Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Aug 30, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #3,001 of 7,702
Or you could try an upgraded headphone cable and get an improvement across the whole spectrum and the soundstage too........
I tried another aftermarket cable, but it was a cheapie and it sounded the same. I was unconvinced changing the cable on this headphone would make much of a difference since it uses such little wattage. Have you noticed an improvement with a particular cable? I might check into it or build my own like I did for my HE400S.

Aug 30, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #3,002 of 7,702
Or you could try an upgraded headphone cable and get an improvement across the whole spectrum and the soundstage too........

LOL, yeah that's how it works..........

Aug 30, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #3,003 of 7,702
I tried another aftermarket cable, but it was a cheapie and it sounded the same. I was unconvinced changing the cable on this headphone would make much of a difference since it uses such little wattage. Have you noticed an improvement with a particular cable? I might check into it or build my own like I did for my HE400S.
I ordered a cable from Forza (where I had got other cables from before with good results) and it turned out to be in the same week that Meze announced their own 2 upgrade versions. I prefer the new Forza cable now as it seems to provide a tighter bass that doesn't affect the mids so much and a clearer treble. The soundstage hasn't changed in width but has improved in depth.......at least to my ear. I am hoping to try Meze's own cable and will then compare it to the Forza.

Aug 30, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #3,004 of 7,702
I ordered a cable from Forza (where I had got other cables from before with good results) and it turned out to be in the same week that Meze announced their own 2 upgrade versions. I prefer the new Forza cable now as it seems to provide a tighter bass that doesn't affect the mids so much and a clearer treble. The soundstage hasn't changed in width but has improved in depth.......at least to my ear. I am hoping to try Meze's own cable and will then compare it to the Forza.

If you can do measurements of them as well that would be really interesting.

Aug 30, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #3,005 of 7,702
Ha ha sorry no that's not something for me. It takes me all my effort to get hi res files onto my iPhone!!!

Aug 30, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #3,006 of 7,702
Ha ha sorry no that's not something for me. It takes me all my effort to get hi res files onto my iPhone!!!

Ha ha, fair enough. As long as you enjoy the music that's all that matters :)

Aug 30, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #3,007 of 7,702
Here I am with the ultimate mod for the Classics...

When I want a little less bass I put myselft a sportive hat (beisball or golf, whatever) and the results are amazing :D No joke.

I think the reason of that is the reduced seal that makes the sound more ligh.

+1 on this, and it does help quite a bit. While demoing the 99 Neo, for the first time ever, I tried my Sennheiser Momentum on the couch, hat-less, for the first time since I bought them (like 1 month after they were released) and holy crap was the sound thick and bass strong! Similarly, the 99 Neo share almost an identical sound to the Momentum with a larger soundscape. And not surprising, when worn with my hat the 99 Neo's bass was reduced.

Aug 30, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #3,009 of 7,702
So I have a few things to share regarding the Meze balanced cables for 99C.

I purchased (actually pre-ordered) the pure copper version and during the last 14 days I have been testing them. As a DAP, I have Fiio X7 first generation with AM3 balanced module. I have NOT listened to balanced audio before this cable purchase and I was curious how different it is.
The build quality of the cables seems pretty good. The weaving job is fine, considering the fact they have 4 wires per channel the end plugs are very well taken care of. However, the plugs seems to be slightly bent (a first cable I purchased had this problem very noticeable and the plugs would not actually fit the female counterparts in the headphones. I sent them back to Meze and they immediately sent me another cable, which has this problem solved - props to Meze customer support!). I hope that buildwise the will last my everyday use.

Soundwise, it took me endless hours to test them thoroughly. When I compared them directly with stock Meze cables on the regular AM3 3.5mm (non-balanced) output, at first there did not seem to be any difference. However, after multiple back-and-forths, they are a bit more clear, the separation is slightly more noticeable. The biggest advantage, however, is their resistance to noise. Even when a strong source of interference, the noise is not present at all.

The biggest surprise came when I plugged them to the AM3 2.5 mm balanced output. Oh boy. As I previously said, I consider myself "balanced audio virgin", and even though I had some expectations, that experience exceeded them by far. Sound clarity, separation, imaging, dynamics, everything was much better (hard to quantify) compared to the non-balanced output. I listen to wide spectrum of genres (orchestral, instrumental, acapella, liquid Drum'n'bass, etc.), and every single one seemed much more enjoyable to listen. Yes, I am well aware of the "placebo effect", but this was not the case.

To summarize, I definitely recommend them to anyone that has a decent source of balanced audio available. For me, these cables was worth the price, they were a means to me to explore the beauty of balanced audio. Hopefully Meze restocks them soon so more of you guys can share your impressions.

Note: I also purchased the Brainwavz angled hybrid pads, they seem to add more soundstage and separation. However, they seem to kill low midrange-midrange and I am still working on a decent equalizer settings to make them comparable with stock Meze 99C pads. Any recommendations by you guys, who own the Brainwavz?

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #3,013 of 7,702
So I have a few things to share regarding the Meze balanced cables for 99C.

I purchased (actually pre-ordered) the pure copper version and during the last 14 days I have been testing them. As a DAP, I have Fiio X7 first generation with AM3 balanced module. I have NOT listened to balanced audio before this cable purchase and I was curious how different it is.
The build quality of the cables seems pretty good. The weaving job is fine, considering the fact they have 4 wires per channel the end plugs are very well taken care of. However, the plugs seems to be slightly bent (a first cable I purchased had this problem very noticeable and the plugs would not actually fit the female counterparts in the headphones. I sent them back to Meze and they immediately sent me another cable, which has this problem solved - props to Meze customer support!). I hope that buildwise the will last my everyday use.

Soundwise, it took me endless hours to test them thoroughly. When I compared them directly with stock Meze cables on the regular AM3 3.5mm (non-balanced) output, at first there did not seem to be any difference. However, after multiple back-and-forths, they are a bit more clear, the separation is slightly more noticeable. The biggest advantage, however, is their resistance to noise. Even when a strong source of interference, the noise is not present at all.

The biggest surprise came when I plugged them to the AM3 2.5 mm balanced output. Oh boy. As I previously said, I consider myself "balanced audio virgin", and even though I had some expectations, that experience exceeded them by far. Sound clarity, separation, imaging, dynamics, everything was much better (hard to quantify) compared to the non-balanced output. I listen to wide spectrum of genres (orchestral, instrumental, acapella, liquid Drum'n'bass, etc.), and every single one seemed much more enjoyable to listen. Yes, I am well aware of the "placebo effect", but this was not the case.

To summarize, I definitely recommend them to anyone that has a decent source of balanced audio available. For me, these cables was worth the price, they were a means to me to explore the beauty of balanced audio. Hopefully Meze restocks them soon so more of you guys can share your impressions.

Note: I also purchased the Brainwavz angled hybrid pads, they seem to add more soundstage and separation. However, they seem to kill low midrange-midrange and I am still working on a decent equalizer settings to make them comparable with stock Meze 99C pads. Any recommendations by you guys, who own the Brainwavz?
Hi, How much did you pay for the shipping of the Meze balanced cable ? Thanks in advance .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back