Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Aug 29, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #2,988 of 7,695
Ok, I got a new toy, and man oh man is it a phenomenal combination! Review here!

99iTube.jpg

ba-awesome-colorful-fireworks-animated-gif-image-s.gif

Aug 29, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #2,990 of 7,695
Aug 29, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #2,992 of 7,695
Damn son, how many did you buy?!! lol

micro iDAC --> micro iTube2 --> micro iCAN SE

DAC --> tube pre-amp --> amp

Sooooo many knobs and switches!

Aug 29, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #2,994 of 7,695
micro iDAC --> micro iTube2 --> micro iCAN SE

DAC --> tube pre-amp --> amp

Sooooo many knobs and switches!
If the iTube2 is like lingerie i wonder what the iCAN SE is. Ok back to topic. The 99s must sound more magical with your rig. Looks great!

Aug 29, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #2,995 of 7,695
If the iTube2 is like lingerie i wonder what the iCAN SE is. Ok back to topic. The 99s must sound more magical with your rig. Looks great!

The iDAC is the mood, the iCAN SE is the unveiling, the Classics is the action! :sunglasses::thumbsup:

Yes, magical is exactly how they sound. Actually, a classic magic, one that makes Gandalf envious! Class-A pre-amp/amp through and through plus the 99 Classics' woodness greatness is pure heaven! The combination brings out the best in all!

:metal:

Aug 30, 2017 at 3:28 AM Post #2,996 of 7,695
Full stack:

Good effort. I have a similar 3 tier ifi stack (iUSB power +iP2+ iDSD+iCAN SE) and it suits the 99 Classics very well indeed. Actually it was ifi Audio who recommended the Classics some time back, so I guess they knew something! I can recommend swapping out the headphone cables which improves the whole sound by tightening everything up and giving more space to the sound stage.

Aug 30, 2017 at 3:30 AM Post #2,997 of 7,695
Finally got around to modding my Meze 99 Classics today. I am very happy with the results.

I was never happy with the sound since I had purchased them, but loved the looks, comfort, and how easy they are to drive. The part I hated was that the bass bled into the mids with the newer larger earpads. It was a complete disappointment from all the positive reviews I had read which referenced an older earpad design. So they just sat for a few months.

Today, I opened them up. The bass port on the back of the drivers were wide open. I cut round discs of masking tape to cover each of the the bass port holes on the back of each driver. I experimented some, but came away with using a hole size of a T3 hex bit for the new size of the bass port. This essentially made the bass port holes about 25% smaller. The result was still having the fun punching bass, but reduced the bleed over. They now sound like I thought they should have sounded like. FYI, in case anyone else wants to experiment with a completely reversible mod.
Or you could try an upgraded headphone cable and get an improvement across the whole spectrum and the soundstage too........

Aug 30, 2017 at 6:34 AM Post #2,998 of 7,695
Here I am with the ultimate mod for the Classics...

When I want a little less bass I put myselft a sportive hat (beisball or golf, whatever) and the results are amazing :D No joke.

I think the reason of that is the reduced seal that makes the sound more ligh.

Aug 30, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #2,999 of 7,695
Hi fellow Meze owners. First time poster but a long time lurker of head-fi. Has anyone had any issues with the pivot point of the cups loosening over time?

I've had my classics for 6 months now and I love them. However, the earcup pivot points are noticeable looser than when I purchased them. So much so, that I'm afraid one of them is close to falling off completely.

Has anyone experienced this? Is it possible to tighten the pivot points by disassembling the headphones?

Thanks!

Aug 30, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #3,000 of 7,695
Hi fellow Meze owners. First time poster but a long time lurker of head-fi. Has anyone had any issues with the pivot point of the cups loosening over time?

I've had my classics for 6 months now and I love them. However, the earcup pivot points are noticeable looser than when I purchased them. So much so, that I'm afraid one of them is close to falling off completely.

Has anyone experienced this? Is it possible to tighten the pivot points by disassembling the headphones?

Thanks!
Yes, just need T6 hex bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back