Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Nov 15, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #3,406 of 7,681
No worries as I clearly hear a change in sound with the Brainwavz; You are not alone. For me, the treble became too brittle, mids were a touch too distant, and the bass became too overbearing, hence why I thought they made the 99C sound like a beyerdynamic DT 770.

:metal::sunglasses:
Good to know lol. Although I must say, I've tried a friend's DT-770 and quite enjoyed them (I'd compare them to be on-par with my ATH-M50x). If the Meze + brainwavz combo reminded me of the 770s I wouldn't be all that opposed to it! The Meze sounded completely lifeless and distant with the brainwavz on for me - not how I'd describe my short experience with the 770s. Although I definitely agree that the bass was overbearing.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #3,407 of 7,681
I'm a bit shocked that people are reporting positive results with the Brainwavz sheepskins. I had to return the pads because I thought they made the 99s sound very dull due to the increased distance of the drivers from the ears. Even more so I'm shocked that people are reporting NO change in sound. I can understand if you don't mind the difference but to hear no difference in the pads at all - this makes me question my sanity (or rather, my hearing :) ) But I'm glad to see other people are finding solutions to the Meze ear pads, as they really are great sounding headphones - just happens that all the Meze pads are too small for me!

Also - to RockStar2005, I still haven't sold my Meze 99s (they are collecting dust though!) and I still plan on trying the PSB M4U ear pads we discussed a while back. I've just been busy with life the last month or so and haven't gotten around to contacting that international seller. Cheers all

Hey ham!!

My initial reaction to the non-angled Brainwavz sheepskins were more along the lines of yours............. I thought they made the sound worse. The bass got weaker and the sound became more "flat". So I returned them. But then after several people in this thread mentioned positive results, I decided to give them a second chance. This time I had a much more positive reaction to them (as detailed in the updates in my 99 C review). But the 2nd time around I also created new EQs that were customized for the sheepskins (also included in that review), which made a difference to me. The thing is, I'm noticing that although the sheepskins contributed to the expanded soundstage I have now (which also seems to contribute towards extra clarity), part of me does still agree with you regarding the increased distance of the drivers from the ears, which on some songs makes it feel a BIT less engaging. While in other cases, the expanded soundstage makes it sound better. It's a give and take, and I'm still trying to decide if I want to stay with the 99 C or not. Though I can't deny they are the most detailed (and arguably the nicest looking) HPs I've ever owned.

My other issue, which I've spoken to Meze about directly (their Marketing/PR Head, Lorand C. A really great guy btw!), is the clamping force of the 99 Cs. It seems to still be kind of tight, which for whatever reason I didn't really notice until a few mos ago. But since then, I've been regularly stretching out the headband a few times every time I listen to them. Fortunately, it has been helping as they are noticeably more relaxed than before. However, I still would like to see them a bit more loose. But this is something I'm continually working on, so we'll see.

Yeah, I felt the Meze pads (which seem to be the larger ones) were a bit too small on me too. The Brainwavz are definitely more comfortable.

Ahh ok ham. Thanks for getting back to me on that! Yeah let me/us know how the M4U pads work on the 99 Cs whenever you get around to it. Are they oval-shaped too or round?

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #3,408 of 7,681
I enjoy the hell out of my Meze with the non-angled Sheepskin.

Is the sound different? Eh, maybe. But not enough to bother me. In fact, I like it a lot.

Nov 15, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #3,409 of 7,681
What PinkyPowers says. I am in love with the sounds of these cans and the Brainwavz are essential for me to enjoy longer listening sessions. They do alter the sound, but not by a lot and with some EQ tweaks, it can be easily solved.

Nov 18, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #3,411 of 7,681
I got them with the original small earpads, which took me 15 minutes to get massive pain on my ears.
I then got the bigger original ones, which took me an hour to get massive pain on my ears.
I then got the Brainwavz non-angled velour earpads, which took 15 minutes to get the hottest ears ever. Massive lose of bass too, poor isolation and a lot of sound leakage.
I then got the Brainwavz non-angled PU/Velour (?). Less of the downgrades stated above, but finally I can listen longer than an hour without pain in my ears or having really warm ears.

Yes they leak more sound, I lose some bass and they sound flatter.
But I'm actually able to enjoy them. Definitely worth it.

Nov 19, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #3,413 of 7,681
I haven’t, but a question. Why would you or anyone want to tame the bass? If so, Why own these headphones in the first place as that was what drew me and many others to them. Just curious as there’s many other options available if these are bass heavy to you.

Nov 19, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #3,415 of 7,681
I haven’t, but a question. Why would you or anyone want to tame the bass? If so, Why own these headphones in the first place as that was what drew me and many others to them. Just curious as there’s many other options available if these are bass heavy to you.

Mine are the Neo but I know what you mean. I read the reviews and I wanted what they had to offer. I feel like lately people are not appreciating them for what they are. Or, maybe those who appreciate them are just happily enjoying their music and not hanging out in headfi.

Nov 19, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #3,416 of 7,681
I don't really want to tame it - just tighten it up because it's a bit bloated and bleeding across frequencies.
Maybe my hearing sucks but I don't hear bleeding, I probably just don't know what to listen for lol

Nov 19, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #3,417 of 7,681
Maybe my hearing sucks but I don't hear bleeding, I probably just don't know what to listen for lol
I think you’re hearing is fine. I definitely don’t hear any bloat whatsoever or bleeding into the mids and/or treble. These drivers are excellent and very balanced except for extended bass that’s tight, fast and deep.

Nov 19, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #3,418 of 7,681
I think you’re hearing is fine. I definitely don’t hear any bloat whatsoever or bleeding into the mids and/or treble. These drivers are excellent and very balanced except for extended bass that’s tight, fast and deep.

I fully endorse this statement! :sunglasses::thumbsup:

As someone who loves my bass to be controlled, the 99 Classics nicely fit in my headphone menagerie. It's bass bests both my HD 600 and K340 in terms of both speed and control, and is about on par in terms of quantity.

Nov 19, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #3,419 of 7,681
I would also agree. I LOVE these phones! I use them every day at work during lunch. IMO, they don't need amping and sound great with my phone, which is a Note 4. I am planning on getting a new phone this Friday, hopefully a V30, or at least a V20.

I have some doubts about my SR325E'S and my PM3'S. My HD6XX'S are arriving this week. Lots of changes in the next several months, but I will be keeping these for the long term.

On a minor note, I constantly get compliments on the appearance from co-workers and customers.

Shane D

Nov 19, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #3,420 of 7,681
I would also agree. I LOVE these phones! I use them every day at work during lunch. IMO, they don't need amping and sound great with my phone, which is a Note 4. I am planning on getting a new phone this Friday, hopefully a V30, or at least a V20.

I have some doubts about my SR325E'S and my PM3'S. My HD6XX'S are arriving this week. Lots of changes in the next several months, but I will be keeping these for the long term.

On a minor note, I constantly get compliments on the appearance from co-workers and customers.

Shane D

Nice Shane!

I just got the V30, and can guarantee you it (or the V20) will outdo the Note's audio quality for sure. If you get the V30, set the Quad DAC's settings to "Enhanced" and "Short" for best sound. The phone itself is incredible. Outstanding battery life, audio, 2K screen, speed, camera, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Hofy
Back