Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
May 9, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #496 of 7,695
It is a shame they are not available to listen to in the UK. I am seriously considering these as a replacement for my Focal Classics which sound very nice but don't instill confidence in their build (I'm on my third pair!) The Meze look to be beutifully put together with no brittle plastic.

Don't suppose anyone has compared these two and also (even less likely) my other closed headphones; the Beyer DT150 (Beautiful in sound but demanding of amplification)

May 9, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #497 of 7,695
Walnut silver for me BTW !

May 9, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #499 of 7,695
http://dogoodaudio.co.uk/
  It is a shame they are not available to listen to in the UK. I am seriously considering these as a replacement for my Focal Classics which sound very nice but don't instill confidence in their build (I'm on my third pair!) The Meze look to be beutifully put together with no brittle plastic.

Don't suppose anyone has compared these two and also (even less likely) my other closed headphones; the Beyer DT150 (Beautiful in sound but demanding of amplification)

IDK where you are in the UK,, but it looks like the Meze map on their website lists a dealer in Liverpool...

https://www.mezeheadphones.com/dealers

http://dogoodaudio.co.uk/

good luck!

May 10, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #501 of 7,695
So out of the many headphones I've tried before and all the time I've been following the Head-Fi board (lurking), only this headset brings me to actually become a member and give personal feedback on this new toy (heirloom?) that I've recently bought.

I got these things on the 14th of April so I've toyed around with these for almost a month. They're not perfect, but they are amazing and its sound is almost everything I would want in a closed-back headset.

I'm sure many of you are curious about alternate pads. I tried a couple and both surprised me as to which one worked and which one didn't. Later tonight I'm going to post more details when I get more time but here are the two I tried:

http://www.amazon.com/MDR-7506-MDR-CD900ST-Headphone-Replacement-Cushion/dp/B00M8T5YHU?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-EDT250V-Headphone-Pads-Black/dp/B0016MF7W2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01

Stay tuned. 

May 10, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #502 of 7,695
Has anyone made these things balanced? Is there a standard connection on the headphone end that be replicated for a custom cable? Or would I be stuck cannibalizing one of the stock cables?

May 10, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #503 of 7,695
  Has anyone made these things balanced? Is there a standard connection on the headphone end that be replicated for a custom cable? Or would I be stuck cannibalizing one of the stock cables?

I know I'm being frightfully dumb and noob-centric, but what effect would balancing have on a closed back headphone?

May 10, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #504 of 7,695

I know I'm being frightfully dumb and noob-centric, but what effect would balancing have on a closed back headphone?

Open or closed back headphone isn't involved here. It is a reference to how an amplifier functions and how to connect components. I would suggest a brief web search on the difference between single ended or balanced connections. Basically some devices (like the Pono, or my Codex) sound better utilizing their balanced functionality, but it requires specific cable conductor configuration.

May 11, 2016 at 1:29 AM Post #505 of 7,695
So here are the Beyer pads:

These are taller and more narrow than the original Meze pads. So tall that they didn't quite fit on the edges, which is why you see the electrical tape at the bottom of the lips! Yes, it surprisingly fit after that. Looks disgusting? Yeah probably, but hey there was a reason why I didn't browse the headphone/audio sites very often in the past!

The problem with these guys is that you can see that the opening was greatly narrowed and the ear has less space for the sound to play around in. Even with the dampening foam inserted (not pictured), the sound sounded a bit distant, sibilant, and the midrange was nearly nerfed. It's a shame as the comfort was out of this world. I had to return these guys.

What worked surprised me.

What you see here are some cheapo "Geekria" replacement pads for the Sony MDR V6 headphones. The opening was surprisingly wide enough and the ears had a little more space. Just a little. 

These fit perfectly without any electrical tape. I had some foam filters from a pair of Superlux headphones I bought two years ago to replace the foam in the stock pads. Without the extra foam, the sound was a bit more clear. Midrange wasn't affected at all. Bass while clear and present, didn't have a lot of impact, the "oomph" that the stock pads give it. 

With the foam in between the pads and drivers though...they sounded virtually identical to the stock pads. 

So there you have it; cheapo pads from Amazon that surprisingly did the job. I'll have more details on what I think about these bad boys later. For now though, here's what my wooden cups look like. 

Have fun...and feel free to give me the typical n00b-flogging!

May 11, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #506 of 7,695

I got mine from a UK seller on EBay new stock. Sound great for a £250 headphone and can't say a bad thing against them. Bass lines are really solid and Mid/Treble sounds really open for a closed design.They are by far the cheapest Headphone I have but really don't notice that when put up against some of the others. Prefer them to my Beyer T1's at the moment as they are more exciting. They also scale well with good equipment. Still breaking in for the 40 hours recommended period but really feel they are a great buy for the price. Just to say I do drive mine amplified so can't comment how they sound out of a MP3 type device.

May 11, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #507 of 7,695
I actually find I like listening to my Meze 99 Classics more than my T1.2's although when I get into a listening session with my T1's I really do enjoy them. There is something about the Meze's though, such fun to listen to.

May 11, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #508 of 7,695
  I actually find I like listening to my Meze 99 Classics more than my T1.2's although when I get into a listening session with my T1's I really do enjoy them. There is something about the Meze's though, such fun to listen to.

I find the Meze 99 like the tube amps in my collection. Currently using them out of my Modified MF Xcan V3 during break in as it smooths out some treble break in issues.
My T1's seem to like a Balanced Headphone amp the best. The SPL Auditor works really well with them.

Headphone amps with a low output impedance drive the Meze99 bass with authority and impact .  The Schiit Mjolnir 2 drives the Meze bass with real pace and timing, mind you the Mjolnir seems to drive everything equally well.

May 11, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #510 of 7,695
I have Reflector Nos Tubes from the 70's tubes in my  2 tube amps currently. While they were not the most sweetest. They are really smooth and reliable with a good open characteristic throughout the audio range. I found my  particular Mullard CV2492's became quite Microphonic over time. Never tried Tung-sol are they good ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back