Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Jan 15, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #1,488 of 7,692
Hey @Sweetness2309

We never did and never will give false information out. As a matter of fact, the larger earpads for the Maple Silver version are in the prototyping stage. Rest assure, as soon as we will have more concrete information, we will release it to the forums, as we did with our previous development stages. Just ask the guys around, we're sure they will vouch for us regarding this. Thank you for your patience and for understanding.

Best regards,

The Meze Team 

I certainly will. I received prompt and accurate answered ti all the questions I asked. So if they've said something, until proven otherwise, I need only have their word.

Jan 16, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #1,489 of 7,692

This video needs an updated version now as the new pads give the sound a bit more space and possibly reduce the bass a little. They are on the warm side of neutral, which makes them an easy all-rounder.

Here are how they look with the new pads, which anyone who bought them recently will get. The first picture shows one of the original pads for comparison.

I'm amazed the old pads were so small! WOW!

Jan 16, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #1,490 of 7,692
Jan 16, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #1,491 of 7,692
For those interested in making a custom cable for these, Double Helix Cables has invented a clever 3D Printed mod that will work with at least one existing plug.

http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=205

I'm contemplating this very solution, myself. Give me a few hours and I'm sure I'll have placed the order. :xf_eek:

Jan 18, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #1,494 of 7,692
How do these compare to the HD 650s technically? Also, are these as smooth and liquid as the 650s with no grain?

The meze are quite smooth with cleaner bass albeit lesser extension.
Resoltion, dynamics, low level detail....you know how difficult it is to match HD650, Meze is simply not in the same league.
Treble smoothness is identical but 650 has flatter FR and better texture. The meze might sound fatiguing over longer run despite smoothness, mainly due to the ultimate lack of resolution.

Jan 18, 2017 at 6:22 AM Post #1,495 of 7,692
The meze are quite smooth with cleaner bass albeit lesser extension.
Resoltion, dynamics, low level detail....you know how difficult it is to match HD650, Meze is simply not in the same league.
Treble smoothness is identical but 650 has flatter FR and better texture. The meze might sound fatiguing over longer run despite smoothness, mainly due to the ultimate lack of resolution.

Thank you for the comparison. Well, I was about to pull the trigger on these, now I am not. 

Jan 18, 2017 at 6:32 AM Post #1,496 of 7,692
Hi can anyone tell me the size of the plugs that go into the headphones ? I am wondering if these will work with my HE400s balanced cable.

Thanks

Nick

Glance at the post directly above yous.

Jan 18, 2017 at 6:49 AM Post #1,498 of 7,692
Thank you for the comparison. Well, I was about to pull the trigger on these, now I am not. 

I must add that the meze are very easy to drive and sound enjoyable out of portable sources as well. HD650 although not difficult to drive, does not sound anywhere near its potential with portable gear.

Jan 18, 2017 at 6:51 AM Post #1,499 of 7,692
​Yes I looked at that and that seems to convert to 3.5mm plugs. The HE400s are smaller 2.5mm plugs.

Cheers

Nick

It doesn't covert. The 99C already uses 3.5mm. But the housing is super narrow that any third-party plugs don't fit. Only theirs. This mod gives you choices.

Jan 18, 2017 at 6:51 AM Post #1,500 of 7,692
I must add that the meze are very easy to drive and sound enjoyable out of portable sources as well. HD650 although not difficult to drive, does not sound anywhere near its potential with portable gear.

I was just going to point it out that the 99 classics are really easy to drive and you don't feel them struggling with any kind of source IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back