Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Sep 6, 2017 at 7:51 AM Post #3,076 of 7,703
just to confirm, these pads?: https://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Sheepskin-Leather-Angled-Memory/dp/B01J53WTUQ/

Meze has been great and sent me the very latest *slightly* larger pads a while back. I'd still like something a bit larger. a tad less bass is ok with me.

I ordered several brainwavz pads and sent them all back so far.

I wish they would fold flat for travel. I do not travel with them anymore, just a bit too large for the carry-on.

Yep. Those are the ones.

Sep 6, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #3,078 of 7,703
Was listening to the 99c with the iDSD BL and i must say he pairing is really really good.

Do they really need an amp? Is there much improvement?
Could you ever imagine using BASS boost with these? Are you using 3D?

Last night I had the 99 Classics and the iFi Micro iCAN SE in the shopping cart and was about to check out when I chickened out. It is, to me, a fair bit of money and I am unsure of the pairing. I have never heard the headphones and wonder if they will be too bassy. I don't do hip hop or EDM. I do rock and some pop. My favourite instrument is the voice. I am also getting into jazz, but only horns.

I will need an amp for my upcoming HD6XX and I was told the bass boost might be nice for my SR325E'S.

Not sure if the 99 Classics will be right for me. Any input?

Thanks!

Shane D

Sep 6, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #3,079 of 7,703
just to confirm, these pads?: https://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Sheepskin-Leather-Angled-Memory/dp/B01J53WTUQ/

Meze has been great and sent me the very latest *slightly* larger pads a while back. I'd still like something a bit larger. a tad less bass is ok with me.

I ordered several brainwavz pads and sent them all back so far.

I wish they would fold flat for travel. I do not travel with them anymore, just a bit too large for the carry-on.
I'm sorry to say, I too bought these sheepskin pads (although not the "angled" ones) and they basically ruined the headphones. Ok maybe that is too extreme but they certainly took all the fun out of them, leaving a dull and boring sound stage. I think most of the change is due to your ears being much further away from the drivers than Meze originally had designed. Unfortunately the stock pads (and the "larger" pads they sent) are both too small for my average sized ears and become unbearable after an hour or so. Shame because the drivers are amazing. I'll be selling mine shortly when I finally work up the motivation. Back to my ATH-M50xs for now ... :)

Sep 6, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #3,080 of 7,703
I'm sorry to say, I too bought these sheepskin pads (although not the "angled" ones) and they basically ruined the headphones. Ok maybe that is too extreme but they certainly took all the fun out of them, leaving a dull and boring sound stage. I think most of the change is due to your ears being much further away from the drivers than Meze originally had designed. Unfortunately the stock pads (and the "larger" pads they sent) are both too small for my average sized ears and become unbearable after an hour or so. Shame because the drivers are amazing. I'll be selling mine shortly when I finally work up the motivation. Back to my ATH-M50xs for now ... :)

I kinda agree with thehamubrglar (I also bought the non-angled ones). I dunno about "ruined", but they definitely didn't sound as good as the stock one with my custom EQ. It sounded flat, and I mean that in a bad way, not a good "flat/neutral" sound.

That sux that even the larger ear pads aren't big enough for you. I find them to be fine (larger ones), but I wouldn't mind them being a TINY bit bigger, but I don't need them to be though.

Oh well. lol

Sep 6, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #3,081 of 7,703
I kinda agree with thehamubrglar (I also bought the non-angled ones). I dunno about "ruined", but they definitely didn't sound as good as the stock one with my custom EQ. It sounded flat, and I mean that in a bad way, not a good "flat/neutral" sound.

That sux that even the larger ear pads aren't big enough for you. I find them to be fine (larger ones), but I wouldn't mind them being a TINY bit bigger, but I don't need them to be though.

Oh well. lol
I'm hoping to make most of my money back - being that they are in great condition and also the Maple/Silver variant which were recently discontinued. We shall see. :) I will have to find another closed-back headphone that won't require me to sacrifice sound quality for comfort (not a diss on Meze, more-so my own damn ears!).

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #3,082 of 7,703
I'm hoping to make most of my money back - being that they are in great condition and also the Maple/Silver variant which were recently discontinued. We shall see. :) I will have to find another closed-back headphone that won't require me to sacrifice sound quality for comfort (not a diss on Meze, more-so my own damn ears!).

Yeah I hope you do get top dollar on them. Oh you got the Maple/Silver ones? That should sell for more b/c they're kinda hard to find now since yeah, Meze discontinued that model.

How did you get the larger (white) pads for the Maple/Silver one? I'd read they only made the smaller (original) pads in that color for that model.

