Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Nov 7, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #3,376 of 7,708
Dodocool makes a DAP?

I did a very brief review of their DA131 IEM. That was the only thing I knew of them. Apparently they have quite a few products. :open_mouth:

A very capable DAP at that! The only downside thus far is no AIFF support!! Anything else, no prob! DSD256, up to 256GB SD support, and a proper line out!! I paid $50 on eBay; Going for $90 now!

P.S. 99 Classics + HDV820 = Sublime! Oh man do they sound freak'n great together! Still getting non-balanced impressions before I (literally) cut the cord and throw on a 4-pin XLR plug. Pictures to follow!

:metal::sunglasses:

Nov 7, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #3,377 of 7,708
It's a balanced cable I built using Norne Audio DiY parts from his store.

Did you notice a difference going balanced? If I can I tend to go balanced, ie my Lyra II and my 400i

Nov 9, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #3,378 of 7,708
I C. Yeah the silver/maple ones were beautiful. Too bad they discontinued them. And yeah, they stopped making them BEFORE Meze decided to go with larger pads, so that all makes sense.

Just wanted to post to dispel the misinformation I've seen multiple times in this thread that the white/silver version only had the smaller pads. I bought my white/silver direct from Meze more than a year ago, and only after the Meze team confirmed here that they included the larger pads (see post #779 on page 52 of this thread).

Now for those looking to buy a pair now on the secondary market, I don't know how you can tell which one is which unless you have both in hand. Maybe specific markings somewhere. Perhaps the Meze team can comment on this.

Nov 9, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #3,379 of 7,708
Just wanted to post to dispel the misinformation I've seen multiple times in this thread that the white/silver version only had the smaller pads. I bought my white/silver direct from Meze more than a year ago, and only after the Meze team confirmed here that they included the larger pads (see post #779 on page 52 of this thread).

Now for those looking to buy a pair now on the secondary market, I don't know how you can tell which one is which unless you have both in hand. Maybe specific markings somewhere. Perhaps the Meze team can comment on this.

Hi erazboy,

Wow............ok. Thank you for letting us know about this! I'm glad that Meze didn't discontinue the maple or white/silver 99 Cs line until AFTER the larger pads were put into production. If it comes up again, I'll make sure to note your discovery if asked again.

Yeah it would help if Meze could offer some way of telling what you were getting ahead of time, esp since there are no other ways of getting the larger ear pads separately like you could easily do with the black ones.

Nov 9, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #3,380 of 7,708
Hi erazboy,

Wow............ok. Thank you for letting us know about this! I'm glad that Meze didn't discontinue the maple or white/silver 99 Cs line until AFTER the larger pads were put into production. If it comes up again, I'll make sure to note your discovery if asked again.

Yeah it would help if Meze could offer some way of telling what you were getting ahead of time, esp since there are no other ways of getting the larger ear pads separately like you could easily do with the black ones.

Thanks. I didn't want anyone to think they had to settle for "inferior" headphones just because they preferred the look of the white/silver version. These are really great headphones, and are the only ones I still own today. I lurked in this thread many months ago, and appreciate all the info and opinions of everybody who contributed to this thread which helped me decide to buy them. Now I'm back to see what everyone has been doing balanced cable-wise.

Nov 9, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #3,381 of 7,708
Thanks. I didn't want anyone to think they had to settle for "inferior" headphones just because they preferred the look of the white/silver version. These are really great headphones, and are the only ones I still own today. I lurked in this thread many months ago, and appreciate all the info and opinions of everybody who contributed to this thread which helped me decide to buy them. Now I'm back to see what everyone has been doing balanced cable-wise.

Sure thing!

Well I'm glad you got exactly what you wanted. It's a shame Meze discontinued that color for the 99 Cs. They really do look great. But hopefully they will bring it back for future versions of the 99 Cs (or related) HPs.

Nov 10, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #3,382 of 7,708
The more I listen to these cans, the more I'm convinced that they are my favorites (out of a collection of 8 over-ear sets). the only ones that currently get equal time are my EL-8's and my Nighthawks.

I took out my maple/silver set to get them ready to sell but as I looked at them, I realized that they are not going anywhere, they are just too goddamn gorgeous. I want to get a larger set of earpads, can anyone confirm that these will work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brainwavz-...100874?hash=item2eed61bbca:g:w00AAOSwK7FWha0W

thanks for the help!!!

Nov 10, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #3,383 of 7,708
The more I listen to these cans, the more I'm convinced that they are my favorites (out of a collection of 8 over-ear sets). the only ones that currently get equal time are my EL-8's and my Nighthawks.

