Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Jan 13, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #1,471 of 7,704
I was mostly wondering based on sound signature. I've heard that the AK Jr is warm and I'm not sure how it will pair with the 99 Classics. I'm leaning toward it though, so I wanted to see if anyone had heard the combo and if it was a good pairing or not. The 99 Classics sound good out of my phone, much less a $500 DAP, so I'm sure it will drive it to ear splitting levels.

Truth be told, a cheap ass android as the source, 99 Classics are doing a brilliant job playing Strauss's Thus sprach Zarathustra, and it sounds incredible. When i drive them from the FiiO E17K that's another story altogether. It's just outstanding to my ears. Surprisingly large soundstage and instrument separation is outstanding. I am absolutely sure the AK Jr (though being dubbed warm) can't by any stretch of imagination sounds as bad as a smartphone
basshead.gif

Jan 14, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #1,473 of 7,704
https://youtu.be/rqfuL9e95Ho

I have no way of auditioning these. Does it really sound darker than the momentum 1.0?

He did mention he's used to brighter sounding headphones.

If the M1 is anything like the M2, then I can say no, the Meze does not come off "dark". There is plenty of treble to balance the bass, so they don't feel overly warm or veiled.

I you are accustomed to bright headphones, then these will certainly feel good and warm.

It's possible that reviewer just used a bad word to describe it. I simply cannot imagine anyone who likes the Sennheiser sound to find the 99 Classics dark.

Jan 14, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #1,474 of 7,704
I was planning on holding off on this for at least a week, but I just spent a good 25 minutes going back and forth between the Momentum 2.0 and the Meze 99 Classics. Here are my preliminary findings--sourced by the Astell&Kern AK120ii:

The Meze has MORE treble than the M2. Not a lot, not a harsh, peaky amount, but just enough that it adds detail and sparkle. The M2 sounds duller in direct comparison.
The Meze has fuller, DEEPER bass. Its low-end is significantly more complete and better extended than the M2. Its sub-frequency also has an over-all nicer tone.
Now, you would expect, with more treble and more bass, the Meze would have a v-shaped signature. But it does not. The Mids/vocals are just as present, yet noticeably clearer and more transparent.
The Momentum felt like it had a veil over it, when switching between the two.

To give you some context, I am a big fan of the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Over-Ear. I've had it for a year now, and quite like its sound. I'm a fan of Sennheiser in general, owning also the HD600 and HD6XX. I love all three of my Senns.

That said, the Meze 99 Classics beats the Momentum 2.0. In naturalness, bass, treble, mids, clarity and tonality. And yes, even in comfort, being a bit less awkward on the head. Not that the M2 is terrible in that. It's really rather good, in point of fact. The Meze is simply better. :cool:

Jan 14, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #1,475 of 7,704
If the M1 is anything like the M2, then I can say no, the Meze does not come off "dark". There is plenty of treble to balance the bass, so they don't feel overly warm or veiled.

I you are accustomed to bright headphones, then these will certainly feel good and warm.

It's possible that reviewer just used a bad word to describe it. I simply cannot imagine anyone who likes the Sennheiser sound to find the 99 Classics dark.

Sennheiser...I had nothing good to say about the Momentum 1.0 however I love the 2.0. Sennheiser mids are some of the best. The Meze are a musical headphone if it wasn't for the treble you could classify these as warm, but as you stated the treble pulls it out of the warmth. If someone enjoyed a bright, trebly signature these would be warm. The Meze are an enjoyable music listening experience. 

Jan 14, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #1,476 of 7,704
I was planning on holding off on this for at least a week, but I just spent a good 25 minutes going back and forth between the Momentum 2.0 and the Meze 99 Classics. Here are my preliminary findings--sourced by the Astell&Kern AK120ii:

The Meze has MORE treble than the M2. Not a lot, not a harsh, peaky amount, but just enough that it adds detail and sparkle. The M2 sounds duller in direct comparison.
The Meze has fuller, DEEPER bass. Its low-end is significantly more complete and better extended than the M2. Its sub-frequency also has an over-all nicer tone.
Now, you would expect, with more treble and more bass, the Meze would have a v-shaped signature. But it does not. The Mids/vocals are just as present, yet noticeably clearer and more transparent.
The Momentum felt like it had a veil over it, when switching between the two.

To give you some context, I am a big fan of the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Over-Ear. I've had it for a year now, and quite like its sound. I'm a fan of Sennheiser in general, owning also the HD600 and HD6XX. I love all three of my Senns.

That said, the Meze 99 Classics beats the Momentum 2.0. In naturalness, bass, treble, mids, clarity and tonality. And yes, even in comfort, being a bit less awkward on the head. Not that the M2 is terrible in that. It's really rather good, in point of fact. The Meze is simply better.
cool.gif

Let me add one thing Pinky...I loved the Momentum 2.0 wired sound and yes it is slightly tuned different and a touch better than the wireless version but to my ears I think the BT 2.0 is the best sounding wireless I have heard. I had the wired version first, sold them to get the BT version and have used these for more than a year now. I do recommend the 2.0 Momentum. So I cover my situational bases. I rotate through wired portables, currently the Meze are my go to, Senn 2.0 BT for my wireless, HD650 for home and throw a couple of iem's in. 

Jan 14, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #1,477 of 7,704
Listening to Melody Garbot on these have blown my nips off. Her vocals are so clear, weighty, and real. :basshead:

Jan 14, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #1,479 of 7,704
Forget 'em. Who needs nips when you got good music and quality gear?

Jan 15, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #1,481 of 7,704
https://youtu.be/rqfuL9e95Ho

I have no way of auditioning these. Does it really sound darker than the momentum 1.0?

He did mention he's used to brighter sounding headphones.

This video needs an updated version now as the new pads give the sound a bit more space and possibly reduce the bass a little. They are on the warm side of neutral, which makes them an easy all-rounder.

Here are how they look with the new pads, which anyone who bought them recently will get. The first picture shows one of the original pads for comparison.

Jan 15, 2017 at 2:54 AM Post #1,482 of 7,704
This video needs an updated version now as the new pads give the sound a bit more space and possibly reduce the bass a little. They are on the warm side of neutral, which makes them an easy all-rounder.

Here are how they look with the new pads, which anyone who bought them recently will get. The first picture shows one of the original pads for comparison.

Yes, the new pads are more comfortable and (to my ears at least) contribute to an increased sense of audible spaciousness besides just more space for your ears.

Jan 15, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #1,483 of 7,704
Unless you really have tiny ears I think the new pads are definitely superior and the pictures above show why.  The new pads are very comfortable to me, moreso than the pads on the Sony MA900 which is touted for its comfort as a headphone.  The Sony is lighter and has less clamp (almost no clamp, actually) but the included pads are somewhat stiff feeling and not nearly as buttery soft as the ones on the 99 Classics.

Jan 15, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #1,484 of 7,704

Would you say the treble on these is comparable to the Shure 1540's? Or would you say it is brighter or darker?

Jan 15, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #1,485 of 7,704
  Would you say the treble on these is comparable to the Shure 1540's? Or would you say it is brighter or darker?

No idea. If you check my profile, you'll see I've never had the 1540s in my possession. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back