Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Jun 23, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #2,521 of 7,696
Guys give this a try.

Jun 24, 2017 at 6:16 AM Post #2,522 of 7,696
So, I listened to how @Dobrescu George equalized Meze, but that is already too far from the original Meze's sound, at least for my ears. After a few good hours of analyzing M99C with sine waves, pink noise and a few of my favorite songs, I did this piece of parametric equalizing you will be seeing below. I've lowered the bass, of course and fixed a few uneven sectors in the mid and upper range. Overall, the sound did not change too much - it tamed the bass a little and added a few more sparkle in the tremble. I find the original Meze sound quite pleasing and remarkably even, so no significant changes are needed, like for my old DT880. Feel free to try this and also adjust it to your ears.

Filter 4: ON LS Fc 120 Hz Gain -3 dB
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 3874 Hz Gain 2 dB Q 10.41
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 3163 Hz Gain -2 dB Q 8.41
Filter 10: ON PK Fc 4755 Hz Gain -6 dB Q 7.41
Filter 11: ON PK Fc 7130 Hz Gain -3 dB Q 8.41
Filter 12: ON PK Fc 8854 Hz Gain 3 dB Q 7.41

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #2,523 of 7,696
So, I listened to how @Dobrescu George equalized Meze, but that is already too far from the original Meze's sound, at least for my ears. After a few good hours of analyzing M99C with sine waves, pink noise and a few of my favorite songs, I did this piece of parametric equalizing you will be seeing below. I've lowered the bass, of course and fixed a few uneven sectors in the mid and upper range. Overall, the sound did not change too much - it tamed the bass a little and added a few more sparkle in the tremble. I find the original Meze sound quite pleasing and remarkably even, so no significant changes are needed, like for my old DT880. Feel free to try this and also adjust it to your ears.

Filter 4: ON LS Fc 120 Hz Gain -3 dB
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 3874 Hz Gain 2 dB Q 10.41
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 3163 Hz Gain -2 dB Q 8.41
Filter 10: ON PK Fc 4755 Hz Gain -6 dB Q 7.41
Filter 11: ON PK Fc 7130 Hz Gain -3 dB Q 8.41
Filter 12: ON PK Fc 8854 Hz Gain 3 dB Q 7.41

Hey there,

No worries!

I'm basing my EQ curves and guides on Sennheiser ie800, which is by nature a pretty sparkly IEM, but since I listened to music live and even played, a strong and energizing cymbal crash is something I want.

In the meanwhile, we should all appreciate how much EQ 99C can take - I can barely add 2-4 dB of EQ to some IEMs before they start distorting, so 99C is great because you can control its sound.

Your curve, while interesting, has the midrange pushed slightly more back than what I usually do - pushing that 4kHz and 7kHz so much in the back doesn't bode so well with guitar solos - but I do listen to a lot of metal and rock and such, but it should / might work well with other types of music.

Jun 24, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #2,524 of 7,696
Hey there,

No worries!

I'm basing my EQ curves and guides on Sennheiser ie800, which is by nature a pretty sparkly IEM, but since I listened to music live and even played, a strong and energizing cymbal crash is something I want.

In the meanwhile, we should all appreciate how much EQ 99C can take - I can barely add 2-4 dB of EQ to some IEMs before they start distorting, so 99C is great because you can control its sound.

Your curve, while interesting, has the midrange pushed slightly more back than what I usually do - pushing that 4kHz and 7kHz so much in the back doesn't bode so well with guitar solos - but I do listen to a lot of metal and rock and such, but it should / might work well with other types of music.

You're quite right about Meze taking equalization without much trouble. I couldn't elevate bass response by the same 3dB on DT880 without lowering the preamp. No need for that on Meze, even with your preset. While what you're saying about guitars is true, I was mostly interested to get a relevant representation of guitars vs voices. In the original signature, guitars are positioned in front of vocals and I ”pushed” them a little back. You see, it is all down to one's personal preferences, for me vocals being the most essential and representative aspect of these cans.

Jun 24, 2017 at 8:33 AM Post #2,525 of 7,696
You're quite right about Meze taking equalization without much trouble. I couldn't elevate bass response by the same 3dB on DT880 without lowering the preamp. No need for that on Meze, even with your preset. While what you're saying about guitars is true, I was mostly interested to get a relevant representation of guitars vs voices. In the original signature, guitars are positioned in front of vocals and I ”pushed” them a little back. You see, it is all down to one's personal preferences, for me vocals being the most essential and representative aspect of these cans.

Of course, as long as you're happy with the results you're getting, that is what matters!

There will never be right or wrong, only what we like and want to get!

