Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Aug 28, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #4,306 of 7,704
And they scale just as good, all around 'phone.

It's just a pity that the classic doesn't come in black. Would like one for portable use.

I really love my Neo which is black:) I even prefer its sound slightly over the Classic ... I have heard the Classic as my husband owns one.

Aug 28, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #4,308 of 7,704
Ha, my wife owns the classics, all that's left is to buy myself a neo :)

Why do you prefer the neo over classics, if we put aside the color?

My Neo has a little less clamp than his Classic. That may not be a general rule though...maybe just lucky for me as I hate clamp.

As for sound it has been over a year since I heard the Classics. It was just a general feeling at the time. They are comfortable and my music sounds great so I am happy. I really have no need to overthink it.

Just get it. You know you want to:)

Sep 4, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #4,311 of 7,704
Right!!! So now it’s time to treat your self. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

tenor.gif

I'm looking to buy a new desk first since I'm slowly running out of space.... any recommendations ?
:sunglasses:

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #4,314 of 7,704
Hello everybody.
Is it worth changing the earpads for the subj?
If so where can buy those pads? I'd like to have slightly more bass.

Sep 25, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #4,316 of 7,704
My Neo has a little less clamp than his Classic. That may not be a general rule though...maybe just lucky for me as I hate clamp.

As for sound it has been over a year since I heard the Classics. It was just a general feeling at the time. They are comfortable and my music sounds great so I am happy. I really have no need to overthink it.

Just get it. You know you want to:)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. I also liked the Neo better (aside from the sound) because it felt more comfortable due to less clamp.

Oct 2, 2018 at 7:23 AM Post #4,317 of 7,704
Folks, we're running a fun new competition on our Facebook page for all of you who have and enjoy our headphones/earphones.
All you have to do is post a photo of your Meze setup in the comments and you're eligible for winning a 99 series 2.5 balanced cable!

If you're more into Instagram, post your photo using #mezesetup hashtag and tagging @mezeaudio and you're in!

Wish you all good luck and happy sounds!

Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com
Oct 2, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #4,318 of 7,704
Folks, we're running a fun new competition on our Facebook page for all of you who have and enjoy our headphones/earphones.
All you have to do is post a photo of your Meze setup in the comments and you're eligible for winning a 99 series 2.5 balanced cable!

If you're more into Instagram, post your photo using #mezesetup hashtag and tagging @mezeaudio and you're in!

Wish you all good luck and happy sounds!

Nice move Meze!

But Please make a balanced cable for my Sony NW-ZX300 (and of course the NW-WM1A and NW-WM1Z) with a 4.4mm termination.
Please...

Shane Delaney

Oct 4, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #4,319 of 7,704
Hello everyone and I'm glad I was able to find this thread. I'm in the market for a nice closed back pair of headphones and I was recommended the Meze 99 Classics based on my preferences. I wanted to run it by you all as well to see what you thought and to see if these are really the correct fit for me.

I recently had both the Sennheiser HD6XX's from Massdrop and the HiFiMan HE-400i's, both of which are open back as I'm sure you already know. But I need to be able to block out more of the outside noise, but I don't want to feel suffocated in these new closed backs (if that makes sense). I'm hoping you might be able to lead me in the correct direction in finding a pair that is more neutral, a bit airy if need be to make them feel more open, and hopefully is within the $500 range. Comfort is probably the #1 factor for me, even if it requires swapping pads, I don't mind doing do if the headphones will be worth it. Thanks! I guess I should mention that I enjoyed the HiFiMan's over the Sennheiser due to them being a bit more fun and warm. I felt like I could listen to music longer through them than in the Sennheisers because they were so much more detailed. They will mainly be used for playing games as well but that's not the top factor I'm looking at for these, just a side note.

-----

Below is the response I received from a reviewer on another forums:
Hm... I know quite a few closed-back headphones out there, but I am not sure what to recommend when it comes to something that is both comfortable and warm, that won't make you feel suffocated. You're most probably talking about the soundstage, which can be downright small on some headphones.

But the Meze 99 Classics. Those will be warm and buttery, maybe a bit too much. They are very comfortable, they isolate ok, and they are nice for long hours of usage. If you aren't afraid of doing some EQ, you can't really get a better pair at 300 USD
I think they are stellar for Punk, Rock and Metal, if you do the EQ
About the upper bass / lower midrange bump, I love some more in that area, but they have a bit more than I generally prefer, basically, they sound great, but a bit too warm.
On the stock setting, the bass is slightly enhanced, or rather the 250 – 500 Hz area is enhanced due to the wood in the cups. Wood is known for its acoustic properties and for offering this kind of resonance. After hearing 99 Neo which have their cups made of plastic and them not presenting the same bump in this area, but having the same drivers, it is easy to point the small bump in bass to the wood construction.
This bump in bass gives the headphones an euphoric and sweet presentation, the drums in rock songs sound crisp and the snare drum has a very good presence. Regardless of the Equalization applied, the bass is generally well rounded and it is a delight to listen to. Although the bass is enhanced sometimes, it does not take over the mids and the presentation is well balanced.
By the way, they sound awesome from a smartphone / laptop, but they also scale pretty well with the source, if you have something better as a source, they will sound better than from a lower quality source
Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #4,320 of 7,704
99C with Brainwavz Sheepskin Ovals. It's not neutral but it's balanced. Never feels suffocating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back