Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Aug 31, 2017 at 2:29 AM Post #3,016 of 7,704
20€ !!! Super express delivery ? Thanks for your reply

That's what Meze asked for shipping. I did not object since they packed and sent it the day I preordered in and within 3 days I had it on my desk.

Aug 31, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #3,018 of 7,704
Hello to everyone, I was wondering how meze 99 classics compare to p7 wireless? I really need to buy some good headphone for home and travel to work. 1.Which one sound better? 2. Have better bass? 3.Which one will sound better on smartphone? Moustly I listen to jazz, funk, classic, latin, house music. Anyway, thank you. :)

Aug 31, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #3,019 of 7,704
Hello to everyone, I was wondering how meze 99 classics compare to p7 wireless? I really need to buy some good headphone for home and travel to work. 1.Which one sound better? 2. Have better bass? 3.Which one will sound better on smartphone? Moustly I listen to jazz, funk, classic, latin, house music. Anyway, thank you. :)

Hey vin,

Well I've never tried the P7 Wireless, but the wired P7s I did try and I can say without a doubt that the 99 Cs are superior! And given that the wired P7s of course sound better than the P7 Wireless, I would say you have your answer now. lol

The 99 Cs sound better, have a better and TIGHTER bass sound that runs deeper I believe, and so they will sound better on any source, even smartphone.

Unless your phone is the LG V20 or HTC 10, you should STRONGLY consider an amp/DAC device as well to improve, well, everything lol.............. increase clarity, improve instrument separation, widen soundstage (DAC), and the amp will give you a fuller richer louder sound so you can hear more. Let me know and I can suggest a couple for you.

Aug 31, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #3,020 of 7,704
Hey vin,

Well I've never tried the P7 Wireless, but the wired P7s I did try and I can say without a doubt that the 99 Cs are superior! And given that the wired P7s of course sound better than the P7 Wireless, I would say you have your answer now. lol

The 99 Cs sound better, have a better and TIGHTER bass sound that runs deeper I believe, and so they will sound better on any source, even smartphone.

Unless your phone is the LG V20 or HTC 10, you should STRONGLY consider an amp/DAC device as well to improve, well, everything lol.............. increase clarity, improve instrument separation, widen soundstage (DAC), and the amp will give you a fuller richer louder sound so you can hear more. Let me know and I can suggest a couple for you.

Thank you so much RockStar2005, I really love the design of Meze, so this is great news for me. Anyway at the moment I am using Note2, but I will be soon using oneplus 5. Will there be any difference? I dont have any experience in high quallity headphones, I was just reading a lot of reviews in last 2 or 3 years. In 2016 I bought my brother ATH M50x, and Costa Porta Pro. Now its time for me:). First I wonted Nad Visio 50, than Momentum 2, after that Audeze Sine, Hifiman 400i/s, Phillips Fidelio X2. Ofcourse I do like the ability to use your headphone wirelessly, and not lose to much in audio quality. So I was interested in Sony mdr 1000x also, and than P7 wireless. At the end of my jurney I come up to this liitle miracle headphones for that price under 500$. Any other suggestions in that price range under 500? I dont like planer magnetics "lack" of bass/neutral sound/ so I was more up to V shaped p7 w, and great looking and sounding Meze 99 classic in that case.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #3,021 of 7,704
In 2016 I bought my brother ATH M50x, and Costa Porta Pro. Now its time for me:). First I wonted Nad Visio 50, than Momentum 2, after that Audeze Sine, Hifiman 400i/s, Phillips Fidelio X2. Ofcourse I do like the ability to use your headphone wirelessly, and not lose to much in audio quality. So I was interested in Sony mdr 1000x also, and than P7 wireless. At the end of my jurney I come up to this liitle miracle headphones for that price under 500$. Any other suggestions in that price range under 500? I dont like planer magnetics "lack" of bass/neutral sound/ so I was more up to V shaped p7 w, and great looking and sounding Meze 99 classic in that case.

I got the Focal Listen after my M50x started falling apart, and love them. The 99 Classics would have been a nice step up as well, but the Focal have more precise imaging, which I really enjoy. The 99 Classics have the advantage that you can drive them balanced without mods, but of course you'll need a balanced source, too (i.e. not your average phone).

Aug 31, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #3,022 of 7,704
Thank you so much RockStar2005, I really love the design of Meze, so this is great news for me. Anyway at the moment I am using Note2, but I will be soon using oneplus 5. Will there be any difference? I dont have any experience in high quallity headphones, I was just reading a lot of reviews in last 2 or 3 years. In 2016 I bought my brother ATH M50x, and Costa Porta Pro. Now its time for me:). First I wonted Nad Visio 50, than Momentum 2, after that Audeze Sine, Hifiman 400i/s, Phillips Fidelio X2. Ofcourse I do like the ability to use your headphone wirelessly, and not lose to much in audio quality. So I was interested in Sony mdr 1000x also, and than P7 wireless. At the end of my jurney I come up to this liitle miracle headphones for that price under 500$. Any other suggestions in that price range under 500? I dont like planer magnetics "lack" of bass/neutral sound/ so I was more up to V shaped p7 w, and great looking and sounding Meze 99 classic in that case.