Jun 24, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #2,526 of 7,696
"for me vocals being the most essential and representative aspect of these cans."
So interesting, for me the energetic bass and the good soundstage , nice mids and relaxing treble is the reason I like with them very much.
It seems people like Meze 99 for different aspects of them.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2017 at 5:52 AM Post #2,528 of 7,696
Last night I was comparing this headphones with others in my collection (very analytical headphones like He400I, k550, Etymotic HF5...) and I was trying to achieved the same analytical sound it the Mezes. Finally, with a little changes of Dobrescu George´s EQ parameters I was able to get this kind of sound and the result was quite nice.

But at the end of the night I realized that all those changes made the headphones lose its own identity. Not all should sound analytical, the good thing of the Meze 99 Classics are that they are musical and fun.

So, in result, I have decided to stop equalizing them and get used to their sound which is very good indeed. Different and far from analytical but completely enjoyable.

Jun 26, 2017 at 6:36 AM Post #2,529 of 7,696
Last night I was comparing this headphones with others in my collection (very analytical headphones like He400I, k550, Etymotic HF5...) and I was trying to achieved the same analytical sound it the Mezes. Finally, with a little changes of Dobrescu George´s EQ parameters I was able to get this kind of sound and the result was quite nice.

But at the end of the night I realized that all those changes made the headphones lose its own identity. Not all should sound analytical, the good thing of the Meze 99 Classics are that they are musical and fun.

So, in result, I have decided to stop equalizing them and get used to their sound which is very good indeed. Different and far from analytical but completely enjoyable.

I agree with you. I will say more: a sound signature can fit a headphone model and be almost unbearable on another. I've had the chance to compare Bayerdynamic T1(1st gen) and Bayerdynamic T5p (sec gen). They sound almost the same but while on T1 this is heaven, with high frequencies bathing your ears like a summer rain, T5p sound harsh and congested. You cannot fit the same sound signature in all headphones. That's why Meze will never sound really good if equalized, say, like AKG K712 or Sennheiser ie800.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #2,530 of 7,696
I agree with you. I will say more: a sound signature can fit a headphone model and be almost unbearable on another. I've had the chance to compare Bayerdynamic T1(1st gen) and Bayerdynamic T5p (sec gen). They sound almost the same but while on T1 this is heaven, with high frequencies bathing your ears like a summer rain, T5p sound harsh and congested. You cannot fit the same sound signature in all headphones. That's why Meze will never sound really good if equalized, say, like AKG K712 or Sennheiser ie800.

I kindly disagree when it comes to sound - 99C takes far more EQ than anything else I ever had in my hands - and I had a ton of headphones...

While I have not tested K712, I know that ie800 doesn't take EQ at all, ie800 sounds perfect by default, the only things I probably wouldn't EQ.

This again, just shows a difference in expectations and tastes, there will never be a right or wrong when it comes to subjective tastes - just different ways people like this.

As long as you are happy with them, that is all that matters!

As I said above, as long as you're happy with the sound you're getting, that is all that matters!

I don't think that even with my EQ the sound could ever be considered analytical, 99C will always have tons of bass and fun, regardless of how much EQ they take, but that's probably just a subjective opinion formed after owning tons of high end IEMs and headphones.

My advice for happiness is to always trust your ears and do what you feel is best go with what you love best and enjoy life and music to the fullest!

Jun 26, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #2,532 of 7,696
The Opus#1 or Cayin i5 are easy recommendations.

Jun 26, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #2,533 of 7,696
Cayin I5 can do very well with 99m
But I suspect so can Onkyo DPX1A. But DP1A is more expensive the newest model.

Also I'm going to be very disappointed in Trinity Audio if I find myself liking Meze 99s more than their TOTL Phantom Master 6 IEM that I've been waiting since Jun 2016 to arrive.

Jun 26, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #2,534 of 7,696
I am torn between high end smartphones like, LG V10, LG V20, Grandbeat from Onkyo,or to go with dedicated DAP like Pioneer X300, Onkyo DP-X1 or S1. Any recommendation to complement the Meze?

There are lots of suitable DAPs out there!

I cannot recommend anything Cayin and the moment since I have never heard them, but I can safely recommend anything from FiiO and Opus and I'll study how good Hidizis AP200 and maybe M2s from Shanling in the near future.

Smartphones will not sound as good as a dedicated player, but they might be slightly more convenient in the long run

As for something that truly compliments 99Classics,

Opus #3,
FiiO X7+AM03
Anything digital + iDSD Black Label (Ultimate Sound)

This would be my list at the moment

Jun 26, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #2,535 of 7,696
There are lots of suitable DAPs out there!

I cannot recommend anything Cayin and the moment since I have never heard them, but I can safely recommend anything from FiiO and Opus and I'll study how good Hidizis AP200 and maybe M2s from Shanling in the near future.

Smartphones will not sound as good as a dedicated player, but they might be slightly more convenient in the long run

As for something that truly compliments 99Classics,

Opus #3,
FiiO X7+AM03
Anything digital + iDSD Black Label (Ultimate Sound)

This would be my list at the moment
Puzzle me more and more, I have seen only good things about iDSD Black Label

Users who are viewing this thread

Back