Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Jun 20, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #4,186 of 7,708
I've got the non-angled, haven't tried the angled to be able to compare, but they work good for me. I ordered them at the same time as ordering the 99 classics, so already had them at hand when I first opened the Meze's. I found the stock pads too shallow and switched to the Brainwave pads immediately.

I was looking at the Brainwave site trying to understand what the difference/reason for going angled or non-angled was and I think it is more to do with your head shape than the headphones, as in the angled might sit differently against the curve of your skull to the back of the ear? I wasn't entirely sure so went with non-angled as the stock pads looked an even thickness around the edges.

If you have a headphone with a straight driver and use an angled pad then I believe you may get a different sound as its entering your ear canal from a angle. Esp if you have a headphone with an angled driver and throw in on angled pads, too much angle could be bad or it could turn out very good. I've had angled pads in the past and never cared for them. I guess its all about trial and error. All I know is that I love the Sheepskin Brainwavz pads on my 99C

So non-angled is the way to go then?
Thanks for the help

Jun 21, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #4,188 of 7,708
I had got the dekoni pads to try with these and initially didn't like the change in sound (bass and sub bass disappeared, top end improved a little) bringing the stock pads back on. I tried to break in the dekoni pads by compressing it for about 2 weeks between books and other similarly weighing objects. I put them on this morning and listening to some Space, ambient music i must observe that the sub bass has tightened and the lack of a mid bass hump accentuates the sub bass and the trebles a bit.

I think ill try them out for a few days more before making a call which put keep on.
wow talk about break in! Do you feel like your ear is farther away from the driver and that could be the difference between the pads?
I would recommend xDSD for those without any hesitation. Since they are easily driven xDSD is more than enough.

In addition, these are very light comfortable headphones so xDSD is also a very good match because you can have it in your pocket and move around with them very easily. In contrast, I find 4XX a bit heavy to move my head a lot so not very convenient for portable use and in this case maybe is more suitable to have a proper desktop amp.

For more information, you could check my xDSD review in the related head fi reviews section.
Interesting observation. When it comes to mobility I usually just think of what the headphone will be like if I have to carry it around my neck. I don't think of clamping force and how well it will stay on my head in general. Makes sense! Glad you're enjoying the xDSD with the Meze99!

Jun 21, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #4,189 of 7,708
wow talk about break in! Do you feel like your ear is farther away from the driver and that could be the difference between the pads?
Its more to do with the foam in the pads breaking in than anything as i have noticed in this case for me.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #4,194 of 7,708
Just A/B 'd stock SE cable with a balanced 2.5mm cable i got from ebay. I certainly feel the bass has tightened a bit and to me the mids are more forward compared to the stock. Was listening to Pink Floyd - When the Tigers Broke Free. I felt a general sense of better detail retrieval. Used out of the Micro iDSD BL and Sony zx300.

EDIT: Forgot to mention this album

A little tired of tryng to find the pieces to build cables, I ordered this (or a very similar one) from Amazon. Can't wait to try it with my Fiio Q1 Mk2, maybe. I'm not a fan of super-expensive cables.

Jun 27, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #4,195 of 7,708
How do this compare to AKG K712 in terms of SQ, detail retrieval and sound signature? Thx in advance.

Jun 27, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #4,196 of 7,708
A little tired of tryng to find the pieces to build cables, I ordered this (or a very similar one) from Amazon. Can't wait to try it with my Fiio Q1 Mk2, maybe. I'm not a fan of super-expensive cables.
I hope you wont be disappointed.

Jun 28, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #4,200 of 7,708
PLS engage 3D soundstage thingy, it will blow your mind ! :)
You know what, after a while of listening I remembered “oh, I can switch that and bass boost!” I put it on and not too long after Mark (owner of MTME) needed to bs with me. I didn’t get to listen after that! :/. Always next week when I come in.

I am a fan of of the 3D btw. I put that and bass boost on when I listen to the Black Label/Mr Speakers Ether Closed combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back