Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Sep 18, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #7,291 of 7,702
I recently bought the Meze 99 Classics as my first foray into hi-fi equipment after researching a ton on head-fi and other forums. Straight out of the box, they do have a lot of excessive mid-bass bloom, which apparently is due to the infamous pad issue. After further research, it seems like the new revised smaller pads by Meze might help to combat this. Since the smaller pads aren't available in my country, I bought them directly from their website and they are currently in-transit.

But yesterday, I realised an interesting thing. My Meze's are 15 days old, and I didn't expect them to sound a lot different after break-in, but they surprisingly do. Maybe it's just the pad becoming a tad softer due to regular use, but I'm noticing that the mid-bass bloom is relatively a lot lesser than before. The bass feels tighter, but the impact seems to be a bit duller at the same time.

I listen to a lot of bass-heavy tracks, and straight out of the box, when I listened to some dubstep, it felt like each kick was a bullet piercing through my chest. Now, the bass is there for sure, but it is a bit more controlled yet less impactful. Straight out of the box, I felt that the cans didn't handle rock (especially older recordings) really well as the bass guitar used to overpower the mix and drown out the bite from the electric guitar, but now it is back to the lead guitar being the centerpiece of the show.

I'm not sure if it's the pad becoming softer due to repeated use, or just simple mental and physical break-in, but they honestly sound much more neutral and controlled now, maybe closer to what Tyll from Innerfidelity might have heard. Anyway, I'm getting the smaller pads in a week or so, and I'll post any differences that I find.
A fair bit of that is likely brain burn-in too. They are a nice headphone with a bass bias.

I used these as my mobile headphones for three years. Ran just great off of a phone (LG V30).

Sep 19, 2021 at 12:31 AM Post #7,292 of 7,702
The Aeon RT is only availably from DCA directly to keep the cost low.
Including import and shipping to Europe it adds up to around 500-550€ depending on shipping location and exchange rates.
The RT is also the Drop.com version… Apparently, DCA has confirmed that it’s the same. There’s still shipping, though

Sep 19, 2021 at 1:18 AM Post #7,293 of 7,702
Hello,
Any recommendation for a 300€ closed back headphone?
Really interested in the 99 classic.
Thought about the ATH-M50X?

Sep 19, 2021 at 2:09 AM Post #7,294 of 7,702
Hello,
Any recommendation for a 300€ closed back headphone?
Really interested in the 99 classic.
depends on what you are looking for, bass, neutrality, soundstage...

Closed-Back Headphone options I've tried
M50x (slightly V-Shaped) not as bad as some reviews make it out to be. My unit is ~8 years old so not sure if there are any revisions or changes in the current model. It's not the most resolving headphone but "OK" for the price, build is great, very durable except for the leather part (headrest). stock earpads are too small, Brainwavz pads fit better for me. Needs some power to sound good (a good dongle will do I think). To me vocals with M50x sound a bit artificial.

Meze 99C (Bassy & Relaxed) great to have as a secondary Headphone with Sundara, HD 6xx... etc as primary. Looks beautiful, has a relaxed sound signature with medium soundstage. not the best imaging in it's price range but not bad either. capable of some good vocals paired with the right DAC. The 99C resolve well with good instrument separation but similar to M50x imaging is a bit lacking. No issues with comfort and fit even with smaller pads for me. The coating on wood cups can get scratched if not taken care off.

other options (have not heard them)
DT 770 Pro
Shure SRH840
AKG K371

Sep 19, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #7,296 of 7,702
Thought about the ATH-M50X?
A very V-shaped sound signature, with plenty of bass bleed, hot treble and scooped-out mids. Perhaps the most uncomfortable headphone I've ever owned, too.

On the plus side, they're built like tanks.

The M50x are the gateway drug to audiophilia for many. But they're just consumer-tuned headphones with a bit more quality. Once you hear a good can, even in the same price range, it becomes pretty obvious the M50x is an overrated headphone unless you dig V-shaped sound.

Sep 19, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #7,297 of 7,702
A very V-shaped sound signature, with plenty of bass bleed, hot treble and scooped-out mids. Perhaps the most uncomfortable headphone I've ever owned, too.

On the plus side, they're built like tanks.

