Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Oct 8, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #4,352 of 7,704
First thanks for the responses.
I am a little confused.So you all are saying that the Neo is better sound quality wise and is more comfortable?
So am I correct in saying that the Classics has no benefits over (besides an extra long cable) the Neo?
Sadly I cannot buy the Classic Noir because I live in Belgium and I think the price+the shipping + the customs would push it far beyond the 270€ price of the Classics.

As someone who had both the Neo and Classics in my possession at the same time, with me having 2 pairs of the 99s (one I won, the other coincidental review pair), I can safely say that the clamping force will be almost identical between the 2 sets of cans. They both use the same ear pads, headband, and pad. There might be slight variations in each unique pair due to manufacturing, but there is no logical reason one would have less than the other.

As for the sound, the differences are subtle and have already been stated. Both carry the same sound signature with the same drivers and cup dimensions, the only difference in sound are the characteristics of wood vs plastic. The wood adds a unique distortion characteristic to the FR response, some may like it a lot (like myself) while some would prefer a more universally accepted sound.

All in all, it really comes down to your budget. If you can afford the Classics, I HIGHLY recommend going with them. If you can only afford the Neo, I guarantee you will be happy with the sound.

:metal::sunglasses:

Oct 8, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #4,353 of 7,704
But I thought that the classics already had way to much bass to some.
And doesn't the clamp of the Classics keep away the outside noises better?

It should but discomfort makes music unenjoyable no matter how good the SQ is =P

I have a rather big head so clamp is a big deal for me.

Best is to demo I think...but from memory I just recall the Neo being smoother and darker and the Classics being more detailed with more treble.

Oct 8, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #4,354 of 7,704
As someone who had both the Neo and Classics in my possession at the same time, with me having 2 pairs of the 99s (one I won, the other coincidental review pair), I can safely say that the clamping force will be almost identical between the 2 sets of cans. They both use the same ear pads, headband, and pad. There might be slight variations in each unique pair due to manufacturing, but there is no logical reason one would have less than the other.

As for the sound, the differences are subtle and have already been stated. Both carry the same sound signature with the same drivers and cup dimensions, the only difference in sound are the characteristics of wood vs plastic. The wood adds a unique distortion characteristic to the FR response, some may like it a lot (like myself) while some would prefer a more universally accepted sound.

All in all, it really comes down to your budget. If you can afford the Classics, I HIGHLY recommend going with them. If you can only afford the Neo, I guarantee you will be happy with the sound.

:metal::sunglasses:
Great post thx for the info. Decision time is coming.

Oct 9, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #4,356 of 7,704
I can almost guarantee it will sound like the 99C of today. The only change made to the 99C was the pads, which they no longer make.

Oct 9, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #4,357 of 7,704
I have read the review (2017) on Innerfidelity and they are very disappointed with the new pads.
Is this still a problem or did they got bad pads? Because all the glowing reviews were when they had the old pads.Innerfidelity even find the ATH-M50x better. This would be more then 100€ cheaper. I really don't know if I should have posted it in the recommendation forum or here. But I guess the guys on this thread would give me a better answer.
Do you guys find you had good value for money with the classics with the new pads?

Oct 9, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #4,358 of 7,704
I have one thing to say about the old (first) pads on the 99 C. They really hurt me after 20 minutes when I tried them causing me to be unable to enjoy my music.

I love the sound of my Neo which of course have the new pads and am able to be comfortable as well. Last year I proved it by wearing them for 12 continuous hours. It was a fun test :)

People seem to have forgotten that when the Meze Classic first was released so many users complained that the pads were too small and uncomfortable.

Oct 9, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #4,359 of 7,704
I have one thing to say about the old (first) pads on the 99 C. They really hurt me after 20 minutes when I tried them causing me to be unable to enjoy my music.

I love the sound of my Neo which of course have the new pads and am able to be comfortable as well. Last year I proved it by wearing them for 12 continuous hours. It was a fun test :)

People seem to have forgotten that when the Meze Classic first was released so many users complained that the pads were too small and uncomfortable.
But did they change the sound signature to the worse?
Mind you I never have played with new pads etc... The most expensive and best headphone I have had was the aiaiai capital..

Oct 9, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #4,360 of 7,704
I believe I read somewhere that the current iteration of pads is the third, and was introduced with the Neo for both Neo and and Classic. I had the Neo for a while but didn't like the bass - IIRC I thought drums sounded off, as if the drumhead needed more tension. Anyway, the Noir looks amazing and I'm tempted to try the Meze 99 again.

Oct 9, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #4,361 of 7,704

Absolutely not!
While I fully agreed with Tyl's assessment of the larger pads at first, I ate crow and took back my words. You see, the pads NEED break-in! When I first got my Classics (like one of the first production pairs) I thought that the FR graph on the box was misleading as the bass was far above what they showed. However, after a couple of weeks everything fell into place. When I got the Neo for review I had forgotten my words regarding pad break-in, and really did not like the added bass. Then, after a week the pads softened up and once again, the sound signature fell back in line with the original pads. I will admit, the larger pads still do add extra bass, but it's not that much over the originals and in no way makes the sound sig worse.

A good sign that the Meze pads are broken in is the crinkle sound coming from the foam; It's the cell structure of the memory foam loosening up. New pads are stiff and make a crinkly sound when depressed. Broken in pads make no sound.

I hope this helps.

Oct 9, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #4,362 of 7,704
I didn't notice much of a change in sound at all going from the smaller original pads to the bigger second generation ones. The 99 Classics still sound awesome

Oct 9, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #4,364 of 7,704
Mind you I never have played with new pads etc... The most expensive and best headphone I have had was the aiaiai capital..

Those 99 CLassics that were uncomfortable to me with the old pads belong to my husband @HungryPanda . He was sent the larger pads when they became availablle I never heard him complain about the sound. Like I said before, I personally prefer the looks of the Neo and I am extremely happy with the sound. I feel there is no need to keep obsessing over the pads.

Oct 9, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #4,365 of 7,704
I didn't notice much of a change in sound at all going from the smaller original pads to the bigger second generation ones. The 99 Classics still sound awesome
I feel the same way. I didn’t really notice much if any difference. It doesn’t matter what pads you slap on the 99’s as they sound great no matter what.
I just hope these new pads last longer then the original ones as those things went to hell so fast as it was a MAJOR disappointment. The new pads aren’t that much money but money I really didn’t want to spend with usuage less then a year. I didn’t expect to buy new pads so quickly. I actually like the old pads comfort more which is a complete 180 from just about what everyone else says.
So far, that’s the only negative I have with these HP’s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back