Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
May 11, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #514 of 7,677
Looking for some closed phones with good sound and "bang for the buck". I need to have very low sound leakage so that my wife cannot hear the music in our shared office space.

The Meze 99's look perfect. So how are these for isolation/leaking?

Thanks! 

May 11, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #515 of 7,677
Looking for some closed phones with good sound and "bang for the buck". I need to have very low sound leakage so that my wife cannot hear the music in our shared office space.

Thanks! 

Sound leakage is excellent, while isolation is average for closed cans. YMMV, as the earcups are made for smaller ears.
However there are updated versions with different pad sizes and colour-ways coming rather soon, so that issue should be resolved.

May 11, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #516 of 7,677

Thanks! 
They leak on the lower side of moderate. They do almost nothing for isolation. Try the b&w p7 or oppo pm-3 for isolation, and low levels of leaking.

May 12, 2016 at 6:51 AM Post #517 of 7,677
Sound leakage is excellent, while isolation is average for closed cans. YMMV, as the earcups are made for smaller ears.
However there are updated versions with different pad sizes and colour-ways coming rather soon, so that issue should be resolved.

They leak on the lower side of moderate. They do almost nothing for isolation. Try the b&w p7 or oppo pm-3 for isolation, and low levels of leaking.

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it.

May 12, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #518 of 7,677
  So here are the Beyer pads:

The problem with these guys is that you can see that the opening was greatly narrowed and the ear has less space for the sound to play around in. Even with the dampening foam inserted (not pictured), the sound sounded a bit distant, sibilant, and the midrange was nearly nerfed. It's a shame as the comfort was out of this world. I had to return these guys.

What I did was use craft foam and made a frame so that the pads were still round but there was no gaps whatsoever. In all honesty, after trying the beyerdynamic pads the 99's reminded me of a V-shaped DT770. Bass was greatly increased, kind of 'fat' like my old DT770 Pros. The treble gained more air and sounded, again, like a DT770 meaning the response became very brittle. Midrange....what midrange? I was flabbergasted at how much the mids became recessed to the point of non-existence. If the mids remained somewhat intact, from what my memory recalls, the 99 Classics with the velour beyer pads sounded very much like a DT770.

L3000.gif

May 13, 2016 at 5:38 AM Post #520 of 7,677
If anyone is looking to replace the stock ear-pads then I can definitely recommend the Brainwavz Memory Foam ear-pads.
I decided to purchase both the leather and velour versions and they fit perfectly and are definitely more comfortable. The reason I bought both pairs is because I read somewhere else they provide a different sound signature. Here are some comparisons I have made between the two versus the stock ear-pads.:

Sound
Leather: They are the more "punchy" of the two, more lower bass attack and not too much difference with the treble and sound-stage 
Velour: More subtle and natural in comparison, sounds a bit "sweeter" but not "sugar-coated", just more mellow and "nice".

Comfort
Leather: No discomfort issues other than they tend to get warm over a long listening period, e.g. after 30 minutes, but not to the point where I felt I had to stop wearing them.
Velour: Fit fine but tend to get a bit "itchy" after long listening period, e.g. after 1 hour, where I felt the urge to "wiggle" the ear pieces and adjust them.

Isolation
Leather: In the main very good, slight noise interference in outside environments, such as on public transport, walking in busy pedestrian area, but no worse than other headphones like the Momentum's and Nad Viso (IMHO, I think the B&W P7 or PSBs are probably the best in this category)
Velour: Not as good as the leather, heard more ambient noises compared with the leather version but by no means drowns the music out, its just more noticeable.

Price (based on Amazon)
Leather: £12.50 / €16 / $18
Velour: £15 / €19 / $21

Verdict:
The difference between the two is not night and day, there is not a huge difference.
They are definitely better than the stock ear pads and I think its going to come down to your own personal taste and preference, for me it comes down to (1) sound, (2) comfort and (3) isolation and both these ear-pads certainly fit the bill.

Therefore, I can definitely recommend you buy both, IMHO they are extremely good value for many for the quality and a more comfortable upgrade to the stock ear pads!

May 13, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #521 of 7,677
  If anyone is looking to replace the stock ear-pads then I can definitely recommend the Brainwavz Memory Foam ear-pads.
I decided to purchase both the leather and velour versions and they fit perfectly and are definitely more comfortable....

Fantastic! Been eyeing them pads but to be honest, was waiting for someone else to pull the trigger before I spend money I don't have on new pads. 
wink.gif

Side note: I wore my M4U 1s' out and about, once, and never again. I don't like it when a transit bus can blow by and scare the shat outta me! Can only imagine what the M4U 2s' are like. 
tongue.gif

May 13, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #522 of 7,677
I decided to purchase both the leather and velour versions and they fit perfectly and are definitely more comfortable. The reason I bought both pairs is because I read somewhere else they provide a different sound signature. Here are some comparisons I have made between the two versus the stock ear-pads.:

Sound
Leather: They are the more "punchy" of the two, more lower bass attack and not too much difference with the treble and sound-stage 
Velour: More subtle and natural in comparison, sounds a bit "sweeter" but not "sugar-coated", just more mellow and "nice".

Comfort
Leather: No discomfort issues other than they tend to get warm over a long listening period, e.g. after 30 minutes, but not to the point where I felt I had to stop wearing them.
Velour: Fit fine but tend to get a bit "itchy" after long listening period, e.g. after 1 hour, where I felt the urge to "wiggle" the ear pieces and adjust them.

Isolation
Leather: In the main very good, slight noise interference in outside environments, such as on public transport, walking in busy pedestrian area, but no worse than other headphones like the Momentum's and Nad Viso (IMHO, I think the B&W P7 or PSBs are probably the best in this category)
Velour: Not as good as the leather, heard more ambient noises compared with the leather version but by no means drowns the music out, its just more noticeable.

Price (based on Amazon)
Leather: £12.50 / €16 / $18
Velour: £15 / €19 / $21

Verdict:
The difference between the two is not night and day, there is not a huge difference.
They are definitely better than the stock ear pads and I think its going to come down to your own personal taste and preference, for me it comes down to (1) sound, (2) comfort and (3) isolation and both these ear-pads certainly fit the bill.

Therefore, I can definitely recommend you buy both, IMHO they are extremely good value for many for the quality and a more comfortable upgrade to the stock ear pads!

Well... Everything you said about Brainwavz Earpads is true...except these do not fit to the 99 classics...like...at all!

The only way is to put it over the woodcup, what is bring terrible design and poor isolation...

May 13, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #524 of 7,677
I don't get why so many people are obsessed with trying out ear pads from different sources when Meze will send you new larger pads free in the near future. These I am sure will have been optimised for fit and sound quality so why would you imagine you can do it yourself??? I mean I just asking the question and no disrespect is intended.

May 13, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #525 of 7,677
I don't get why so many people are obsessed with trying out ear pads from different sources when Meze will send you new larger pads free in the near future. These I am sure will have been optimised for fit and sound quality so why would you imagine you can do it yourself??? I mean I just asking the question and no disrespect is intended.

The quest for personalized audio bliss does not stop with manufacturer provided pads, no matter how perfect they may be. 
darthsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back