Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
May 8, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #3,946 of 7,712
I still have the original pads up for grabs as I prefer the Sheepskin Brainwavz

What are you selling them for, I might be interested. And how did the Brainwavz work out for you? Was it a fit, or sound change you were looking for?

Last edited:
May 8, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #3,947 of 7,712
Yeah unfortunately Poland is too far haha.

@dwinnert, mainly for comfort since with original pads made the drivers touch my ears bc they are so shallow and the new pads also help with better isolation. With the Sheepskin I find the bass to be more controlled and less boomy (guessing bc of the increased driver distance so it allows the bass to diffuse a bit more). The mids are still present but just a tad more back in the mix, again due to driver distance I assume. I'm also now running a silver balanced cable from Triton Audio on them so that further increased clarity and imaging.

About $5, just to cover cost of shipping. 48 states only.

I did try some MSR7 pads from eBay, pretty sure they were legit. Didn't care much for the sound, seemed to be the same as stock. Can't remember what I did with them. Either on my dads M50's or his old Koss DJ headphones or if they aren't being used I can even throw those in with the original pads.

Last edited:
May 8, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #3,949 of 7,712

@dwinnert, mainly for comfort since with original pads made the drivers touch my ears bc they are so shallow and the new pads also help with better isolation. With the Sheepskin I find the bass to be more controlled and less boomy (guessing bc of the increased driver distance so it allows the bass to diffuse a bit more). The mids are still present but just a tad more back in the mix, again due to driver distance I assume. I'm also now running a silver balanced cable from Triton Audio on them so that further increased clarity and imaging.

I did try some MSR7 pads from eBay, pretty sure they were legit. Didn't care much for the sound, seemed to be the same as stock. Can't remember what I did with them. Either on my dads M50's or his old Koss DJ headphones or if they aren't being used I can even throw those in with the original pads.
You’re selling the pads for $5? If so,
Consider them sold if someone else didn’t snag them already.

May 8, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #3,950 of 7,712

Just to clarify are these the original smaller pads or the newer larger ones that ship with the latest edition.

May 8, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #3,951 of 7,712
Just to clarify are these the original smaller pads or the newer larger ones that ship with the latest edition.
Original small pads (as far as I can tell based on what people say to look for). Sold already.

20180428_094623.jpg

May 10, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #3,953 of 7,712
I just purchased the Meze 99 Classics...larger pads. Bass was loose and flabby, the mids and treble were fuzzy, but there also was a sharp 4 to 5 kHz spike that took over the sound signature.

I noticed there hasn't been a consensus pad in this thread as a replacement. I have been pad rolling for over 2 weeks now. Over that period, I tried 23 different pads (I'm a bit of an ocd pad collector for purposes such as this). I was becoming highly discouraged while pad rolling... last minute, I tried the Dekoni Elite Sheepskin pads for the ATH-M50x....WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT! I highly recommend those of you who aren't happy with the sound signature with the newer Meze pads to check out the Dekoni Elite Sheepskin pads for the ATH-M50x. I think they sound amazing on the Meze 99 Classics.

Last edited:
May 10, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #3,954 of 7,712
Forgot to mention details of improvements of the pad change. Bass is still thick, but less bloated. Mids appear not be effected except the 4 to 5 kHz spike (rounds off the spike). Treble is clearer, but doesn't increase much, just a tiny bit. Greatest improvement is the timbre and tonality...less stuffy and just sounds more natural. One of the best pad changes I've ever discovered.

In addition to the sonic changes, these pads are so so so very comfortable. The ear opening is slightly wider, or appears to be wider due to the material having more give than the newer/bigger stock Meze pads. They also are a perfect fit on the baffle plate and are much easier to fit on and off.

Last edited:
May 10, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #3,955 of 7,712
I just purchased the Meze 99 Classics...larger pads. Bass was loose and flabby, the mids and treble were fuzzy, but there also was a sharp 4 to 5 kHz spike that took over the sound signature. I have been pad rolling for over 2 weeks now. Over that period, I tried 23 different pads (I'm a bit of an ocd pad collector for purposes such as this). I noticed there hasn't been a consensus pad in this thread as a replacement. I was becoming highly discouraged while pad rolling... last minute, I tried the Dekoni Elite Sheepskin pads for the ATH-M50x....WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT! I highly recommend those of you who aren't happy with the sound signature with the newer Meze pads to check out the Dekoni Elite Sheepskin pads for the ATH-M50x. I think they sound amazing on the Meze 99 Classics.
Congrats on finding a pad that works for you from the millions of pads you own. Lol. No different then I collecting and owning so many tubes. Nothing odd bro. Actually yours might be more practical as with all the tubes I own, i have enough for probably 10-15 of us for the rest of our lives.