The M50x are the gateway drug to audiophilia for many. But they're just consumer-tuned headphones with a bit more quality. Once you hear a good can, even in the same price range, it becomes pretty obvious the M50x is an overrated headphone unless you dig V-shaped sound.
Right now, Drop.com has the Dan Clark Aeon closed for 100$ off, at 399…

Sep 29, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #7,298 of 7,702
Exactly. Depends on what our French friend is looking for. I love my 99 Noirs. They are lively and engaging, but not at all for critical listening. But they nail the fun factor. I have two other closed back cans, the Sennheiser HD598 (now I think the HD599), and Dan Clark Audio’s Aeon RT. While the 598/9s are in @ToxicRisk’s budget of 300 Euro, the Aeons are not. With all that said, I fly with either the Sennheisers or my Bose QC35 II, depending on whether I’m sleeping or listening. I assume that what’s needed is isolation here, and all of these do the job. The Sennheisers are very good, and more neutral than the 99s. Tough to find closed in this price range, right?
I won't ask you to compare the Aeon RT to the 99 C, but being the owner of the 99 I am considering buying the Aeon RT. How would you describe the differences between these two?

Sep 29, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #7,299 of 7,702
Is there an obvious difference between the Meze Neo vs Meze Classic? I’ve had both before but I can’t remember the difference!!!

Sep 30, 2021 at 12:33 AM Post #7,301 of 7,702
I won't ask you to compare the Aeon RT to the 99 C, but being the owner of the 99 I am considering buying the Aeon RT. How would you describe the differences between these two?
Lol. RT are probably the most comfy headphones I own. Light, and pads are great. With that out of the way, they are on the harman curve side of neutral, but great detail and a lovely ‘jazz club’ soundstage. Detail is amazing as well. I threw on some taiko the other night, because I love going to see taiko live, and I’m familiar with the attack and decay of the different drum sizes and mallet types. The RT gets them RIGHT, which I have found lacking (especially the decay part) in darn near all other headphones. They are not bass heavy, so if you’re a basshead, grab a Schiit Loki and dial it up a bit. But overall, I really enjoy them!

The 99s are fun, but very V-shaped, so for pop and rock, you can’t help but move with the music, they are that fun. But norpt as detailed, soundstage is pretty narrow, and I don’t like them for classical or jazz at all. But that’s not what i got them for. Last night I threw on Dire Straits’ Brothers in Arms and had a blast!

They’re two different beasties, that’s all… HTH

Sep 30, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #7,302 of 7,702
Thank you for this nice answer. This confirms everything I have read about them. Some preferring them to Focal Clear and others ... I have never heard of a build quality problem on DCAs. If I can keep it as long as my 99 Classics soon to be three. So I think I've found my next headphone. All that remains is to save a little more. Thank you.

Sep 30, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #7,303 of 7,702
Lol. RT are probably the most comfy headphones I own. Light, and pads are great. With that out of the way, they are on the harman curve side of neutral, but great detail and a lovely ‘jazz club’ soundstage. Detail is amazing as well. I threw on some taiko the other night, because I love going to see taiko live, and I’m familiar with the attack and decay of the different drum sizes and mallet types. The RT gets them RIGHT, which I have found lacking (especially the decay part) in darn near all other headphones. They are not bass heavy, so if you’re a basshead, grab a Schiit Loki and dial it up a bit. But overall, I really enjoy them!

The 99s are fun, but very V-shaped, so for pop and rock, you can’t help but move with the music, they are that fun. But norpt as detailed, soundstage is pretty narrow, and I don’t like them for classical or jazz at all. But that’s not what i got them for. Last night I threw on Dire Straits’ Brothers in Arms and had a blast!

They’re two different beasties, that’s all… HTH
These are your sound impressions of the Aeon RT closed-back, correct? Thanks for the detailed feedback!

Oct 1, 2021 at 1:37 AM Post #7,304 of 7,702
Thank you for this nice answer. This confirms everything I have read about them. Some preferring them to Focal Clear and others ... I have never heard of a build quality problem on DCAs. If I can keep it as long as my 99 Classics soon to be three. So I think I've found my next headphone. All that remains is to save a little more. Thank you.
Um - preferring to the Clear? Not a chance! I just got the Aeon2 Opens, and WOW! Much larger soundstage than closed, better detail than the RT closed, and really solid (and they fold!).

you are most welcome!

Oct 1, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #7,305 of 7,702
Um - preferring to the Clear? Not a chance! I just got the Aeon2 Opens, and WOW! Much larger soundstage than closed, better detail than the RT closed, and really solid (and they fold!).

you are most welcome!
It is sure that the Aeon 2 is in a League above.
Sean Olive on AEON 2 Noire: "I like it quite a lot. Maybe the best magnetic planar headphone I've heard to date"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back