Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Jun 29, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #2,581 of 7,696
Today I received my Meze 99 Classics “Wallnut Silver” (sic). Gold and wood make a perfect combination, but I decided for the silver because they have more a Scandinavian style (wood/aluminium, the Bang & Olufsen set up). The plugs are aluminium too, instead of black. Design and manufacture are superb.

I can say at this moment that the sound is wonderful, well balanced. And that’s the first impression listening them right out of the box. No burn in at all! Yet.
I tried them with three different amplifiers. One solid-state (Accuphase) and two valve amps (Woo Audio WA2 and PrimaLuna Dialogue HP Premium Integrated). WA2 has this configuration: Bendix 6080 WB, Philips E88CC (Holland), Tesla EZ81 (Czech). PrimaLuna: Amperex ECC82 (Holland), Mullard EL34 XF1. The album selected: Diana Krall’s Turn Up The Quiet.

They sound perfectly well with all of them. They have a very natural sound with any of the amps used. Even with WA2 which is an OTL and considering 99C are just 32 ohms. Sound is warm, round, very nice detailed and clear. With PrimaLuna is clearer with a little less bass but more controlled with better definition in high-mids. Still warm. With Accuphase the sound is more clinical, very detailed, warm too. I love these headphones.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #2,582 of 7,696
Yes! My meze99c replacement cables have arrived. I don't have to rely on my superglued cable that only works on one side.

Good for you!

Any updates from Meze about their upcoming balanced cables for 99C?

I'm keen for an update on these too. A sneak peak / teaser (apart from the previous posts) maybe @MezeTeam ?

Jun 29, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #2,583 of 7,696
Yes some insight into the balanced cable would be in order right about now :)

Jun 30, 2017 at 1:15 AM Post #2,585 of 7,696
I do admit that Meze 99 Balanced cable looks incredibly nice.

Does anyone know what the meze newsletter is? Vlad said they will release it on newsletter when it's ready to ship.

If i am not mistaken they have an option on their website to subscribe via email to their newsletter.

Jun 30, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #2,587 of 7,696
I bought Meze for trance in special but now I listen more and more Acid, Funky Jazz and before I run from it :).
An interesting topic about the correlation between the headphone quality and price

On short , some headphones with proper eq can reach the level of some very expensive one.The study is from someone from Harman Accustic Research

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2017 at 6:52 AM Post #2,588 of 7,696
The more I listen this headphones the more i love the sound.

How important are the burn-in period in this ones. When I received the sound was interesting but too much bassy and a little veiled in the high frequencies. Now, after (maybe) 60 or 70 hours there are simply perfect for my ears.

And the more important, to relax and enjoy the music without anything more.

Jul 2, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #2,590 of 7,696
I have the purpleheart TX-00 and the bass is a bit more powerful. I prefer the 99 Classic's as they are more comfortable, being lighter.

Jul 2, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #2,591 of 7,696
I bought Meze for trance in special but now I listen more and more Acid, Funky Jazz and before I run from it :).
An interesting topic about the correlation between the headphone quality and price

On short , some headphones with proper eq can reach the level of some very expensive one.The study is from someone from Harman Accustic Research

Only some headphones can do that, there are headphones who cannot take much EQ, Meze 99 Classics and 99 Neo are just the luckiest ones around, they can take EQ and be made to sound like they hit waaay above their price point.

The more I listen this headphones the more i love the sound.

How important are the burn-in period in this ones. When I received the sound was interesting but too much bassy and a little veiled in the high frequencies. Now, after (maybe) 60 or 70 hours there are simply perfect for my ears.

And the more important, to relax and enjoy the music without anything more.

I actually found this to be true, they do need a bit of burn-in to reach theiir best levels and although I generally don't believe in burn-in, it looks like 99C sounds good after a few hours of playing music.

Which one have a more bass quantity ?
Meze 99 or THX00 ?
Can you you compare this both headphones ?

Properly EQ'ed and properly AMP'ed 99 Classics is visceral in its bass, it not only has one of the best bass quantities, but its bass quality is also truly amazing. iFi iDSD BL helps lots with achieveing that great level of bass,.

Jul 3, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #2,593 of 7,696
i demoed these headphones on friday loved them.Sadly when i received them today the bottom area of wooden cups were chaffed and chipped.:cry::sob:
Why god Why ????
Now the replacement's gonna take a whole week :frowning2:.
mine were september 2016 production
so is anything changed in the recent batch of may june 17 i.e pads or cable or anything else ???, cause if so then i can specifically request a newer version.

+side these are amaing driving them out of my s8+ and g4, and before anyone says why no dac/amp i paid 390 dollars so broke.(indian pricing's a bitch)

Jul 3, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #2,594 of 7,696
i demoed these headphones on friday loved them.Sadly when i received them today the bottom area of wooden cups were chaffed and chipped.:cry::sob:
Why god Why ????
so is anything changed in the recent batch of may june 17 i.e pads or cable or anything else ???, cause if so then i can specifically request a newer version.

+side these are amaing driving them out of my s8+ and g4, and before anyone says why no dac/amp i paid 390 dollars so broke.(indian pricing's a bitch)
Oh, that is too sad. I hope the replacement is perfect and has the nicest wood grains of all! Just make sure you are getting the ones with the larger pads. You will be ok without an amp. They are very easy to drive and, as you just said, they are sounding good.

Jul 3, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #2,595 of 7,696
Why god Why ????

Pity you have to go through this. Waiting can be a pain. I am aware of the indian pricing and thats what happens if you get S8+ :)
I would definitely suggest you use a DAC/amp, until you do you won't know what you're missing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back