You're welcome vin!!

Yeah, the 99 Cs look nicer too IMO. Make sure to see my review on the 99 Cs for some great info and tips on custom EQ'ing for best sound. It helps to have Poweramp (music app) as well as my EQs are pulled from Poweramp.

Ahh nice! I JUST got my dad the OnePlus 5 last week, and he LOVES it! It's a really great phone. I can't say if the OnePlus 5 is great for audio, as I think only the LG V20 or V30, and my HTC 10 fit as being "great" for headphone audio (b/c they were given ABOVE AVERAGE DACs and amps). So yes, you definitely want to get the 99 Cs and for best results, a great amp/DAC device. Ok since you seem interested in getting the best sound, then I recommend you look at the very highly-rated AudioQuest DragonFly Red, which sells for about $198 in the U.S. It is super portable, easy to use, and sounds great too. If that's too much, then look at the cheaper ($98) but still highly-rated Black. I've tried the Black and it sounds great too, though the Red is rated a notch higher. Well since you're getting the OnePlus, which uses the newer MicroUSB-C port, you will need an adapter to connect the Red or Black to the phone, like this one.

Sounds like you've tried a lot of headphones, which is good. That will help you figure out what you like and don't like (it's not always what you expect). But from all those headphones, I would say the 99 Cs are still the best choice, definitely for UNDER $500 anyway. They are wired, but wired is still better for sound than wireless is, though it's getting closer and closer from what I can see.

With a setup like the one I described, the 99 Cs will sound INCREDIBLE.

Aug 31, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #3,023 of 7,704
I have a friend at work who has Focal Listen and asked me if I had heard about the Meze 99 classic's. When I told him I owned them and took them into work for him to try. His other team mate told me he had listened to them for nearly 10 hours of his 12 hour night shift and had done no work at all. Now he has bought them and is very happy

Aug 31, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #3,024 of 7,704
I have a friend at work who has Focal Listen and asked me if I had heard about the Meze 99 classic's. When I told him I owned them and took them into work for him to try. His other team mate told me he had listened to them for nearly 10 hours of his 12 hour night shift and had done no work at all. Now he has bought them and is very happy

Nice Panda!

Aug 31, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #3,025 of 7,704

The Meze 99C is very easy to drive so you shouldn't have a problem with your phone.

Edit: that being said, better source does always give better sound. It all comes down to how much you're willing to spend and how portable you'd like your setup to be.

I don't think that there's a common concensus that planars are bass light, they've got as many different flavors as dynamics in my experience.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #3,027 of 7,704
The balanced cables just became available on the Meze site just now. I just purchased one and can't wait to hear how these will sound on both my X5iii and X3iii in balanced mode.

Aug 31, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #3,029 of 7,704
You're welcome vin!!

Yeah, the 99 Cs look nicer too IMO. Make sure to see my review on the 99 Cs for some great info and tips on custom EQ'ing for best sound. It helps to have Poweramp (music app) as well as my EQs are pulled from Poweramp.

Ahh nice! I JUST got my dad the OnePlus 5 last week, and he LOVES it! It's a really great phone. I can't say if the OnePlus 5 is great for audio, as I think only the LG V20 or V30, and my HTC 10 fit as being "great" for headphone audio (b/c they were given ABOVE AVERAGE DACs and amps). So yes, you definitely want to get the 99 Cs and for best results, a great amp/DAC device. Ok since you seem interested in getting the best sound, then I recommend you look at the very highly-rated AudioQuest DragonFly Red, which sells for about $198 in the U.S. It is super portable, easy to use, and sounds great too. If that's too much, then look at the cheaper ($98) but still highly-rated Black. I've tried the Black and it sounds great too, though the Red is rated a notch higher. Well since you're getting the OnePlus, which uses the newer MicroUSB-C port, you will need an adapter to connect the Red or Black to the phone, like this one.

Sounds like you've tried a lot of headphones, which is good. That will help you figure out what you like and don't like (it's not always what you expect). But from all those headphones, I would say the 99 Cs are still the best choice, definitely for UNDER $500 anyway. They are wired, but wired is still better for sound than wireless is, though it's getting closer and closer from what I can see.

With a setup like the one I described, the 99 Cs will sound INCREDIBLE.

I can attest to this statement. I have both the 99 classic with DFR on an IPhone 7+. This combo sounds really good. There is definitely a difference versus a desktop amp and Dac but for portable, it's the best combo I've had yet.... for portable. I have other HP's that sound as good and better with the DFR but I don't consider them portable. You can get the 99 classics with DFR and stay right at your budget. It's a good choice man!

Aug 31, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #3,030 of 7,704

Users who are viewing this thread

Back