Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Aug 27, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #2,971 of 7,695
Yes I would not wear them on the road but they still are a very nice choice for someone wanting an open pair at home.
An in ear (or are there open in ears?) will not make you safer or the road. Does Sennheiser still do open portables? Of course if a headphone is open then wind can be a problem with the sound.

Are the smaller Koss porta pros open?
Yes good idea, Koss PortaPro is open, also Sennheiser they have open portable PX 100 II , but not close (I think )them would resemble to Meze signature.
I am curios also about the new Meze open back headphones they will release soon.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #2,972 of 7,695
Yeah, the Porta Pro would be my recommendation for open on ears as well.

Aug 27, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #2,973 of 7,695
Or you could go for good earbuds, I really like my OurArt Ti7 as they sound terrific yet you can hear everything around you

Aug 27, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #2,974 of 7,695
Or you could go for good earbuds, I really like my OurArt Ti7 as they sound terrific yet you can hear everything around you

Yes, i was thinking of iems when I said they would be too isolating. I just got my first buds this week.i need to see if my experience will be the same as yours. Anyway, mine are pink so I won't recommend them to Nicolof. Actually they are rose gold.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2017 at 3:54 AM Post #2,975 of 7,695
I want to have also on open back headphone, on ear, for walking safely on the road, Any idea with similar signature like Meze more or less ?
Tricky and you don't say how much you want to spend. How about the Sennheiser HD238 or 239? Open backed, on ear, lightweight and not too expensive. Wont sound like the 99s as they wont have the remarkable bass, but...........try out a few till you find one you like.

Aug 28, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #2,977 of 7,695
Incidentally a good pair of open back planars are on massdrop as a very reasonable price.

Aug 28, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #2,978 of 7,695
Speaking of interesting things upcoming from Meze, this one looks VERY interesting guys - looking forward to more news on this...

20786005_1426938870676082_4699320348303507286_o.jpg
OH. SNAP....... I remember having a convo with with one of the Meze reps at CanJam NY about an open back they were working on. I REALLY hope this is the development of what he said they were intending.

@MezeTeam you guys able to make it to RMAF in October? I didn't see your name on the exhibitor list, but didn't know how updated that list is. I really hope to hear this thing and chat with you.

I was supporting you guys on the streets of Time Square after CanJam btw, I forgot my buddy took this pic!
IMG_5887.JPG
I think it was the tallest buildboard in Time Square LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 29, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #2,979 of 7,695
Tricky and you don't say how much you want to spend. How about the Sennheiser HD238 or 239? Open backed, on ear, lightweight and not too expensive. Wont sound like the 99s as they wont have the remarkable bass, but...........try out a few till you find one you like.
Where I live I cannot try before. I have to buy first. Just ordered Yamaha HPH 200. open back portable, hope is good.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #2,980 of 7,695
Where I live I cannot try before. I have to buy first. Just ordered Yamaha HPH 200. open back portable, hope is good.

That seems like a good choice. I really like my HPH MT220s (not portable). Let us know what you think.

Aug 29, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #2,981 of 7,695
Finally got around to modding my Meze 99 Classics today. I am very happy with the results.

I was never happy with the sound since I had purchased them, but loved the looks, comfort, and how easy they are to drive. The part I hated was that the bass bled into the mids with the newer larger earpads. It was a complete disappointment from all the positive reviews I had read which referenced an older earpad design. So they just sat for a few months.

Today, I opened them up. The bass port on the back of the drivers were wide open. I cut round discs of masking tape to cover each of the the bass port holes on the back of each driver. I experimented some, but came away with using a hole size of a T3 hex bit for the new size of the bass port. This essentially made the bass port holes about 25% smaller. The result was still having the fun punching bass, but reduced the bleed over. They now sound like I thought they should have sounded like. FYI, in case anyone else wants to experiment with a completely reversible mod.

Aug 29, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #2,982 of 7,695
Finally got around to modding my Meze 99 Classics today. I am very happy with the results.

I was never happy with the sound since I had purchased them, but loved the looks, comfort, and how easy they are to drive. The part I hated was that the bass bled into the mids with the newer larger earpads. It was a complete disappointment from all the positive reviews I had read which referenced an older earpad design. So they just sat for a few months.

Today, I opened them up. The bass port on the back of the drivers were wide open. I cut round discs of masking tape to cover each of the the bass port holes on the back of each driver. I experimented some, but came away with using a hole size of a T3 hex bit for the new size of the bass port. This essentially made the bass port holes about 25% smaller. The result was still having the fun punching bass, but reduced the bleed over. They now sound like I thought they should have sounded like. FYI, in case anyone else wants to experiment with a completely reversible mod.

I don't know if I dare to mod them at the moment, but do you happen to have a step by step of the modding process with pictures?

Aug 29, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #2,984 of 7,695
Coming back with the second set of news, this time for a new product, something that we've been asked if we could do and we took up the challenge.

So, without further ado, here you have them, an upcoming line of Meze Audio IEMs. Official name, specs, and price point will be released in due time. Which is your favorite?

%255BUNSET%255D

%255BUNSET%255D

%255BUNSET%255D

%255BUNSET%255D

Been keeping the low-down because of a nasty eye infection, and I come back to this! Damnnnnnn! Those look amazeballs! Elegant, stunning, classy, with a removable cable!! Will definitely be keeping an eye open for the inevitable up-coming tour!

Aug 29, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #2,985 of 7,695
Speaking of interesting things upcoming from Meze, this one looks VERY interesting guys - looking forward to more news on this...

20786005_1426938870676082_4699320348303507286_o.jpg

Ok, ok....ok.... enough Meze, just stop with all this awesomeness! I can't afford what's in the box! Not sure what it is, but I want!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back