Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Jun 19, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #4,171 of 7,695
IMG_20180619_152736362_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180619_152358050.jpg

I received my new Meze pads today and seem probably the same with the ones on my classics but rather different with the ones in my Neo. Seems rather small to me so maybe close to the original first version...(???)

I will try to put them in my Neo at some point but I am not certain whether I have this ability...

Jun 19, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #4,172 of 7,695
Awesome! Did they ask for proof of purchase? I don't own the headphones but wouldn't mind trying the pads.

Yes I purchased the Classics around May of 2017. My understanding is that there are anywhere from 2-4 different variations of pads including the Neos (not sure if Meze ever clarified this, I have dropped off following this thread long ago). The pads that came with the Classics were the smalls (I got the white/silver edition). I spoke with Meze support and they shipped me the larger pads free of charge. The updated pads didn't really help much and I still found them to be much too small. So to answer your question, unless they have released a newer, larger pad since ~ August 2017 then yes I have tried the latest version but it didn't help much.

:)

I'm not 100% sure if I had the second or third pads shipped to me by Meze. Please see my above response. Regardless, all Meze pads that I tried were painful for me in long listening sessions. All sizes were comfortable at first, but if I kept them on for more than an hour or two it began to dig into the side of my head.
I just contacted Parts Canada Lenbrook (Where you can get PSB Pads from directly), and it costed me $15 for shipping to Canada, and he Pads itself were free, since I actually have a pair of PSB M4U1's with warranty. Without warranty, it would have costed around $45 with shipping.

Jun 19, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #4,173 of 7,695
I am in the market for a set of the 99 Classics. My question is, what amp if any are you driving these with? Does a tube amp warm these up or is it overkill? A solid state does not sound like the direction I want to go. Mind you I have neither amps right now. I am basing this off everything I have read over the past month or so about amps. I am also looking to add a DAC with DSD or High Res. I have read about the last 30 pages of this thread and did not read much about an amp or a DAC with or without DSD, High Res used. I'm interested and curious and new to the game. Any help would be great, thanks.

Be careful pairing these with tubes. The low impedance and high sensitivity of my 99 Classics reveal a hum from my Consonance Cyber 20B that I don't hear on any of my higher impedance headphones.

Jun 19, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #4,175 of 7,695
Would it be safe to say to go solid state per your reply?

I can't speak for all tube amps. I have only listened to the 99 Classics with one tube amp, the Cyber 20B. It is an el84, SET configured tube amp. A hybrid amp (tube input, ss output) might work? I'm sure others here could speak to this.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #4,177 of 7,695

I received my new Meze pads today and seem probably the same with the ones on my classics but rather different with the ones in my Neo. Seems rather small to me so maybe close to the original first version...(???)

I will try to put them in my Neo at some point but I am not certain whether I have this ability...

What what what?! Those look like the original pads! Are they smooth in the inner ring, or wrinkly?

:flushed:

Jun 20, 2018 at 2:17 AM Post #4,179 of 7,695
Thinking about picking up the brainwavz pads.

But I see that there are two versions: the angled and the non-angled. Which ones work better with the Mezes?
I've got the non-angled, haven't tried the angled to be able to compare, but they work good for me. I ordered them at the same time as ordering the 99 classics, so already had them at hand when I first opened the Meze's. I found the stock pads too shallow and switched to the Brainwave pads immediately.

I was looking at the Brainwave site trying to understand what the difference/reason for going angled or non-angled was and I think it is more to do with your head shape than the headphones, as in the angled might sit differently against the curve of your skull to the back of the ear? I wasn't entirely sure so went with non-angled as the stock pads looked an even thickness around the edges.

Jun 20, 2018 at 5:44 AM Post #4,180 of 7,695
IMG_20180620_104829709.jpg
IMG_20180620_104740384_HDR.jpg
What what what?! Those look like the original pads! Are they smooth in the inner ring, or wrinkly?

:flushed:
Wrinkly. The pictures exaggerate the smallness of the size a bit. But in comparison to Neo there is definitely a difference.

Even if it is not the first generation I am very happy if it is close to the first generation.

IMG_20180620_103833032_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #4,181 of 7,695
I've got the non-angled, haven't tried the angled to be able to compare, but they work good for me. I ordered them at the same time as ordering the 99 classics, so already had them at hand when I first opened the Meze's. I found the stock pads too shallow and switched to the Brainwave pads immediately.

I was looking at the Brainwave site trying to understand what the difference/reason for going angled or non-angled was and I think it is more to do with your head shape than the headphones, as in the angled might sit differently against the curve of your skull to the back of the ear? I wasn't entirely sure so went with non-angled as the stock pads looked an even thickness around the edges.
If you have a headphone with a straight driver and use an angled pad then I believe you may get a different sound as its entering your ear canal from a angle. Esp if you have a headphone with an angled driver and throw in on angled pads, too much angle could be bad or it could turn out very good. I've had angled pads in the past and never cared for them. I guess its all about trial and error. All I know is that I love the Sheepskin Brainwavz pads on my 99C

Jun 20, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #4,182 of 7,695
I get a creaking sound on mine when I turn my head, a bit annoying when I’m wearing them walking to work and back. I’m guessing the join between the wooden cup and steel overhead band is the source, and wonder about putting some CRC (WD40 in the states) into the join.

Anyone had this same problem? Any solutions that worked?

Thanks

Jun 20, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #4,183 of 7,695
I get a creaking sound on mine when I turn my head, a bit annoying when I’m wearing them walking to work and back. I’m guessing the join between the wooden cup and steel overhead band is the source, and wonder about putting some CRC (WD40 in the states) into the join.

Thanks

Hi. You are not the only one. If you put on your headphones without any music playing and touch the metal bar on the head top with your nail it will see they are microphonic, and you can hear it through the headphone drivers. Try touching the cable ( not the kevlar part of it ) or the mic as well you will see the same results. What I found about these headphones is that they are not that great for on the go listening mainly because you lose a lot of sound quality if there is noise around you and the wind will vibrate the metal band quite a bit to intrude my listening. However for home use these really shine.

Jun 20, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #4,184 of 7,695

Thanks
I don't have the classic. My thoughts when I read your suggestion was wax Use min-wax or another kind of wood wax first. I would shy away from WD-40 until a last resort

Jun 20, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #4,185 of 7,695
I don't have the classic. My thoughts when I read your suggestion was wax Use min-wax or another kind of wood wax first. I would shy away from WD-40 until a last resort
Thanks for the suggestions. I might try and take the join apart and put in some foam or wax between the wooden cup and steel and put it back together. Will post whether it works or not :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back