Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Jun 27, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #2,551 of 7,696
Wow the Kinden/Bosshifi b8

Also has tuning holes at the bottom! You can unclog for a different sound.

Actually those photos are of the on ear version...I think it is the b6 but not sure. My b8 does also have those holes but no info on what to do with them. I got mine from here
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GVA94FE/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item_image
But they are out of stock right now. I paid £69 a couple of months ago. Nice reviews and photos at that link. Almost bought them on ebay at the time but those were about £10 more and did not include the case. There is quite a bit of talk about them in the Chinese threads here.

Anyway, don't want to derail the Meze thread. I am loving my Mezes...I have the Neo. I love the bass. I find that when I play less bass heavy music the Meze does not add an artificial boost. I can still enjoy my more laid back music. They are very comfortable...right up there with my Nighthawks and Amirons.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #2,553 of 7,696
This was my impression of the differences
I have demos for both neo and classic as well for comparison as well. Also thank you Meze for letting me do this and re tweeting my comparison

Your review was interesting. As a Neo owner I will say that the bass is strong but I would not call it muddy. That word makes it seem like it is horrible. I find the bass very enjoyable and I am not a basshead. When I first listened, I was a bit overwhelmed by the bass but that also happened when I listened to my husbands Classics when he first got them. Now maybe My brain has adjusted or burn in is actually real. I do enjoy various sound signatures as you can see by looking at my profile list.

It is interesting that your Classic has less clamp than your Neo. Evern though my husband's Classic is a year older than my Neo , his Classic clamps just a bit more than my Neo. ...and,yes, he does have the larger pads not the original small ones. I am extremely happy with the comfort of mine. Comfort is even more important than sound for me. If a headphone hurts I can barely manage to,listen to three or four songs.

When I get a chance I may post a picture. You can actually see that his curves in more. I have not stretched mine.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #2,554 of 7,696
Your review was interesting. As a Neo owner I will say that the bass is strong but I would not call it muddy. That word makes it seem like it is horrible. I find the bass very enjoyable and I am not a basshead. When I first listened, I was a bit overwhelmed by the bass but that also happened when I listened to my husbands Classics when he first got them. Now maybe My brain has adjusted or burn in is actually real. I do enjoy various sound signatures as you can see by looking at my profile list.

It is interesting that your Classic has less clamp than your Neo. Evern though my husband's Classic is a year older than my Neo , his Classic clamps just a bit more than my Neo. ...and,yes, he does have the larger pads not the original small ones. I am extremely happy with the comfort of mine. Comfort is even more important than sound for me. If a headphone hurts I can barely manage to,listen to three or four songs.

When I get a chance I may post a picture. You can actually see that his curves in more. I have not stretched mine.
This was my impression of the differences
I have demos for both neo and classic as well for comparison as well. Also thank you Meze for letting me do this and re tweeting my comparison

Clamping force is the same after enough usage - but my 99Classics's band was a bit more relaxed than 99 Neo.

Honestly, after hearing over 100+ headphones, 99C and 99N have really good bass, no sign of muddiness or anything like it - although I do use them with some EQ.

Everyone hears things differently though - it really depends what one is looking for as well. For someone who used a really bass-shy headphone, 99C might have too much, but for a natural signature, they have a very good bass.

Jun 28, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #2,555 of 7,696
Guys I need some help. I came across this guy who says he can make me balanced cables for the 99c if I provide him with resource as to how the wiring works for balanced. Would any one of you be kind enough to point me to the right direction for this. I have 2 extra plugs that go into the 99s and want to give this a try.

Thanks

Jun 28, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #2,556 of 7,696
Clamping force is the same after enough usage - but my 99Classics's band was a bit more relaxed than 99 Neo.

Honestly, after hearing over 100+ headphones, 99C and 99N have really good bass, no sign of muddiness or anything like it - although I do use them with some EQ.

Everyone hears things differently though - it really depends what one is looking for as well. For someone who used a really bass-shy headphone, 99C might have too much, but for a natural signature, they have a very good bass.
What clamping force?

Jun 28, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #2,557 of 7,696
Guys I need some help. I came across this guy who says he can make me balanced cables for the 99c if I provide him with resource as to how the wiring works for balanced. Would any one of you be kind enough to point me to the right direction for this. I have 2 extra plugs that go into the 99s and want to give this a try.

Thanks

Meze is already selling official Balanced cables if you really want one.

The wiring should be tipically balanced afaik... Maybe @MezeTeam can chime in, but using custom balanced cables might impose some warranty problems...

