Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Sep 9, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #3,121 of 7,704
Can't wait for the Meze custom balanced Copper cable ! It will go from the 99 Classics to the Fiio X7 MKII ! :darthsmile::beerchug: Cheers !
Please let me know how you like them when you get them.

Sep 9, 2017 at 4:21 AM Post #3,125 of 7,704
Hi guys.

My 99 Classics walnut silver have not seen much action lately. Too bassy for my setup and not so comfortable for my big head.

They were modded to receive larger connectors. They have some scraping just below the connector hole caused by the larger connector i used with my diy balanced cable, otherwise, they are top shape. I will include the original metal part that guide the connectors in as well as the new ones featuring a larger opening. No reasonable offer will be refused, PM me is interested. It will come with the standard cable, 2 of them actually. I don't have the one with volume control anymore however. Comes also with the box, standard accessories and case.

Before you sell Fred, check this out (and try out that EQ)!! It might change your mind, like it did mine.

Sep 9, 2017 at 7:29 AM Post #3,126 of 7,704
My offer is off until i tried them with the Brainwavz pads, which are one their way.

I am not a fan of equalizing nor is it practical for me. I also drive speakers with the same source i use for the cans, and other cans as,well and it's a living room setup.

Sep 9, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #3,127 of 7,704
My offer is off until i tried them with the Brainwavz pads, which are one their way.

I am not a fan of equalizing nor is it practical for me. I also drive speakers with the same source i use for the cans, and other cans as,well and it's a living room setup.

Hopefully they work out for you then.

Ok. I don't enjoy equalizing either but with these 99 Cs I saw way too much potential in them to return them so quickly. Honestly, I basically just took the "Rock" EQ preset in Poweramp as a starting point and mainly just tweaked the bass and treble EQ bands a little. I also dipped down the Preamp band a tad just to give the treble a little more isolation/control. So it wasn't that much work since I used "Rock" as a template.

But again, good luck and hopefully those Brainwavz change your mind.

Sep 9, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #3,128 of 7,704
Took some photos from various angles of the pads installed, for those who are curious about these but haven't quite decided.

Meze 99 Classics using Brainwavz Angled Sheepskin Memory Foam Pads:

They may not look like they fit as secure as the stock pads, but I have had no slippage, and no need to readjust. They are on quite well.

Thanks for sharing! Pardon my ignorance, with the angled-pad, what direction is the angled parts?

I mean, say if you put it on, the "thicker" side of the pad is... resting at the back of your head?

I'm curious as the original pads are not angled. It would seems the 'common' choice of alternative pads (e.g. from Brainwavz) would be the non-angled ones?

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #3,129 of 7,704
Thanks for sharing! Pardon my ignorance, with the angled-pad, what direction is the angled parts?

I mean, say if you put it on, the "thicker" side of the pad is... resting at the back of your head?

I'm curious as the original pads are not angled. It would seems the 'common' choice of alternative pads (e.g. from Brainwavz) would be the non-angled ones?

Yes the thick side goes behind your ear, angling the drivers at your ears.

I ordered some non-angled from the last MassDrop. They should be on their way to me now. I'll let you know how I like them.

Sep 9, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #3,130 of 7,704
Sep 9, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #3,131 of 7,704
Hopefully they work out for you then.

Ok. I don't enjoy equalizing either but with these 99 Cs I saw way too much potential in them to return them so quickly. Honestly, I basically just took the "Rock" EQ preset in Poweramp as a starting point and mainly just tweaked the bass and treble EQ bands a little. I also dipped down the Preamp band a tad just to give the treble a little more isolation/control. So it wasn't that much work since I used "Rock" as a template.

But again, good luck and hopefully those Brainwavz change your mind.

Yes, it could. Just a bit less bass and more comfort and i could really really like them. They sound very natural. They don't have a big soundstage like the k701 but they are doing something good with that regard. They are close to excellent. Besides the lack of comfort (heat and tighness), noise from the metal frame, and the excess of bass, there is not much to complain about.

I like the way those Brainwavz look on the Meze. A little oversized but with it, the Meze look more high-end. I know they will be more fresh with them and this will be a great improvement by itself.

Sep 9, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #3,132 of 7,704
Sep 9, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #3,133 of 7,704
Yes, it could. Just a bit less bass and more comfort and i could really really like them. They sound very natural. They don't have a big soundstage like the k701 but they are doing something good with that regard. They are close to excellent. Besides the lack of comfort (heat and tighness), noise from the metal frame, and the excess of bass, there is not much to complain about.

I like the way those Brainwavz look on the Meze. A little oversized but with it, the Meze look more high-end. I know they will be more fresh with them and this will be a great improvement by itself.

Yeah. but you have to remember that the K701 is an open-back headphone, so it's really apple & oranges with the soundstage aspect.

I wouldn't mind the ear pads to be SLIGHTLY SLIGHTLY bigger, but they are big enough that I find them to be quite comfortable. But the Brainwavz sheepskin leather ones I got (non-angled) were very comfortable, but yeah it just threw everything off for me in terms sound with my EQ. I don't really hear any noise from the metal frame, but I'll pay more attention from now on. The bass thing.............I had that issue, which was one of the main reasons why I even bothered to go the custom EQ route.

Yeah they are but not too big looking at least. Again, I hope they don't disappoint.

Sep 9, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #3,134 of 7,704
Very interested to see @PinkyPowers try out the non-angled ones as i have to so to get a sound comparison would be great if i need to change pads. After all Pinky the 99cs were your recommendation. :wink:

Sep 9, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #3,135 of 7,704
Hey guys
Haven't even looked or tried, but how do you replace the pads on these? Are they glued, on rings? Is there a trick? I have a pair of brainwaz sheepskin angled laying around I may want to try with these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back