On another note, It still continues to amaze me how everyone hears so differently. Granted I own the original pads and I don’t think the bass is fat/slow/flabby/bleeds into the the mids and highs, etc. I think the way Meze tuned these, they’re perfect, especially with the original pads. These newer pads must have really jacked up the sound signature.

Bottom line, we all have a preference and gravitate towards a specific sound may it be neutral, treble heavy, bass heavy, etc. Me? I like musical, fun and bass emphasized. Mind you, it has to be good bass though.
Cheers and again, congrats on your find!

Last edited:
May 10, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #3,956 of 7,712
I whole heartedly agree with you 100%.

Those new pads jacked up the sound. I previewed the Meze 99 Classics at my cousins house, unaware that he had the older/smaller pads. I LOVED that sound signature and was baffled when my cans were delivered and Iistened. It was disturbing. But the pad change sounds like it reverts sound to the stock older/smaller pads, with minor variances.

Tubes are my next vice...I have too little of knowledge to get heavy into it at the moment. I do have a Darkvoice 336 and want to find warmer darker bassier tubes for it. Stock tubes are way too bright for my preferences .

I too prefer a fun sound signature. I only use my DT 880s for video editing. Im a rocker and drummer, so my sound signature preferences make perfect sense in wanting that fun warm sound I crave. Unfortunately, having severe sensitivity to the 4 to 6 kHz frequency range certainly limits the possibilities for me.

Congrats on finding a pad that works for you from the millions of pads you own. Lol. No different then I collecting and owning so many tubes. Nothing odd bro. Actually yours might be more practical as with all the tubes I own, i have enough for probably 10-15 of us for the rest of our lives.

On another note, It still continues to amaze me how everyone hears so differently. Granted I own the original pads and I don’t think the bass is fat/slow/flabby/bleeds into the the mids and highs, etc. I think the way Meze tuned these, they’re perfect, especially with the original pads. These newer pads must have really jacked up the sound signature.

Bottom line, we all have a preference and gravitate towards a specific sound may it be neutral, treble heavy, bass heavy, etc. Me? I like musical, fun and bass emphasized. Mind you, it has to be good bass though.

Last edited:
May 10, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #3,957 of 7,712
Maybe Meze still follows this thread.....so, if they do. How about they offer the original pads as a replacement? Reading reviews there is a definite trend in negative opinions with the new pads that seem to outweigh the negatives about the fit of the smaller pads. I mean, the 99C's sound signature was designed around the original pads and by tossing on larger pads to quiet a few negative complaints was a poor move.

For me, the issue is there with the bass and the new pads, but the 99C actually responds really well to some slight EQ adjustments and kinds makes this a moot point for me...But I prefer not to use EQ and run bitperfect.

May 10, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #3,958 of 7,712
Off topic a bit, but I need to find some warm and bassy tubes for my darkvoice 336. Any recommendations from the tube expert? xD

May 10, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #3,959 of 7,712
Forgot to mention details of improvements of the pad change. Bass is still thick, but less bloated. Mids appear not be effected except the 4 to 5 kHz spike (rounds off the spike). Treble is clearer, but doesn't increase much, just a tiny bit. Greatest improvement is the timbre and tonality...less stuffy and just sounds more natural. One of the best pad changes I've ever discovered.

In addition to the sonic changes, these pads are so so so very comfortable. The ear opening is slightly wider, or appears to be wider due to the material having more give than the newer/bigger stock Meze pads. They also are a perfect fit on the baffle plate and are much easier to fit on and off.

Got some pics with them?

May 10, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #3,960 of 7,712
Picture of Meze 99 Classics with Dekoni Elite Sheepskin ATH-M50X pads.

Meze 99 Classics with Dekoni Elite Sheepskin ATH-M50X pads https://imgur.com/gallery/Q9wi7zA

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back