Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Oct 1, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #7,307 of 7,695
I love my 99 classics and I plan to keep it as long as possible. And one of the DCAs will be a wonderful addition.
Tu dis la vérité! (You speak the truth).

Oct 5, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #7,308 of 7,695
I was looking forward to trying Meze 99 Noire (same as the classics) but it has been such a big disappointment. Having waited for them to be shipped (for almost a month), I received them covered in mold! This is frustrating beyond what I can express in words as I have paid customs on these as well since I am based out of Canada. Drop has said they will refund the money and I am thankful to them but it is disappointing nonetheless.

Just wanted to make everyone aware of this issue as this is a major problem with the current batch of Meze 99's from Drop. If you are thinking of buying one of these then please go for the Meze 99 Classics as I am going to do the same (though it will cost USD100/CAD130 more).

Attachments

• 20211004_133748.jpg
    20211004_133748.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20211004_133753.jpg
    20211004_133753.jpg
    917.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211004_133803.jpg
    20211004_133803.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Oct 5, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #7,310 of 7,695
Definitely nasty. I wonder if that's a Meze problem or Drop problem? Meze has a reputation for impeccable build quality. My 99 Classics are flawlessly built. Drop has released some ropey products in the past.

Hmm ... Either way, sucks for the OP. I sympathize. Such a bummer.

Oct 6, 2021 at 4:21 AM Post #7,311 of 7,695

Good timing on this one, I only popped in here to ask about this lol.

Trying to figure out what I want from a closed-back pair of cans and if I even want high end closed-backs has me tearing my hair out (exaggerating obv) recently, and I feel like I've finally come to the conclusion that I truly need a closed-back pair for only two use cases: video games that make my PC's fans get very loud and Netflix and other media consumption on an iPad. All my "serious music listening" is done on the Aeolus. The 99Cs are obviously perfect for said use cases (fun sound, good enough isolation and comfort, easy to drive), there's just the small issue that the GF is totally hogging my 99Cs lol.

So I think I'll get the 99 Neos later this year and never think about closed-back headphones ever again for another ****ing second of my life.

Oct 6, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #7,312 of 7,695
Definitely nasty. I wonder if that's a Meze problem or Drop problem? Meze has a reputation for impeccable build quality. My 99 Classics are flawlessly built. Drop has released some ropey products in the past.

Hmm ... Either way, sucks for the OP. I sympathize. Such a bummer.
The mold/rusty screw problem has been going on since May of 2019. I'd guess long storage in a warehouse/container with too much humidity or maybe the wood supplier is providing stock that is not quite up to par.

People say that if you even have a miniscule amount of mold on the outside to open up the headphones and check inside the cups if you are going to clean or keep them.

Oct 6, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #7,313 of 7,695
I recently bought the Meze 99 Classics as my first foray into hi-fi equipment after researching a ton on head-fi and other forums. Straight out of the box, they do have a lot of excessive mid-bass bloom, which apparently is due to the infamous pad issue. After further research, it seems like the new revised smaller pads by Meze might help to combat this. Since the smaller pads aren't available in my country, I bought them directly from their website and they are currently in-transit.

But yesterday, I realised an interesting thing. My Meze's are 15 days old, and I didn't expect them to sound a lot different after break-in, but they surprisingly do. Maybe it's just the pad becoming a tad softer due to regular use, but I'm noticing that the mid-bass bloom is relatively a lot lesser than before. The bass feels tighter, but the impact seems to be a bit duller at the same time.

I listen to a lot of bass-heavy tracks, and straight out of the box, when I listened to some dubstep, it felt like each kick was a bullet piercing through my chest. Now, the bass is there for sure, but it is a bit more controlled yet less impactful. Straight out of the box, I felt that the cans didn't handle rock (especially older recordings) really well as the bass guitar used to overpower the mix and drown out the bite from the electric guitar, but now it is back to the lead guitar being the centerpiece of the show.

