Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Sep 8, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #3,106 of 7,703
Well it looks like my search continues, as I was under the impression the Fostex TH-X00 were CLOSED back. Apparently they are actually semi-closed, so these won't work for my office environment. :frowning2: Might just have to stick with my ATH-M50x.

I dunno man. What's your budget range? How high can you go? If you can go higher, I would recommend the following (all from my list):

$782 Beyerdynamic T5p Tesla (1st Generation) (That price is on U.S. Amazon. I believe these to be superior to the 99 Cs, but they are more pricey too.)

About $810 (with shipping) MrSpeakers AEON Flow (These are what I believe to be the BEST headphones you can buy for under $1000 ((or even higher perhaps??)))

I would research both of these and then see. If they are too high, then I dunno man. lol I only have a couple headphones in my $300-$500 range for closed-back, and they are the 99 Cs and the MJ2s. lol Prob better off getting the 99 Cs to be honest since those cost way more.

Sep 8, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #3,107 of 7,703
Hi guys.

My 99 Classics walnut silver have not seen much action lately. Too bassy for my setup and not so comfortable for my big head.

They were modded to receive larger connectors. They have some scraping just below the connector hole caused by the larger connector i used with my diy balanced cable, otherwise, they are top shape. I will include the original metal part that guide the connectors in as well as the new ones featuring a larger opening. No reasonable offer will be refused, PM me is interested. It will come with the standard cable, 2 of them actually. I don't have the one with volume control anymore however. Comes also with the box, standard accessories and case.

Sep 8, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #3,108 of 7,703
Hi guys.

My 99 Classics walnut silver have not seen much action lately. Too bassy for my setup and not so comfortable for my big head.

They were modded to receive larger connectors. They have some scraping just below the connector hole caused by the larger connector i used with my diy balanced cable, otherwise, they are top shape. I will include the original metal part that guide the connectors in as well as the new ones featuring a larger opening. No reasonable offer will be refused, PM me is interested. It will come with the standard cable, 2 of them actually. I don't have the one with volume control anymore however. Comes also with the box, standard accessories and case.
Did you try getting after market pads like the Brainwavz ones? They seem to make the fit a lot more comfortable and does away with the excess bassy feeling.

Sep 8, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #3,109 of 7,703
Just want to remind you good folks, especially new Classics owners, if you find the bass too much, give it time for the pads to break-in. Fresh out of the box both the 99 Classics with original small(ish) pads as well as the 3rd gen larger ones had too much bass. It was by no means bad, but too much for my taste, so much so I called Meze out and said their F.R. graph on the box needed adjustment. However, once the pads softened up the bass was tamed and overall the response was more controlled. I will say though that the newer 3rd gen pads do have a couple of dB of bass over the original ones; It's why I have the originals tucked away safe and treat them like the good silver and China ware.

I ordered the Brainwavz (regular pleather) and they should arrive tomorrow (love Amazon Prime!). I purchased them not so much for the Mezes' per say, rather it's nice to have a pair laying around that are basically a universal fit for many cans. Plus $35 CND is a stellar deal! When I have the time I will most definitely post my impressions, along with my home made 7N OCC cable, which got sidetracked due to me catching a killer gut virus that has been making me feel like I have a bad hangover for 3-4 days straight.

:metal::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sep 8, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #3,110 of 7,703
Just want to remind you good folks, especially new Classics owners, if you find the bass too much, give it time for the pads to break-in. Fresh out of the box both the 99 Classics with original small(ish) pads as well as the 3rd gen larger ones had too much bass. It was by no means bad, but too much for my taste, so much so I called Meze out and said their F.R. graph on the box needed adjustment. However, once the pads softened up the bass was tamed and overall the response was more controlled. I will say though that the newer 3rd gen pads do have a couple of dB of bass over the original ones; It's why I have the originals tucked away safe and treat them like the good silver and China ware.

I ordered the Brainwavz (regular pleather) and they should arrive tomorrow (love Amazon Prime!). I purchased them not so much for the Mezes' per say, rather it's nice to have a pair laying around that are basically a universal fit for many cans. Plus $35 CND is a stellar deal! When I have the time I will most definitely post my impressions, along with my home made 7N OCC cable, which got sidetracked due to me catching a killer gut virus that has been making me feel like I have a bad hangover for 3-4 days straight.

:metal::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Would love to get your impressions on this. I like my brainwavz pleather pads and the amount of bass taming involved. And yes i remember that cable you were going to work on. Its done? that is great news indeed. Hope you feel better soon.

Sep 8, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #3,111 of 7,703
Would love to get your impressions on this. I like my brainwavz pleather pads and the amount of bass taming involved. And yes i remember that cable you were going to work on. Its done? that is great news indeed. Hope you feel better soon.

Ya, it's going to be interesting how they sound, especially in comparison to the originals. What I am hoping for is original sound with the added comfort. In regards to the cable, I finished it the night I originally posted. The problem was (before I caught the plague) that the jack openings are small so I had to use very minimal solder and only 1 layer of heat shrink, and even then it was a super tight fit. Going back and forth between the pack-in cable and the one I made caused the solder welds to come lose, and thus I had to re-do my work 4 times. Going down to the basement all them times lit a fire in me and I was compelled to do some long-weekend cleaning. Then Death caught me... So this weekend is my recovery, and I can't think of a better way to get my groove back than with the 99 Classics.

IMG_1988.JPG

It's pretty ghetto, but it works! It's just a "test cable" for now, and not what I will be using permanently. Full impressions to come.

:metal::sunglasses:

Sep 8, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #3,112 of 7,703
Ya, it's going to be interesting how they sound, especially in comparison to the originals. What I am hoping for is original sound with the added comfort. In regards to the cable, I finished it the night I originally posted. The problem was (before I caught the plague) that the jack openings are small so I had to use very minimal solder and only 1 layer of heat shrink, and even then it was a super tight fit. Going back and forth between the pack-in cable and the one I made caused the solder welds to come lose, and thus I had to re-do my work 4 times. Going down to the basement all them times lit a fire in me and I was compelled to do some long-weekend cleaning. Then Death caught me... So this weekend is my recovery, and I can't think of a better way to get my groove back than with the 99 Classics.

It's pretty ghetto, but it works! It's just a "test cable" for now, and not what I will be using permanently. Full impressions to come.

:metal::sunglasses:
Cables look great to me! Good job for a test cable i must say. Please do let me know what you think about the sounds once your earpads arrive and you get time with them. Hope you recover from that virus soon.

Sep 8, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #3,113 of 7,703
Took some photos from various angles of the pads installed, for those who are curious about these but haven't quite decided.

Meze 99 Classics using Brainwavz Angled Sheepskin Memory Foam Pads:

Brainwavz & 99C 01.jpg

Brainwavz & 99C 02.jpg

Brainwavz & 99C 03.jpg

Brainwavz & 99C 04.jpg

They may not look like they fit as secure as the stock pads, but I have had no slippage, and no need to readjust. They are on quite well.

Sep 9, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #3,115 of 7,703
Sep 9, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #3,116 of 7,703
Sep 9, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #3,118 of 7,703

Users who are viewing this thread

Back