Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Sep 1, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #3,047 of 7,702
I just said that because it looked like the amp/DAC factor was making his decision more complicated on the headphones.

Yeah I can understand that. I just didn't want him misjudging the 99 Cs b/c he didn't have a proper amp/DAC device powering it. Anyway, it looks like he's gone with the Black to pair with the 99 Cs, which is great as either the Red or the Black will make a significant impact on the sound quality.

Sep 2, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #3,049 of 7,702
Helloooooo too everyone again :)

If you had hoped that you would not see me anymore, you were deceived :)

I have a few more questions for you guys :)

1. Meze 99 classics in comparison with Th X 00? (Genre: Jazz, Blues, Funk, Classic, Latino, House..)
2. Will it sound better Meze 99'c + dragonfly black + Oneplus5 OR Meze 99'c + V30 lg ? And how big is the difference if there is one.
3. Philips X2 Vs Meze 99'c

Thank you :)

Sep 2, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #3,050 of 7,702
Just a small update on my experience with the Brainwavz Angled pads:

I haven't used the 99C at all since that first day or two. But today I pulled them out for comparison in a review I'm writing. And I absolutely loved what I heard. The soundstage was huge, everything was beautifully balanced and super clear.

I will be keeping these pads on. :)

Sep 3, 2017 at 5:49 AM Post #3,051 of 7,702
Just a small update on my experience with the Brainwavz Angled pads:

I haven't used the 99C at all since that first day or two. But today I pulled them out for comparison in a review I'm writing. And I absolutely loved what I heard. The soundstage was huge, everything was beautifully balanced and super clear.

I will be keeping these pads on. :)

Do you own hybrid, velour or sheepskin pads? =)

Sep 3, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #3,052 of 7,702
Sep 3, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #3,054 of 7,702
Do they get warm as with the originals?

A material like that will always match your body temperature after extended use. Thats just how it works.

Sep 3, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #3,055 of 7,702
Helloooooo too everyone again :)

If you had hoped that you would not see me anymore, you were deceived :)

I have a few more questions for you guys :)

1. Meze 99 classics in comparison with Th X 00? (Genre: Jazz, Blues, Funk, Classic, Latino, House..)
2. Will it sound better Meze 99'c + dragonfly black + Oneplus5 OR Meze 99'c + V30 lg ? And how big is the difference if there is one.
3. Philips X2 Vs Meze 99'c

Thank you :)

Hi vin,

I did not hope that, so no worries. lol

That's a great question. The one thing is though, I can only really answer the question based on my experience with the LG V20, which I briefly owned, and my cousin owned for several months and let me check it out too on headphones.

My answer is that I would think the LG V30 would be better. The reason is based on comparisons. I'd compared my V20 to my former $299 Oppo HA-2 amp/DAC, and it (just like my HTC 10) MATCHED if not outdid the HA-2, which is NO small feat. The Black is a step down from the Red, so going based off that, I would say it's very likely the V30 (which is supposed to have even better sound quality than the V20) will sound better than the Black. Now if you were comparing the V30 to the Red, I would have more hesitation there in saying the V30 was better, but even then it's possible as the V30 is newer and hasn't even been released yet.

Another thing you should know is, when you're using an amp/DAC device like the Black or the Red, the sound quality of the smartphone you're using to drive it is really irrelevant. This is because when you put one of the devices in between your phone and headphones, the device is set up to SUPERSEDE your phone's audio technology, essentially "benching it" while the Black/Red takes action.

So really you should look at the other aspects of the phone too. My past experience with LG was positive except for that several of their recent phones have had a known "boot loop" issue after several months of use (I only had mine for a week). I have no idea if LG has fixed the issue for the V30. One would think or hope they have, but not sure. The camera on the V20 was pretty inconsistent, but initial reviews of the V30's dual lens camera are very positive (though final software is not available as of yet). So perhaps just wait on initial FULL reviews before deciding. If you buy the V30, make sure that LG will cover you if that boot loop issue ever comes up. I'd suggest e-mailing or calling them ahead of time and getting confirmation on that as I've heard in the past in some instances they denied such requests supposedly.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #3,056 of 7,702
Hi vin,

I did not hope that, so no worries. lol

That's a great question. The one thing is though, I can only really answer the question based on my experience with the LG V20, which I briefly owned, and my cousin owned for several months and let me check it out too on headphones.