I'm not sure if it's the pad becoming softer due to repeated use, or just simple mental and physical break-in, but they honestly sound much more neutral and controlled now, maybe closer to what Tyll from Innerfidelity might have heard. Anyway, I'm getting the smaller pads in a week or so, and I'll post any differences that I find.

Just seeing this now. It’s true that there is too much mid bass with stock pads.

I’m using Brainwavz Oval Hybrid pads and they improve overall clarity a lot. Bass is reduced and treble is enhanced.

Oct 7, 2021 at 1:34 AM Post #7,314 of 7,695
Good timing on this one, I only popped in here to ask about this lol.

Trying to figure out what I want from a closed-back pair of cans and if I even want high end closed-backs has me tearing my hair out (exaggerating obv) recently, and I feel like I've finally come to the conclusion that I truly need a closed-back pair for only two use cases: video games that make my PC's fans get very loud and Netflix and other media consumption on an iPad. All my "serious music listening" is done on the Aeolus. The 99Cs are obviously perfect for said use cases (fun sound, good enough isolation and comfort, easy to drive), there's just the small issue that the GF is totally hogging my 99Cs lol.

So I think I'll get the 99 Neos later this year and never think about closed-back headphones ever again for another ****ing second of my life.
Get the DCA Aeon RT closed and see if you say that……..

Oct 7, 2021 at 4:09 AM Post #7,315 of 7,695
Get the DCA Aeon RT closed and see if you say that……..

I'm certainly curious about the Dan Clark cans (they look extremely comfy!), but I've seen enough people describe their house sound as "dry" that I've figured they're likely not for me--especially not when it comes to movies and video games, where a stupid bass boost and all the other "audiophile crimes" are just positives as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2021 at 7:34 PM Post #7,316 of 7,695
The mold/rusty screw problem has been going on since May of 2019. I'd guess long storage in a warehouse/container with too much humidity or maybe the wood supplier is providing stock that is not quite up to par.

People say that if you even have a miniscule amount of mold on the outside to open up the headphones and check inside the cups if you are going to clean or keep them.
Thank you so much for all the replies!

I got the refund from Drop and bought Meze 99 Classics. Before making my purchase, (though I knew this was the one) I just wanted to demo/compare Meze 99C with Focal Celestee and Focal Elegia and I couldn't be more satisfied with my choice.

Beautiful walnut gold model and the music coming from these cans is exactly to my tastes! Now I want to look into BW pads and silver cable to experiment a bit but for now I will enjoy them. Thanks again for the replies and I am proud to be part of Meze family now.

Meze 99C.jpg

Oct 7, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #7,317 of 7,695
I'm certainly curious about the Dan Clark cans (they look extremely comfy!), but I've seen enough people describe their house sound as "dry" that I've figured they're likely not for me--especially not when it comes to movies and video games, where a stupid bass boost and all the other "audiophile crimes" are just positives as far as I'm concerned.
Their house sound is “neutral”. If that connotes dry, I kinda get it. There’s zero emphasis. If you’re after the mix that the artist wanted/intended, you’re in for a treat. Unless, of course, the artist did’t get a final listen either after mixing and/or mastering… A good friend wants NOTHING but what THE ARTIST INTENDED. I say “good luck to that. Some added bass from my Schiit Lokius works a treat… With power, the DCA Aeons are awesome, and build quality is second to none…

Oct 7, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #7,318 of 7,695
Some say ‘dry’, I say ‘dull.’

Oct 8, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #7,319 of 7,695
Thank you so much for all the replies!

I got the refund from Drop and bought Meze 99 Classics. Before making my purchase, (though I knew this was the one) I just wanted to demo/compare Meze 99C with Focal Celestee and Focal Elegia and I couldn't be more satisfied with my choice.

Beautiful walnut gold model and the music coming from these cans is exactly to my tastes! Now I want to look into BW pads and silver cable to experiment a bit but for now I will enjoy them. Thanks again for the replies and I am proud to be part of Meze family now.

Meze 99C.jpg
You are most welcome and enjoy your Classics, they are a great headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back