Well within the $300-$500 price range the only ones I could think of that I'd suggest you look into are the Mitchell and Johnson MJ2 Portable Electrostatic Headphones, which are made in London. They are like electrostatic headphones but they are combined with cone drivers (aka "hybrid electrostats"), so they don't have the high power requirements that electrostatic headphones do, but offer the same high level of clarity. I've never tried them, but am interested to, one day. They seem pretty well-rated in both online reviews and here on Head-Fi. I would say they're AT least worth checking out as they also have wooden ear cups, and they are closed-back low-impedance headphones as well. One Head-Fi'er from that thread mentioned to me that the soundstage isn't vast, but that he felt what it lacked in soundstage it added back in greater detail than he's ever heard from headphones.

You can buy them on (U.S.) Amazon here. Let us know what you get when you do and how it compares to the 99 Cs.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #3,083 of 7,703
Been humming and hawing for a while and finally gave up.
Ordered the 99's and the iFi Micro iCAN SE. But they have to travel almost 4,000Kms. Some time next week...

I am Very excited about this purchase! Spent more than I meant to and I don't really need an amp yet, but they both sound super interesting.

Of course this is a very personal hobby and I can only hope that I like both pieces.

Shane D

Sep 6, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #3,084 of 7,703
i am most certain, from my taste of the ifi sound and going by my experience with the BL, the 99c will be a great pairing with the iCAN SE.

Sep 7, 2017 at 7:09 AM Post #3,085 of 7,703
i am most certain, from my taste of the ifi sound and going by my experience with the BL, the 99c will be a great pairing with the iCAN SE.
A very detailed June 2017 review on Amazon by "A Guy" finds him favoring the Koss Pro4S over the 99's. Interesting read. I now find myself placing the potential purchase of the Classic on hold. For the moment.

Sep 7, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #3,086 of 7,703
A very detailed June 2017 review on Amazon by "A Guy" finds him favoring the Koss Pro4S over the 99's. Interesting read. I now find myself placing the potential purchase of the Classic on hold. For the moment.
Interesting. May i have the link if you don't mind.

Sep 7, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #3,087 of 7,703

Well that intrigued me enough to place an order with Amazon UK. I did NOT need another headphone...especially since I have been getting into IEMs and buds a bit. Never believed before that they could actually sound good. I have memories of the horrible ones that were included with various devices back in the day.

The Koss will arrive tomorrow. I just had to take up the challenge to compare them with my Neo and my husband's Classics (if he lets me borrow them). I need to quit reading these threads!

BTW I cannot do the detailed critical comparisons that some of you do or expect. I will probably just get swept into the music and forget to compare.

Sep 7, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #3,088 of 7,703

Hey Mudd...........thanks for sharing. These sound interesting! I'm always looking for headphones to add to my "Best Of" list, in all different price ranges. IF these actually can outdo the $309 99 Cs for only $146, that would be something. After taking a quick look, I do like the D-shaped ear pads, the detachable cable option, that it also comes with its own hard case, the comfort seems to be there too (per many reviews), the also low impedance rating, and the sound quality appears to be great as well. But I WILL say this about the 99 Cs...........as mentioned in my review, it was only AFTER I applied a custom EQ of mine onto the 99 Cs that they really sounded good. Initially, I was impressed but didn't think they were better than my AKG K551s, but the EQ changed all of that in an instant!

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #3,089 of 7,703
Well that intrigued me enough to place an order with Amazon UK. I did NOT need another headphone...especially since I have been getting into IEMs and buds a bit. Never believed before that they could actually sound good. I have memories of the horrible ones that were included with various devices back in the day.

The Koss will arrive tomorrow. I just had to take up the challenge to compare them with my Neo and my husband's Classics (if he lets me borrow them). I need to quit reading these threads!

BTW I cannot do the detailed critical comparisons that some of you do or expect. I will probably just get swept into the music and forget to compare.

Hey MB..........nice! Please let us know what you think of them.

That's cool that you have the Neo to compare it to, though I wish you had the 99 Cs. lol Still, they are very close in sound signature from what I've read, so it should be a good comparison.

Just do what you can lol................................

BTW, you have A LOT of headphones (and other stuff too)!! lol A few of the ones listed I've owned in the past too. Not sure if we've talked about this already or not, but yeah..............the B&O 2nd Gen & the Senn HD 598 SE I've both owned at one point. So which headphones do you listen to the most?

Sep 7, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #3,090 of 7,703
That's cool that you have the Neo to compare it to, though I wish you had the 99 Cs. lol Still, they are very close in sound signature from what I've read, so it should be a good comparison.

Yeah but as I said, I do have access to my husbands 99 Classics as well.

BTW, you have A LOT of headphones (and other stuff too)!! lol A few of the ones listed I've owned in the past too. Not sure if we've talked about this already or not, but yeah..............the B&O 2nd Gen & the Senn HD 598 SE I've both owned at one point. So which headphones do you listen to the most?

I can't answer that question right now as I like them all for various reasons and I have gotten too much too fast... damn headfi!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back