My answer is that I would think the LG V30 would be better. The reason is based on comparisons. I'd compared my V20 to my former $299 Oppo HA-2 amp/DAC, and it (just like my HTC 10) MATCHED if not outdid the HA-2, which is NO small feat. The Black is a step down from the Red, so going based off that, I would say it's very likely the V30 (which is supposed to have even better sound quality than the V20) will sound better than the Black. Now if you were comparing the V30 to the Red, I would have more hesitation there in saying the V30 was better, but even then it's possible as the V30 is newer and hasn't even been released yet.

Another thing you should know is, when you're using an amp/DAC device like the Black or the Red, the sound quality of the smartphone you're using to drive it is really irrelevant. This is because when you put one of the devices in between your phone and headphones, the device is set up to SUPERSEDE your phone's audio technology, essentially "benching it" while the Black/Red takes action.

So really you should look at the other aspects of the phone too. My past experience with LG was positive except for that several of their recent phones have had a known "boot loop" issue after several months of use (I only had mine for a week). I have no idea if LG has fixed the issue for the V30. One would think or hope they have, but not sure. The camera on the V20 was pretty inconsistent, but initial reviews of the V30's dual lens camera are very positive (though final software is not available as of yet). So perhaps just wait on initial FULL reviews before deciding. If you buy the V30, make sure that LG will cover you if that boot loop issue ever comes up. I'd suggest e-mailing or calling them ahead of time and getting confirmation on that as I've heard in the past in some instances they denied such requests supposedly.

Hope this helps!

Thank you very much RoCkStar for the detailed explanation of things and advice:))) As Always :)
I'll wait a little longer for now. Still have a couple of days to think about :)

But I am very interesting in th x00 also (wood, bass, 50mm drivers, 25 ohm, 5-45000hz, maybe little concern with 94db- who knows if this will sound good on smartphone), because they have more bass, and "z reviews" on youtube explained why these hphones are so special to him. On the website "Headfonics" they got a higher rating especially on the tonality that I was really worried about. Overall rating was higher then Meze's to. Also InnerFidelity has a very nice opinion about this device. I think I'm losing my mind :p

I didn't know for Lg's boot loop problem but there must be some kind of workaround. Release date in USA- 17 sep + shipping time= 700$+. I dont know if it will make it to my home. Its much safer to go with oneplus 5 I guess:)

And one more thing - shipping time. If I go with MEze should I order them from Meze's site? How long should I wait for delivery in USA?
Same question applies for X00 if anybody knows (Massdrop site). Some people have been waiting for a month or more (I read somewhere). The return flight ticket is booked for 3October, so dont have much time.

TNXXX :)))

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #3,057 of 7,702
Thank you very much RoCkStar for the detailed explanation of things and advice:))) As Always :)
I'll wait a little longer for now. Still have a couple of days to think about :)

But I am very interesting in th x00 also (wood, bass, 50mm drivers, 25 ohm, 5-45000hz, maybe little concern with 94db- who knows if this will sound good on smartphone), because they have more bass, and "z reviews" on youtube explained why these hphones are so special to him. On the website "Headfonics" they got a higher rating especially on the tonality that I was really worried about. Overall rating was higher then Meze's to. Also InnerFidelity has a very nice opinion about this device. I think I'm losing my mind :p

I didn't know for Lg's boot loop problem but there must be some kind of workaround. Release date in USA- 17 sep + shipping time= 700$+. I dont know if it will make it to my home. Its much safer to go with oneplus 5 I guess:)

And one more thing - shipping time. If I go with MEze should I order them from Meze's site? How long should I wait for delivery in USA?
Same question applies for X00 if anybody knows (Massdrop site). Some people have been waiting for a month or more (I read somewhere). The return flight ticket is booked for 3October, so dont have much time.