What clamping force?

That is a very good question! 99C and 99N doesn't really have a clamping force per se, they are most likely some of the most comfortable headphones I've worn, they don't clamp hard like, say, M50X series or other headphones that do lamp - 99C and 99N just sit on your head like a feather, for my head, they have just the right amount of tension required for an excellent fit.

I think that by clamping force, the conversation was actually about the headband strength and elastic. Anyways, the headband elastic force was a bit harder on 99N, but since my 99C have been extensively used before, I think that the headband elastic will be the same for 99N after a little while..

Jun 28, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #2,559 of 7,696
@Dobrescu George
Meze said not yet. Until they get confirmation though. Here is email Vlad sent me.
"Thank you for contacting us.

The balanced cable is not for sale, yet. We will release a newsletter when it will be ready to ship. As of now, we do not have a set date for their release."

Oh, I see!

Thank you fro letting us know!

Sorry, I didn't actually check, but I remember that there were some photos of it in the past and I imagined that it would be here sooner!

Jun 28, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #2,562 of 7,696
Actually those photos are of the on ear version...I think it is the b6 but not sure. My b8 does also have those holes but no info on what to do with them. I got mine from here
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GVA94FE/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item_image
But they are out of stock right now. I paid £69 a couple of months ago. Nice reviews and photos at that link. Almost bought them on ebay at the time but those were about £10 more and did not include the case. There is quite a bit of talk about them in the Chinese threads here.

Anyway, don't want to derail the Meze thread. I am loving my Mezes...I have the Neo. I love the bass. I find that when I play less bass heavy music the Meze does not add an artificial boost. I can still enjoy my more laid back music. They are very comfortable...right up there with my Nighthawks and Amirons.

I've got those B6's and they're full size not on ears.....

With some simple modding they're actually very good, not quite as good as the 99C but not far of and very different sounding.

Jun 28, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #2,563 of 7,696
Meze is already selling official Balanced cables if you really want one.

The wiring should be tipically balanced afaik... Maybe @MezeTeam can chime in, but using custom balanced cables might impose some warranty problems...

That is a very good question! 99C and 99N doesn't really have a clamping force per se, they are most likely some of the most comfortable headphones I've worn, they don't clamp hard like, say, M50X series or other headphones that do lamp - 99C and 99N just sit on your head like a feather, for my head, they have just the right amount of tension required for an excellent fit.

I think that by clamping force, the conversation was actually about the headband strength and elastic. Anyways, the headband elastic force was a bit harder on 99N, but since my 99C have been extensively used before, I think that the headband elastic will be the same for 99N after a little while..

So I'm a big fan of the 99C's and they are my favorite headphone but I don't think they have zero clamping force. I do find them comfortable but it took repeated use before they were a great fit on my head. Initially I found the headband would contract a bit and pull up the headphone so I would have to adjust it frequently by pulling back down. I found there was force being applied throughout which certainly didn't make them like a feather. After a few weeks they settled and now I don't have to adjust them at all after I put them on but they still retain some clamp as they feel firm on my head and against my ears.

Jun 28, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #2,564 of 7,696
A work colleague sent me a link to the 99c's asking if I had any opinion on them as he is quite interested in buying them. I replied I actually have owned a pair for over a year and like them very much indeed. So tomorrow I am taking mine into work and letting him audition them. Will probably have a new Meze fan soon.

Jun 28, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #2,565 of 7,696
So I'm a big fan of the 99C's and they are my favorite headphone but I don't think they have zero clamping force. I do find them comfortable but it took repeated use before they were a great fit on my head. Initially I found the headband would contract a bit and pull up the headphone so I would have to adjust it frequently by pulling back down. I found there was force being applied throughout which certainly didn't make them like a feather. After a few weeks they settled and now I don't have to adjust them at all after I put them on but they still retain some clamp as they feel firm on my head and against my ears.

Totally understandable, but there are headphones that really clamp - say M50, or certain Beyer like custom one pro. 99C is a feather in comparison - they don't falll, but they don't clamp either - not in the same sense. The spring system Meze designed works really well in practice .

One of the headphones I am enjoying right now has some clamping force - and I don't mind it, but I can imagine some people wanting a more relaxed experience, like 99C offers.

A work colleague sent me a link to the 99c's asking if I had any opinion on them as he is quite interested in buying them. I replied I actually have owned a pair for over a year and like them very much indeed. So tomorrow I am taking mine into work and letting him audition them. Will probably have a new Meze fan soon.

Super cool! You'll show him a whole new world of love with 99C!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back