Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Nov 21, 2017 at 4:19 AM Post #3,436 of 7,697
Hey guys, thinking of buying these as an upgrade from my current cans, either buying on here or amazon, (AKG K545, if you were curious). I've heard differing things between these and the 99 neos, is the difference substantial?

I also see that on Amazon UK the white ones are £80 cheaper, is there a reason for this?

And finally, is there anything I should know going in before buying?

Also, is there anywhere I could listen to these in the UK? Meze appears to have a large presence in Europe and somewhat in the US, but nowhere I can get a demo in the UK (I'm in Leeds, if that matters)

Hi @Brickman100

The Meze 99 Classics Maple Silver was discontinued so they are pretty rare to find :D

The difference between the 99 Neo and the 99 Classics are present yet subtle. The difference is given by the plastic ear cups of the 99 Neo which are thinner and thus their acoustic chamber slightly amplifies the bass.

If you would like to test the headphones in the UK, then you should contact our official UK distributor, SCV Distribution: http://www.scvdistribution.co.uk/

They can point you out to local dealers in the UK.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask us!

Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com
Nov 21, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #3,438 of 7,697
Wow, it seems so odd to be speaking with the actual manufacturer of the product I'm interested in...I should have joined headfi earlier.

Thanks for the advice, I'll be in touch if I have any other questions.
This is how Head-fi and Meze roll :wink:

Nov 21, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #3,439 of 7,697
Hi @Brickman100

The Meze 99 Classics Maple Silver was discontinued so they are pretty rare to find :D

The difference between the 99 Neo and the 99 Classics are present yet subtle. The difference is given by the plastic ear cups of the 99 Neo which are thinner and thus their acoustic chamber slightly amplifies the bass.

If you would like to test the headphones in the UK, then you should contact our official UK distributor, SCV Distribution: http://www.scvdistribution.co.uk/

They can point you out to local dealers in the UK.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask us!

Some BIG LOVE from Forbes magazine too! :L3000:

"So let’s get down to pinning down the sound of these headphones. I have to say that these are probably the best sub-$1500 pair of headphones I’ve ever reviewed." - Actual quote from that review

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #3,440 of 7,697

"So let’s get down to pinning down the sound of these headphones. I have to say that these are probably the best sub-$1500 pair of headphones I’ve ever reviewed." - Actual quote from that review

I absolutely love my Meze and will never part with them, but I believe he needs to review some more headphones.

Nov 21, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #3,442 of 7,697
Why is the European price(309 USD vs 309 Euros) higher than the rest of the World?Fortunately I got them cheaper in Maple from Amazon.de(still waiting for delivery)but I really wanted dark ones.I know that the difference is not huge but still makes me refuse to pay since there's no reason for it.Quite opposite-they should be cheaper here than US...

Nov 21, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #3,443 of 7,697

Well-deserved Meze. The 99c is still one of my very favorite things to listen to.

Nov 21, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #3,444 of 7,697
I've stated this elsewhere but so everyone here can see it. I have tested both the Classic and Neo. The Audio Technica MSR7 ear pads are the ideal upgrade. They give more space around the ear increasing soundstage. The sub bass is intact, the details improve slightly, and any mid-bass or low-mid muddiness is cleaned up immensely. Only $9.00 with free shipping from NYC US here. Similarly priced if those run out on EBay, but from China (so those would take longer to get there). Click the link below.

www.ebay.com/itm/Earpads-Replacement-Ear-Pad-Ear-Cushion-For-Audio-Technica-ATH-MSR7-Headphone/152637437631?hash=item2389e676bf:m:mC2N1vHwVMXQAVn3qBx0XQQ

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #3,445 of 7,697
I've stated this elsewhere but so everyone here can see it. I have tested both the Classic and Neo. The Audio Technica MSR7 ear pads are the ideal upgrade. They give more space around the ear increasing soundstage. The sub bass is intact, the details improve slightly, and any mid-bass or low-mid muddiness is cleaned up immensely. Only $9.00 with free shipping from NYC US here. Similarly priced if those run out on EBay, but from China (so those would take longer to get there). Click the link below.

www.ebay.com/itm/Earpads-Replacement-Ear-Pad-Ear-Cushion-For-Audio-Technica-ATH-MSR7-Headphone/152637437631?hash=item2389e676bf:m:mC2N1vHwVMXQAVn3qBx0XQQ
My BW Sheepskin Ovals will be here tomorrow, finally, but will keep these in mind should they not work out.

Nov 21, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #3,446 of 7,697

Nice Mark Up! Glad they worked out.

Have you tried the B/W non-angled sheepskin leather ones yet on the 99 C? Just wondering.

Nov 21, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #3,447 of 7,697
Was about to pull the trigger on the Neos but read some comments that the DD Audio DXB - 04s are very close in sound for $100 less. Can anybody chime in who has heard both? Is the Neo worth the extra $100 for sound, comfort and build quality?

Thanks in advance.

Nov 21, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #3,448 of 7,697
Was about to pull the trigger on the Neos but read some comments that the DD Audio DXB - 04s are very close in sound for $100 less. Can anybody chime in who has heard both? Is the Neo worth the extra $100 for sound, comfort and build quality?

Thanks in advance.

Neo is much thicker-sounding, with bigger bass and lusher mids. DXB-04 is much more like 99C: clearer, more transparent.

In other words, I don't consider Neo a proper comparison, because it's not tuned very much like the DXB-04.

That said, yes, it's a better headphone. Build alone might be worth the price. But which one you will like more depends on your preference in sound.

The 99 Classics is much simpler. It's a full and complete upgrade over the DXB-04. But it's also three times as much. Worth it to me, but maybe not to you.

Nov 22, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #3,449 of 7,697

Thanks for this, I may try these out before I pull the trigger on the PSB M4U ear pads.

Nov 22, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #3,450 of 7,697
Nice Mark Up! Glad they worked out. Have you tried the B/W non-angled sheepskin leather ones yet on the 99 C? Just wondering.
I had tried and returned the 99 Classics as part of a pre-release tour they did. It was the smaller sized cups and of course I didn't have them long enough to work in them. I did the Neo tour and that was when I tried these pads. I don't have Brainwavz HM5 pads but I have the very similar version put out by that company that started with the letter "N" (can't think of it now) that are 90% the same, just a bit softer and not as thick (but still spacious, for keeping the ear away from touching the driver). Those seem to lose less bass. I've tried those vs. AT MSR7 pads on other cans (AT R70x, Sony MDR-1A). Because they'll fit just as well but put your ear a bit closer to the driver and due to their shape perhaps, they seem to retain more sub bass. They're great on both of those headphones too, improving spaciousness, cleaning up the low mids a bit. This is the top complaint I hear of the Neo, the low mid, high bass build up, muddiness. These pads 100% fix that, while adding a kind of spaciousness that really helps.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back