TNXXX :)))

You're welcome once again!

Cool. Let us know what you end up getting.

Vin, I just remembered......... I have a very knowledgeable friend on here (akg fanboy) who I trust above most others, and I just recalled now asking him about those headphones. I remember he said they were good but not great. I think he said the balance was off on their sound quality, or something like that? Anyway, I'd say the 99 C's are still the better choice, and they're cheaper too by about $100.

The Fostex headphones do look really nice. And they have the wooden ear cups too. But I guess the only way to know for sure is to buy them and the 99 Cs and compare them, and then just keep the one you like more.

Perhaps it is safer with the OnePlus. For all I know, LG has fixed the issue, but again, if you really want the V30, I'd call or e-mail LG AHEAD of time and get confirmation that if you have that issue within the first year that they will cover it. After 1 year I'd suggest getting some kind of private phone insurance. Since you live in the U.S., I'd suggest Square Trade as they cover if the phone you own goes bad. So bookmark that site and put a reminder on your calendar for yourself to sign up after 1 year from when your V30's manufacturer's warranty starts. I'll admit, it is more convenient not to have an extra device, but I'd only take that option if the phone had more to offer than JUST great audio. That's up to you to decide.

You could certainly buy off the Meze site, but I bought mine off Amazon (make sure to choose a seller like Meze that doesn't charge shipping or tax) because I have their Amazon Prime Store Card which allows me to pay off the headphones in interest-free monthly installments (must be paid off within 6 mos to avoid interest charges). Also, Meze charges for shipping, but most of the sellers on Amazon (even Meze) don't, so go with Amazon. I get free 2-day shipping since I have Amazon Prime, but either way you should get it within a week I'm guessing, or sooner.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #3,058 of 7,702
how do these compare to the oppo pm-3?

unfortunately i have no way of auditioning these. price isnt an issue, i just want something with a decent sound signature. I really love the signature of the senn hd-650. strongly dislike something like the b&w p7 which has far far far too much bass. i like clarity but i'll be listening to these in an office setting while working so i wont be able to pay too much attention anyway.

which do you suggest?

Sep 4, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #3,059 of 7,702
how do these compare to the oppo pm-3?

unfortunately i have no way of auditioning these. price isnt an issue, i just want something with a decent sound signature. I really love the signature of the senn hd-650. strongly dislike something like the b&w p7 which has far far far too much bass. i like clarity but i'll be listening to these in an office setting while working so i wont be able to pay too much attention anyway.

which do you suggest?

hey array,

I've owned both the Oppo PM-3 and the Meze 99 Classics (and also the wired B&W P7), and I can say without ANY doubt that the 99 Classics are the superior headphone vs. the PM-3 (and P7), AND they're cheaper too!

The 99 Classics have a wider soundstage than the PM-3 does (and even wider than my AKG K55X headphones), and also it handles bass better. By that I mean it isolates it perfectly and has the right amount of "bass punch". In checking my old notes/posts on the PM-3, I saw that it wasn't as overly bassy as my former Sony MDR-1A headphones, but still too bassy vs. the more neutral AKG K553. In one spot, I saw that I'd mentioned that: "When playing acoustic guitar & vocal songs (I played a wide range of rock in each session), I seemed to notice that sometimes the PM-3's bass sound from the acoustic guitar would steal just a bit of the clarity from the vocals". This is NOT an issue with the 99 Classics. At least not for me.

I started out liking more bass a lot a few years ago, then thought neutral was better since so many headphones I'd tried that had any bass would always end up being too bassy. But when I heard about and tried out the 99 Cs a few months ago, ALL that changed.

So my advice is to get the 99 Cs and don't look back. This review I wrote on the 99 Cs should answer all your other questions, and then some. I strongly suggest trying out my custom EQ (at least the main one) on Poweramp (or any 10-band EQ player app) as that is what it took to make these sound perfect. Poweramp is my preferred player app.

Hope this helped!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back