I took out my maple/silver set to get them ready to sell but as I looked at them, I realized that they are not going anywhere, they are just too goddamn gorgeous. I want to get a larger set of earpads, can anyone confirm that these will work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brainwavz-...100874?hash=item2eed61bbca:g:w00AAOSwK7FWha0W

thanks for the help!!!

Yeah they are very nice looking and great HPs.

Yeah they should, especially if they're already oval-shaped. I would recommend buying them from Amazon though as they're a bit cheaper on there, and faster shipping too (if you're have Amazon Prime anyway).

Good idea though Preachy! Even though Meze doesn't sell them anymore, people might as well get the Brainwavz pads anyway cuz they seem to be even more comfortable than the stock ones. And I'm sure they're larger too. It's prob better to do this than buy a Maple/Silver 99 C just to find out it has the original smaller pads.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #3,384 of 7,708
Got mine in today, they sound superb. The Neo are good but these are definitely a step up.

The stock pads are nice for solid cushion but are shallow and don't like my ears sitting on the driver. My only HM5 pads I have to use are too stretched out to fit so I have my Pioneer HRM-6 pads on these for now. Fit perfectly and seem to keep the same sound. Possibly will buy sheepskin oval Brainwavz pads for the hell of it

Nov 10, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #3,385 of 7,708
Count yourself one of the lucky few with white larger pads before talking about disinformation, because I doubt they sold more than one batch of white/maple 99 with larger pads.
They NEVER EVER proposed aftermarket white larger pads for first gen silver/maple buyers, which disappointed many people here, including myself.

And they never even bothered answering why they didn't make them available as separate purchase, which does not exactly make me feel they care much about customers.
I would have gladly paid more than the 20€ they charge for the black pads, given the additional cost of producing white p-leather.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #3,386 of 7,708
Yeah they are very nice looking and great HPs.

Yeah they should, especially if they're already oval-shaped. I would recommend buying them from Amazon though as they're a bit cheaper on there, and faster shipping too (if you're have Amazon Prime anyway).

Good idea though Preachy! Even though Meze doesn't sell them anymore, people might as well get the Brainwavz pads anyway cuz they seem to be even more comfortable than the stock ones. And I'm sure they're larger too. It's prob better to do this than buy a Maple/Silver 99 C just to find out it has the original smaller pads.
Purchased! thanks

Nov 10, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #3,388 of 7,708
Count yourself one of the lucky few with white larger pads before talking about disinformation, because I doubt they sold more than one batch of white/maple 99 with larger pads.
They NEVER EVER proposed aftermarket white larger pads for first gen silver/maple buyers, which disappointed many people here, including myself.

And they never even bothered answering why they didn't make them available as separate purchase, which does not exactly make me feel they care much about customers.
I would have gladly paid more than the 20€ they charge for the black pads, given the additional cost of producing white p-leather.

Normally when I contact them they are great about getting back to me and treat me very kindly each time. Not sure what happened with you those pads though. But again, I recommend everyone just get the Brainwavz white pads instead anyway cuz 1) You're guaranteed to get the larger sized pads and 2) They're arguably more comfortable anyway.

Too bad Brainwavz doesn't sell the sheepskin leather one in white too. But the regular memory foam one they do sell still looks pretty nice & comfortable IMO.

Nov 10, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #3,389 of 7,708
Hi
Am I correct that the current version of the Meze 99 classics are sold with larger earpads than the originals?

Also some of the reviews seem to indicate the sound is different with the different pads with some saying the bass with the big pads is bloated. What do most people think of the sound with the small vs big pads and are most people using the small or big pads?

Thanks
Mike

Nov 11, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #3,390 of 7,708
Hi
Am I correct that the current version of the Meze 99 classics are sold with larger earpads than the originals?

Also some of the reviews seem to indicate the sound is different with the different pads with some saying the bass with the big pads is bloated. What do most people think of the sound with the small vs big pads and are most people using the small or big pads?

Thanks
Mike

Yes. It seems that at this point all the older HPs with the stock ear pads have already been sold off, so you should be fine.

Yeah........with the newer/larger stock ear pads that Meze sells with the 99 Cs, the sound did change somewhat from what I've read on here. I never heard the original/smaller pads, but with the Brainwavz sheepskin leather (non-angled) pads, the sound changes again. That's why some people on here (including me) use custom EQs to listen to the 99 Cs with the different pads. But some ppl like the sound of the newer/larger stock pads, and just leave it be. You won't really know 'til you try them out. I personally like the Brainwavz pads b/c I feel you get more clarity as a result of the EXTRA wide soundstage they provide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back