new meze pads seems close to the original ones that I will try on my neo at some point to see if there is a difference in sound quality.

I have listen to the above YouTube review one day after I ordered my classics and before receiving them and I was depressed. However, both 99 proved it wrong sound magnificently with classical music. I really do not understand why as he claims the too much bass influence the classical music or why this phone is not good for classical music. The opposite is true. Yes, I can understand his critique for some house bass heavy tracks but not so much with classical.

Oct 7, 2018 at 7:56 AM Post #4,338 of 7,684
Have you tried B&W P7 Wireless? I'm vacillating between getting them or the 99 Classics. V-shaped sound is neutral to me so.

Yes, I've auditioned the P7 wireless and I like the sound signature though I found the design to be uncomfortable. I would say the 99 Classics have a similar sound...just MORE of it. In my case, the Meze's bass was a bit much at first but over time it fell right into place and now it's settled nicely. I've said before the Meze's are like wearing stand-up speakers on your head (though very comfortable).

I definitely recommend giving them a try. If you do, give them several days before you decide.

Oct 7, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #4,339 of 7,684
I own both the 99 classics and the B&W P7 wireless. For me it’s a no brainer, the meze’s are by far the more enjoyable listen. The P7 are a great sounding set of headphones but are very clampy, very bassy. The meze’s are wonderfully musical, imho great bass and sub bass, mids are wonderful as is the treble. I love them. They do take sometime to burn in though.

Thanks for the reply! I have the p7 wired and I like them quite a bit but most people say meze is better. Was wondering which to upgrade to. Ill try Meze next

Oct 7, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #4,341 of 7,684
Hey all,

Hows the fit of the brainwavz hm5 sheepskin pads on the 99c?
Perfect. It was what I run and have been recommending for a long while.

Oct 8, 2018 at 1:11 AM Post #4,343 of 7,684
Oct 8, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #4,345 of 7,684
Rafaelo or someone else,
I am finally buying a decent headphone and it looks like the Meze 99 is a good choice. I listen to all sorts of music (the most to ambient, radiohead, classical and techno also metal). For the moment I have a very cheap headphone of a few euro's. But I don't know which one to choose.
The Neo or the Classics. The price for the Neo is 195 euro on amazon.de and the cheapest I can find the classics also on amazon.de is 275 euro.
What is the difference of the two? Is it only the esthetic? Or is there a difference in sound. And is the difference worth it.
I haven't got the possibility to listen to it. So I hope you guys can help here.
Or what is your reason to choose one over the other?
Thanks

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #4,346 of 7,684
Rafaelo or someone else,
I am finally buying a decent headphone and it looks like the Meze 99 is a good choice. I listen to all sorts of music (the most to ambient, radiohead, classical and techno also metal). For the moment I have a very cheap headphone of a few euro's. But I don't know which one to choose.
The Neo or the Classics. The price for the Neo is 195 euro on amazon.de and the cheapest I can find the classics also on amazon.de is 275 euro.
What is the difference of the two? Is it only the esthetic? Or is there a difference in sound. And is the difference worth it.
I haven't got the possibility to listen to it. So I hope you guys can help here.
Or what is your reason to choose one over the other?
Thanks
This is obviously my personal opinion but
I would definitely choose now the Meze 99 noir. Actually, if I could exchange it with my neo I would have done it without second thought.

For me the most beautiful 99 is the noir by far and if it sounds identical to classics then I am veey happy.
I can refer also to pinky powers reviews, as I have done in the past, that I found them very similar to my observations. I also believe like him that for some whatever reason there is some additional clarity with the classics, is like a category above.

The noir seems to give the price of the neo with the sound signature of classics in an astonishing beautiful new package that is also more discrete. I cannot stop looking the massdrop pictures but I have two 99 I cannot afford another one.

Having said that if someone has some ocd like me will use the neo more as it is far more scratch resistant than the classics. For that reason alone, even me, I have used the neo far more than the classics, usually in bed before sleep. Also, the Neo is far more comfortable than the classics due to the different pads I think.

But lately as my daughter sleeps in the other room I listen a lot with my open headphones but a comparison will be completely unfair here i.e. open Vs closed. But when I listen he4xx (which is a wonderful sound quality wise headphone for me) before sleeping I get relaxed and ready to fall asleep. When I am listening to Neo I want to get up and dance or go to the disco. This is the champion of having fan with music.

For more info I can also refer to my xDSD review where I discuss the synergy with meze in general. As xDSD is coming in this week I will explore further.

If cannot/want to buy noir the prices of classics flactuate in the past at some point I observed 230£ price for classics. Also, you need to factor in the cost of the 3m original cable (20€ + 20€ shipping) in the price of Neo (not included in massdrop as well but included with classics). I needed this cable and I bought an extra one for my neo.

Good luck with your choice!

Oct 8, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #4,347 of 7,684
Simply, I owned the Neo at one point. Then the Classics. Didn't own at same time. On that note, what I remember and others have also said, the mids on the Neo are a little better. Certain resonances due to the cups being plastic vs wood

Oct 8, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #4,348 of 7,684
Simply, I owned the Neo at one point. Then the Classics. Didn't own at same time. On that note, what I remember and others have also said, the mids on the Neo are a little better. Certain resonances due to the cups being plastic vs wood

This is probably why I prefer (and own) the Neo. Plus I love the black/silver. look.

Oct 8, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #4,349 of 7,684
First thanks for the responses.
I am a little confused.So you all are saying that the Neo is better sound quality wise and is more comfortable?
So am I correct in saying that the Classics has no benefits over (besides an extra long cable) the Neo?
Sadly I cannot buy the Classic Noir because I live in Belgium and I think the price+the shipping + the customs would push it far beyond the 270€ price of the Classics.

Oct 8, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #4,350 of 7,684
I actually liked the sound signature of the Neo (seemed bassier) and comfort better (less clamp) when I tested them...might need to try both again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back